OT - Avon Walk

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 14th, 2009, 04:17 PM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My friend Maili mentioned to me today about doing the Avon Walk in SF July 11-12. I'm very interested but concerned about the fundraising. Each member must raise $1800. And it's less than 2 months until the walk.

have any of you ever done anything like this? Encouragement you can give? Advice? Warnings? Thanks.
May 14th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I've done a few walks for the American Cancer Society, but they were always with a group from work, so the fundraising wasn't an issue. We raised THOUSANDS because we all worked together to raise money at the hospital. $1800 seems like a lot of money in a short amount of time, especially with the economy the way it is. It's really a shame that they put a minimum on it like that. You would think they would take anything they can get?!

BUT....I know how awesome and determined you are, and I don't doubt that you could do it. Maybe target businesses? I would think that they would be able to offer bigger donations, than individuals.

GOOD LUCK!

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
May 15th, 2009, 04:17 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I am going to be the negative nelly here, lol. I used to volunteer for Train to End Stroke, which is like Team in Training, but it was with the Amer Heart Assoc and their division the Amer Stroke Assoc. We had 6 months to raise $2800 (i think that was the amount?). It was very very very difficult, imo. I am under the impression that raising money for breast cancer is easier, but $1800 is a lot of money, and in 2 months, that is crazy.

It took a lot of hard work for me to raise the money and that was even with some corporate sponsors which made up over 1/3 of my donations. I would sell pretzels at the market and walmart and what not, did bake sales, fundraising yard sale, and i had a bowling fundraiser. Other people did beef and beers. The people who seemed most successful were the ones who worked in big companies and had big families to ask for donations from.

I would evaluate where you would ask for donations and how much work you are willing to put into it. It was wayyyy more work than I ever anticipated and I had three times as long to raise money. It is totally possible and a great experience, but the stress of the fundraising was very hard for me. After that period, i did not fundraise with them, but did volunteer work to help them train and help others with their fundraising.

I am going to be the negative nelly here, lol. I used to volunteer for Train to End Stroke, which is like Team in Training, but it was with the Amer Heart Assoc and their division the Amer Stroke Assoc. We had 6 months to raise $2800 (i think that was the amount?). It was very very very difficult, imo. I am under the impression that raising money for breast cancer is easier, but $1800 is a lot of money, and in 2 months, that is crazy.

It took a lot of hard work for me to raise the money and that was even with some corporate sponsors which made up over 1/3 of my donations. I would sell pretzels at the market and walmart and what not, did bake sales, fundraising yard sale, and i had a bowling fundraiser. Other people did beef and beers. The people who seemed most successful were the ones who worked in big companies and had big families to ask for donations from.

I would evaluate where you would ask for donations and how much work you are willing to put into it. It was wayyyy more work than I ever anticipated and I had three times as long to raise money. It is totally possible and a great experience, but the stress of the fundraising was very hard for me. After that period, i did not fundraise with them, but did volunteer work to help them train and help others with their fundraising.

May 15th, 2009, 04:56 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'd have to agree with Meredith. Fundraising is really hard, and that is a LOT in a short amount of time. If you worked in a much bigger corp, then it'd probably be no problem. I know a lot of nurses do fundraising/walks all the time, but they tend to have a huge pool of people with money to donate.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search