"Birth within 24 hours or infection"

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 18th, 2009, 04:49 PM
liveandlove0725's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I tried searching but couldn't find any links to any scientific data regarding the doctor's push of labor within 24 hours of a ruptured amniotic sac.

Do you guys know of any links here or anywhere that you can share?? Just wanted to read up on it in case my water breaks early or something.

Thanks ladies!!!
May 18th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
I don't have any links but my midwives told me that it's safe to wait 48 hours after rupture. The main reasons why infection is so risky is because of repeated internal exams. They also told me that like 90% of women will go into labor on their own within 48 hours. Sorry I couldn't provide any links though...

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

May 18th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husher View Post
I don't have any links but my midwives told me that it's safe to wait 48 hours after rupture. The main reasons why infection is so risky is because of repeated internal exams. They also told me that like 90% of women will go into labor on their own within 48 hours. Sorry I couldn't provide any links though...

My midwife said the same. She won't do any exams if your water breaks or after it does to avoid introducing infection. Well actually she doesn't do internal exams unless necessary (42 weeks is the earliest she does them) because of the risk of introducing infections. I love her for that, I dreaded my OB appts because of all the exams!!

Facebook
May 18th, 2009, 06:20 PM
liveandlove0725's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for the info!! Good stuff
May 18th, 2009, 09:26 PM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'll do some research for you. But in SF, my friend's homebirth midwife had a rule of 72 hours. As you can see it varies based on the provider. What's more important than hours is the sign of any symptoms like fever. Most midwives will regularly check your temps or have you do it if you're not in active labor & midwife isn't there yet.

The wide range in policy is alarming. I've heard of a few strict hospitals having even a 12 hour limit. Most midwives will go over 24 hours, with home midwives going the longest.

Last edited by ShaunaB; May 19th, 2009 at 10:00 AM.
May 19th, 2009, 02:45 AM
.adi.
My water didn't break but it was mildly leaking for 3 weeks before I went into Labor with Marcus and I didn't get an infection. I was even having sex a ton to try and get him out, lol. They do a test where they check you with a paper on their fingers and if it comes out blue than it's amniotic fluid. I went in and they did that test and it was striped blue and they said it was "inconclusive" and sent me home! Crazy dr's.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search