Hibiclens?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 13th, 2009, 04:01 PM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
Does anyone have any scientific date on using hibiclens to prevent transfer of GBS? The more I think about it - ever since it was discussed in here - the more scared I get that I will fail my GBS screening. I don't want an IV!!!! But I'm also terrified of the damage GBS can do to a baby. What can you guys tell me / show me about using hibiclens to protect against GBS? Thanks guys!

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
May 13th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I was told I could use it in labor if I was GBS+, but since I ended up being negative, I didn't get more information about it. I wouldn't suggest trying to test negative, unless it's something you will do up and through labor (like herbal supplements).

Expecting baby #4 in April - It's a BOY!

Two Little Monkies on Etsy
May 13th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Katy Moore's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My midwife told me that they could hook up the IV just long enough to get the meds in me, and then unhook it all. If you're positive, maybe you can discuss this with your OB or midwife.

Check out my boutique! Baby Bottom Boutique

May 14th, 2009, 09:30 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Are they going to do a swab or a urine test for the GBS? If you test positive through urine I recommend the antibiotics. If you only test positive through a swab then I recommend the Hibiclens. I cant remember where all I researched. I think I just googled GBS and Hibiclens. Plus both of the midwives I talked to had a bunch of information.

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
May 14th, 2009, 01:45 PM
I am going to ask my midwife about it tomorrow- any IV usually means more complications, and I hate IVs- then they want to add saline, or pitocin to deliver the placenta, etc so I just try to stay away from all of it!
May 14th, 2009, 01:52 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I don't know a lot about it but my main concern with antibiotics would be risking thrush. I got it a few months ago (odd to get so late in the game) and it was torture. Worst ever. So if I had to I would choose a natural remedy. But try not to worry too much yet!
May 14th, 2009, 02:11 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedbymore View Post
I am going to ask my midwife about it tomorrow- any IV usually means more complications, and I hate IVs- then they want to add saline, or pitocin to deliver the placenta, etc so I just try to stay away from all of it!
i have my GBS test on Monday and last time i did ask questions. The midwife said it is an IV, but they put the drugs thru you, then disconnect it. The antibiotics are repeated every 4 hours. The midwife said it would not exclude me from birthing at the birth center if i was positive and that is something they do there.

May 15th, 2009, 05:20 AM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm78 View Post
i have my GBS test on Monday and last time i did ask questions. The midwife said it is an IV, but they put the drugs thru you, then disconnect it. The antibiotics are repeated every 4 hours. The midwife said it would not exclude me from birthing at the birth center if i was positive and that is something they do there.

Wouldn't that mean though that you have to go to the hospital as soon as labor begins? Or can you still labor at home and just start the meds regimen when you arrive? That is my main concern. From everything I have read, women usually are more comfortable and avoid interventions if they labor at home as long as possible. I'm worried that testing GBS+ would preclude that.....

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
May 15th, 2009, 05:23 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have had clients gbs+ who have labored at home. We would just go in when real active labor had started, or if their water was broken. So, as long as water doesn't break right away then we did labor at home quite a bit.

I've never seen anyone given a heplock with IV antibiotics in the hospital though.... it's generally just done that the mom would have a continuous fluid drip.

May 15th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by I want a baby View Post
I've never seen anyone given a heplock with IV antibiotics in the hospital though.... it's generally just done that the mom would have a continuous fluid drip.
I have no idea how they do it at the Birth Center, but they said you get the antibiotics and then you are free to move and do whatever until they readminister 4 hours later. I guess I can ask more questions on Monday if I remember when they do the test. I will also ask about the Habiclens.

May 15th, 2009, 08:23 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
My Doula said in our childbirth education class that you have the right to refuse treatment. It seems sort of risky though, because if the baby does get it (not a sure thing) they have to go to the NICU. What I do know about it is that even if you test positive, it can go away by the time you give birth. So the whole thing seems pretty weird.
May 15th, 2009, 09:04 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
In some hospitals as well (ask your CP how it is at yours) they will do mandatory blood wrok on your newborn, and keep you extra long, even if you didn't get enough (like in a precipitus birth), or if you refuse.

It isn't like that everywhere, but many places it is. Of course you can always leave AMA in that case.

May 18th, 2009, 09:50 AM
photophreak's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Every hospital and unit are different, I am sure, but I just wanted to respond to this. I am an OB nurse. On the unit where I work, we regularly lock people's IV's between antibiotic doses. We do this so they can move around more comfortably in bed ( if they are choosing to stay in the bed), so they can utilize our whirlpool tubs for comfort and so they can walk around without having to lug the IV pole.
May 18th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Devan'sMama's Avatar ♥Devan's Mama♥
So what are the options if you do not want an IV?
May 18th, 2009, 11:04 AM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My old unit we did heplock women (did have to do a 1 min flush every 4 hrs to keep it open). It was more of a pain to have them hooked up. LOL
Also you would be surprised at how many moms don't get the antibiotics fast enough and have the baby before hand. I guess the way I look at it----if I have it I would refuse antibiotics and wait to see if baby does get it (which isn't as common as you think), IF baby did then they would get the antibiotics for it. But I don't like the idea of treating me/baby with antibiotics that baby may not need. Also I plan to use the cleanse pre my swab test to hopefully avoid even having to deal with it. My m/w just does the cleanse, she doesn't do the antibiotics if I was positive anyway. (she is the same mind set as me----why give medications for something baby may not have). UNLESS I have my bag of water broken for longer then 18hrs or I get a fever while in labor---then I get the antibiotics (just insert IV for them then take it out).
May 18th, 2009, 02:36 PM
I forgot to ask today at my appt I go back next week and will get the results. I swear she barely swabbed me at all. She actually told me I could go in the bathroom and do it myself or she could do it, and i chose to let her do it, but i could have easily gone into the bathroom and not done it, lol.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search