birth classes!

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 14th, 2009, 08:33 AM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm getting to the point where it's time to start looking into some birth classes. I found a Bradley instructor that seems really nice and am just a little on the fence about signing up. Did anyone here take bradley and have a successful NCB? I'm also trying to decide if we have enough money in the budget for it, or if I should just make the sacrifice and do it.

May 14th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I was just wondering the same thing. There is a hypnobabies class around us but it is 550 dollars. We could come up with the money but we have to save money for the birth also. I dont know what Im going to do... I will say however that I had nothing last time and really wished I would have so we will probably just go for it.

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
May 14th, 2009, 12:27 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm planning to take bradley. I think it is the BEST labor prep there is in most areas. Definatly worth it!

May 14th, 2009, 12:42 PM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hey monica...good to see you over here from our DDC! I just talked to my midwife about this on tuesday. I told her I planned on taking the Hypnobabies homestudy course because of my massage/energy work training I was good at getting myself to zone out and relax and thought this might be a good method. She agreed, but also recommended I at least read a book on The bradley Method so I would know what was happening at each stage.
May 14th, 2009, 01:16 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
How much is the bradley class? I would take that one. I, personally, could not get into the hypnobabies home study, i just do not have the time to commit to it, unfortunately.

May 14th, 2009, 01:36 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i start my bradley class june 2! I can't wait! its going to cost us about $300 but totally worth it! i know a few people who have taken the class with the instructor I am using and they all had beautiful, healthy, drug/intervention free births!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
May 14th, 2009, 02:37 PM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Let me ask you guys about Bradley...I keep hearing it is husband led birthing. Is it possible to do the methods alone? Not that my husband won't be there, but honestly when I am in pain I tend to like to be sort of in a corner alone so I can focus and breathe..that's why I think the Hypnobabies will work well for me. My hubby will participate as much or as little as I want.
May 14th, 2009, 02:42 PM
I am taking hypnobabies this go around, I took bradley last time and while it helped, it was still hard and I got medicine to push because I was plain exhausted. The hypnobabies has been great though! I know the homestudy costs about $150 total, and there are lots of boards there with others to talk to and instructors to ask questions if you need help. And see if there is more than one in your area- I am paying only $500 for hypnobabies and a DONA certified doula trained in the hypnobabies technique, so it may vary from place to place. Ours also allows us to pay over time, so it was easier to come up with the money.

BTW, hypnobabies is a complete course- meaning you will learn all stages of labor, nutrition, maternal health, gentle baby care, hospital procedures, etc, so you shouldn't need extra courses to find out anything else.
May 14th, 2009, 02:54 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by catherineclare View Post
Let me ask you guys about Bradley...I keep hearing it is husband led birthing. Is it possible to do the methods alone? Not that my husband won't be there, but honestly when I am in pain I tend to like to be sort of in a corner alone so I can focus and breathe..that's why I think the Hypnobabies will work well for me. My hubby will participate as much or as little as I want.
I think you'd be able to adapt bradley methods very well to a variety of situations. Not all bradley dads are involved to the extent reccomended, but I feel the method is no less helpful for that.

May 14th, 2009, 03:52 PM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm78 View Post
How much is the bradley class? I would take that one. I, personally, could not get into the hypnobabies home study, i just do not have the time to commit to it, unfortunately.

The one in my area is $350. I think its the same for hypnobirthing. I mean that's not too, too much. But I'm moving again and looking for a new job, so I'm not sure its the smartest investment. Granted, I have never been through labor before, so maybe I should take it so I dont have regrets (I'm having major pregnant swings about it ).

I was thinking about taking the hypnobirthing class and really like the concept. I read the book to see what it had to offer (I know the book is supposed to be read with the class, but I wanted to just see if I liked what it had to say). The book totally turned me off though. I didn't get great vibes from it and didn't like how most the book was trying to sell me on their method. I felt like I already picked up the book, now educate me a little and I might want to take the class! My SO felt the same way when he read it. I was a little bummed. But I'd been wanting to take the Bradley class from the time I knew about birth classes, and before I'd heard about hypnobirth, so I thought I'd go back to that. Just not sure the hospital offered classes will offer me as much as I want to get out of them. ..... sorry for that little vent sesh

Last edited by monica8; May 14th, 2009 at 04:01 PM.
May 14th, 2009, 04:04 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
our birthing class at the birth center was $250 and kinda just a big overview of natural childbirth methods, not one specific method. I think $350 is reasonable.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search