Cordblood banking questions

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 15th, 2009, 10:54 AM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ok, so this is a topic I am currently researching. I at first had only heard how great it was, but now I am hearing otherwise. Then just a minute ago saw a post on the 'come join' thread about the advertisement on the Riki networking site and cord blood banking being a farce. Wanted to start a new thread so I didn't hijack that one

Please ladies give me all of your opinions and facts/articles..whatever ya have! I want to make a very informed decision when the baby is born. Thanks in advance!
May 15th, 2009, 11:22 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
we were strongly considering this when we were preggo with Cadie. Then I started doing more research and really, the best thing is to delay cord clamping until all the blood is back in the baby. That really is the best thing to do with the blood. Depending on where you give birth, they may or may not cooperate but you can push the issue. They really just like to check off their to do list. Also it is a gentler way to introduce baby to the world by leaving them connected longer.

When I was preggo someone dropped into our DDC and commented on our conversation about it. She had banked one of her child's blood and had a need for it for another child of hers. They charged a 30,000 hidden extraction fee. They had no idea about this fee and of course they had no choice at that point, they needed it. That is HIGHWAY ROBBERY and totally taking advantage.

I am sure others will have more info. It's so expensive and for such a big "what if" it just seems to be based on fear like so many other things around birth.

Last edited by moon~maiden; May 15th, 2009 at 12:19 PM. Reason: bad spelling!!
May 15th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Katy Moore's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
From what I've heard, it's a couple thousand dollars a year to keep the cord blood in the bank, and it's only really worth it if you know of any diseases that are hereditary in your family that it might be useful for. If you've got a lot of money just laying around, I guess it's not a bad idea to be safe, but if the budget's tight, I definitely wouldn't.

Check out my boutique! Baby Bottom Boutique

May 15th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Thanks for responding. $30,000 extraction fee!!!??? Oh my, that is scandalous. Do you know remember which company that was? There are a couple right? Viacord and another I can't remember the name. Wow...ok, definitely rethinking this one. I am going to talk to my midwife at my next appt. I think she would be cool with waiting and not clamping immediately if that's what we decide to do. We'll be birthing at home so we can be a bit more flexible.
May 15th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My thoughts were the same as Cheryl's. Plus, the birth center delayed clamping the cord and I don't think there is any blood left in it after that.

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

May 15th, 2009, 12:18 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
if you are doing a homebirth my guess is she will wait like an hour to cut the cord or more if you want. She did not mention the company but my guess is they all have that fee.
May 15th, 2009, 12:19 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
I can't find the numbers right now (I will keep looking) but I believe that around a third of the baby's blood is still in the cord upon birth. By cutting early, you are denying your baby much of their blood supply. And I have to think that the stem cells (the reason they want it) probably serve a developmental process in the baby. I will see if I can find the article wit the numbers for you. Another thing is that if there isn't enough blood, the whole process is moot anyway.

May 15th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee

I'd rather the blood go to the baby where it belongs

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

May 15th, 2009, 01:03 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
The biggest thing I saw in the research was that you really cannot use it for the child it comes from. We are only planning on one child and that kinda made my ears perk up. It is generally used to treat conditions of the siblings. What is the best thing to do is donate it to a public bank, where anyone can access it if they are a match. Most hospitals have a place they are affiliated with for public donation.

May 15th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Martina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
we wait for the cord to stop pulsating, did it with all 4 of my kids and planning to wait with 5th as well, DH wanted to do the cord blood banking with this baby (we have never done this before, never researched either) and I was told by my midwife and chiropractor too actually that if we wait to clamp till it stops pulsating we cant do the banking (which is very fine with me LOL), and they agreed that it is better to get this blood to the baby than anything else really.
Plus m/w said I would have to have some blood tests done before banking (which I hate needles and that made my decision easier, plus I wouldnt clamp the cord early no matter what)
And I heard same thing that you pretty much cant help the child that this blood came from with it, more like for the family members.

May 15th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
Quote:
Originally Posted by catherineclare View Post
Thanks for responding. $30,000 extraction fee!!!??? Oh my, that is scandalous. Do you know remember which company that was? There are a couple right? Viacord and another I can't remember the name. Wow...ok, definitely rethinking this one. I am going to talk to my midwife at my next appt. I think she would be cool with waiting and not clamping immediately if that's what we decide to do. We'll be birthing at home so we can be a bit more flexible.
my thoughts as well

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

May 15th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Sunny in CO's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
With DD I knew the cost was high so we never looked into it. We delayed the clamping of her cord until it stopped pulsing. I looked into donating this time but was unable to find anyone that would take it in our town. I know it's silly but I never thought about the fact that you can't get the blood if you wait for the cord to stop pulsing, baby gets it all!

May 16th, 2009, 06:19 PM
niknok's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to niknok
We banked our blood. While I understand the benefits of delaying cord clamping, I see babies do fine each day at work, who have their cords clamped immediately. I also have a favorite patient population at work- Peds oncology. I see children over time go from diagnosis, through chemo/radiation, thru stem cell and bone marrow transplants. I see families desperate to find matches for those transplants. So, b/c of all this my viewpoint may be skewed. But, as I see it giving my baby extra cord blood at birth isn't life saving. However, that blood may be life saving later if used in a needed transplant.

Come visit my blog!
May 17th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Mom4Life_11's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am not for it all at. I think there is a lot behind it we don't know about. JMO!

May 17th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Thanks again for all of the responses! I did some more reading online about the banking and I think I have pretty much decided against it. My husband was leaving it up to me. Will think about it some more because we still have time, but are pretty sure it isn't for us.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search