"You don't get a medal..."

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 12th, 2009, 12:15 PM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Small vent...

To me, this has got to be the most irritating and insulting comment about NCB that I've heard. I got it a lot when I was pregnant with Liam and it really bothered me. And I find it sad that its tossed around a lot to many women. To me, its inferring that the only reason I go drug free is because I get something superficial out of it. I don't choose to have my children naturally because I'm searching for accolades from my peers. I do it because it's what is best and healthiest for my children. I do a million things every day for my kids and most of it goes by unnoticed. If I was searching for a trophy to put on my shelf I'd enter a contest, not have a baby. I'm finding it increasingly difficult to hold my tongue these days. I just spent a good part of Mother's Day defending/arguing my position to homebirth our next baby to my family. I don't need an award to fuel my desire to go naturally...my healthy, alert, drug fee baby is my prize!

Grrr...I'm just so tired of it!

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

May 12th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Mystic_Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Mystic_Mommy
*hugs* I'm so sorry you're getting so much grief from others, that is so frustrating! I haven't had any of those comments yet but I'm sure I'll hear it soon enough.

May 12th, 2009, 11:21 PM
LindensMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
hugs!

May 13th, 2009, 05:45 AM
sillyp's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I hear ya! I was even called stupid by a neighbor/friend during my pregnancy with Brennen for wanting a NCB. STUPID! Can you believe that?!?!
Like you said, none of us are looking for rewards or medals, we want to do what is best in our minds and hearts for our children. Screw everybody and their ignorant comments.

Thanks, Jaidynsmum, for the beautiful siggy!

May 13th, 2009, 06:58 AM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The thing is that I've done this NCB thing twice already! I wouldn't think I'd still get comments and arguments.

I know that if I announced that I would have an elective c-section next time because we'll be far away from anyone we know and would have no one to watch the boys, and we need to plan when the baby would get here, etc. that they would think that was a smart idea.

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

May 13th, 2009, 07:10 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Jenn- the c-section rate at the local hospitals here is over 55%, you gotta think of the audience.

May 13th, 2009, 09:57 AM
ninja_mommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It really makes me mad when people say things like that. It's an individual choice. We don't walk around trying to convince other women to have a NCB. So do those commentators think they get a medal for getting an epi? Don't worry, we support you!
May 13th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
People are so unsupportive of the decision to go natural because they cant/didnt do it. Like we dont support their decision because we arent following in their footsteps. I say if they can be unsupportive then I should be able to be unsupportive of the birth that they choose. But in that case I would be the "bad" person.

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
May 13th, 2009, 11:51 AM
sillyp's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by **Jenn** View Post
The thing is that I've done this NCB thing twice already! I wouldn't think I'd still get comments and arguments.

I know that if I announced that I would have an elective c-section next time because we'll be far away from anyone we know and would have no one to watch the boys, and we need to plan when the baby would get here, etc. that they would think that was a smart idea.
Yep, I had done it before too and the comments STILL keep coming each time!

Thanks, Jaidynsmum, for the beautiful siggy!

May 13th, 2009, 12:32 PM
mom2bri's Avatar Super Mommy
Yes so frustrating!! I can't believe how judgemental people are towards NCB, its ridiculous.

Make a pregnancy ticker

May 13th, 2009, 12:35 PM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
One of the girls here made a blinkie a while back that said "Natural Childbirth, Been There, Done That, Deserve a Medal". I love that blinkie!

Even if we did get a medal, that's not why I do it. I don't do it because epidurals are evil. I'm not afraid of needles. I do it because that's what I want. Since we can't comment on others doing what they want (i.e., elective cesareans, etc.) I don't think they should be allowed to comment on us doing what we want. True, they may have been bullied into their c-section, but we're not being bullied into NCB. Maybe they feel guilty or inadequate?

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

May 13th, 2009, 12:35 PM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Double post, sorry!

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

May 13th, 2009, 12:36 PM
tygrss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yep. I definitely heard that one with DS. I also got tons of comments about having a Birth Center birth (one of my colleagues actually yelled "noooooooo!" down the hallway when he heard it. :/ Whatever.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search