Water birth ?s

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 12th, 2009, 01:07 PM
prettylilren20's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi there! I'm stopping in from the August DDC.

I'm seriously looking into having a water birth, however, I don't know anyone who's had one. If you've had a water birth, do you mind answering some questions for me? I'd really appreciate any help, I'm not quite sure that my doc does water births, but our birth center does offer tubs in all rooms, and I plan on staying in that tub for as long as possible.

What did you like about your experience? What did you not like about it? Would you have another one? What resources (books, websites, etc) do you recommend? If you'd like to share your birth story, that'd be awesome too.

Thanks so much!

Breastfeeding, Co-sleeping, Babywearing, CDing, Alternative Vaccinating, Stay at Home Momma!
May 12th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Mystic_Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Mystic_Mommy
I am hoping for a water birth for the first time too! I hope you find all your answers, I'd definitely be interested in hearing what others have to say who have already experienced it

May 12th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I LOVED my waterbirth!! I think it's wonderful. It eases pain, helps prevent tears, and helps relax you. You do need to wait until labor is active as it can relax you TOO much and slow labor.

With my first I labored in the water for most of the time, but the hospital didn't allow birthing in the tub so I had to get out at that point, but I credit the water with no tearing and a relaxed atmosphere.

with my first I had a water birth in a birth center. I wasn't in the tub very long that time because labor was pretty quick, but I still had no tears that required stitches despite pushing her out in under 1 minute.

both my birth stories are posted here:

baby #1 http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f2...7-20-05-a.html (Courtney Renee 7/20/05)

baby #2 http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f2...-michelle.html (Nola Michelle)
Nola's video is also on youtube, but the sound doesn't work. Gotta find time to fix that.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRP0d...e=channel_page

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

Last edited by Kelllilee; May 12th, 2009 at 01:21 PM.
May 12th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
I am possibly having one this go. I am not a big bath kinda gal so not sure how much it will relax me, but when I am in labor I will try it and if I don't like it I'll ge tout! lol

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

May 12th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Martina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvr.4.gtn View Post
I am possibly having one this go. I am not a big bath kinda gal so not sure how much it will relax me, but when I am in labor I will try it and if I don't like it I'll ge tout! lol
LOL I am not bath kinda girl either hahaha, I had 2 water births so far and planning my 3rd. I loved mine and would always try to go for waterbirth if I was going to have more kids which I am not haha.

May 12th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think it's something you can play by ear when you are in labor. I labored in the water part of the time, and ended up giving birth in the tub. I felt it really relaxed me and eased the pain of the contractions, which was wonderful with back labor! I will do it agian if we have another one, it was a great experience! You can find my birth story in the Birth Stories section on here, along with other waterbirth stories:
natural childbirth stories - JustMommies Message Boards

Here's an entire website on waterbirth: Home

The only book I read was The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth which I think had some information on waterbirth.

Expecting baby #4!

May 13th, 2009, 06:57 AM
~ Christine ~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think I would LOVE a waterbirth, as I take daily baths to relax myself. I don't really know if it's an option since I will give birth next time at a hospital (dh's a dr and there's no way around a hospital birth with him). The hospital is building a whole new birthing wing and I've heard there are going to be tubs there, but don't know for sure.

Many of you have said if you don't like it, you can get out..... but my question is.... I couldn't get up and move when I was close to delivery (after transition). I was way too tired, etc. How far into labor where y'all when you got out of the tub?

Forever missing our angel 8.31.07

May 13th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
With Courtney I got out of the tub when I was fully dilated to get in bed to deliver her. I was definitely in transition. It took me several minutes and people to help me out of the tub, but it can be done. Definitely would have chosen to stay in if I could have though. I think it was worth it anyway. I really truly believe the water labor prevented tearing and kept me relaxed. It took about 3 minutes to push her out, which for a first timer was REALLY fast, so I was surprised there was no tearing.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

May 13th, 2009, 02:29 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
it is totally possible to move, even while pushing. I've seen a mam get out of the tub with a baby crowning. Her daughter was born 3 minutes later. It did take 3 of us to help her, but it was done!

A lot of woman find that the water is rejuvenating and restoritive.

May 13th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
Quote:
Originally Posted by I want a baby View Post
it is totally possible to move, even while pushing. I've seen a mam get out of the tub with a baby crowning. Her daughter was born 3 minutes later. It did take 3 of us to help her, but it was done!

A lot of woman find that the water is rejuvenating and restoritive.
wow a man had a baby crowning??? lol just playing with you

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search