I need some advice....

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 20th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I was going to do a homebirth but we decided we just can't afford it (our ins covers hospitals 100%) So I am 12 weeks 3days and I am looking for a OB. I have called several and when I mention what I want for my birth (like no IV and only intermintent monitoring) They tell me that it is hospital protocol and I have to have and IV and continous monitoring (at one hospital) or monitoring every 30 mins (at another). Should I go with an OB that has these requirements? I know I have the right to refuse any "treatment" I want but will it be more hassle than it is worth? There is a CNM practice at another hospital here, I delivered my last with them. They promised me what ever I wanted but when it came down to it they were worse than a doctor would be. I don't know if I would have gotten a NCB with them if my water hadn't broken at home and I wasn't ready to deliver when I got there. I don't know what to do I could go with the homebirth midwife but it's going to cost quite a bit more and if I was to be transfered then it would be a lot of money wasted. I just don't know where we would come up with the funds for it. I really feel like the hospital route is the way to go for us but I am worried that I won't be able to get a NCB. I don't know what to do and I dont' know how to find an OB that is for NCB. Why does NCB have to be so wrong why can't I just do it my way in the hospital?

Basically what I am looking for is any advice on how to deal with an OB that isn't necessarily pro completely natural?
A-6yrs 3/08
J-4.5yrs 11/09
K 2.5yrs 9/11
And
L-7/12/14!!!!

May 20th, 2009, 02:32 PM
noworries
How frustrating? Does your insurance cover birth centers?
And as far as homebirth, my midwife returns all our money except $70 if for some reason we have to be transferred. Do you know anyone local who has had a NCB at a hospital that you could ask what OB they used? Maybe some childbirth educators or lactation consultants might know of a NCB friendly OB.
May 20th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
If they did cover Birth centers we don't have any anywhere near here. I don't know anyone around here that has had a NCB. I might see if I can find a doula service or something that can help me. I am so frustrated right now and I am over 12 weeks so I need to start prenatal care, but I don't know who to go with.
A-6yrs 3/08
J-4.5yrs 11/09
K 2.5yrs 9/11
And
L-7/12/14!!!!

May 20th, 2009, 02:40 PM
noworries
I think finding a doula is a great idea!
May 20th, 2009, 02:45 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I think finding a doula and finding NCB friendly OBs is the way to go. No matter who you go with, I would have a doula with you to help ensure you get your NCB. Good luck.

May 20th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Martina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
when I had my first 2 in hospital (with a pro natural birth doctor) I found a doula first and she gave me the name of the doctor (who was even willing to do water birth in hospital), and I had no IV's, no interventions, nothing. I was on the monitor for about 10 minutes when we got to hospital (they had to get the reading) but after that one time on monitor I was never hooked up to anything. Dr. used doppler only once in awhile, even while I was in the bath tub.

May 20th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I called a doula organization and they recommend a doc to me. After talking with her about him and reading reviews about him online I am excited to go talk with him. The doula even told me that he has allowed a woman to bring in her own birth tub and do a water birth in the hospital. I would love that. She said he is the type of OB you can go in and tell him what you want and he'll tell you what risks are associated with it and if you say you want it anyway he will do it. I was actually against a male OB but I am actually excited about meeting with him.
A-6yrs 3/08
J-4.5yrs 11/09
K 2.5yrs 9/11
And
L-7/12/14!!!!

May 20th, 2009, 03:36 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
OP- I work for homebirth/birthcenter midwives, and transfer rates for second (or more) time moms is pretty low, about 10%. If your first birth was uncomplicated and you are healthy and have minimal risk factors (advanced maternal age, VBAC, etc). Then your potential for transfering would be VERY low. I personally would not make your decision about having a homebirth based on fear of transfering. Birth is SO important, and you will never forget it. If you want what a homebirth is, in its essence, then you will likely not be happy with a hospital birth. Even when they promise you the mood, usually the best you get is a tiny taste of the stars.

I hope that financially you can make it work for you to have the birth you deserve. Contact a midwife, you may find someone you adore with a payment plan that can work for your budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chispaza View Post
How frustrating? Does your insurance cover birth centers?
And as far as homebirth, my midwife returns all our money except $70 if for some reason we have to be transferred. Do you know anyone local who has had a NCB at a hospital that you could ask what OB they used? Maybe some childbirth educators or lactation consultants might know of a NCB friendly OB.
wow... that would worry me a little, b/c it would seem like they may be slow to transfer, even when needed, if they will get so so so little. How are they able to do that? Without even having been paid anything for prenatal care? The amount of supplies they use has to cost more then that!

May 20th, 2009, 04:37 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
good luck with the OB referral, i hope he is the right one for you!

May 20th, 2009, 06:10 PM
LaLaRose3's Avatar My brand of heroin.
I hope that that OB is perfect for you!

If, however, he isn't... and you still cannot find a midwife that you can afford for a homebirth... have you ever thought about an unassisted homebirth? I know it is a scary thought, but I know several women who had unassisted water births at home with absolutely no problems. They each of course studied all the risks, and had back-up plans in the case that they may need it.

Anyway, I really hope you love this OB! Also... have you thought about maybe finding a doula that you can afford, maybe someone working toward their license or willing to make up a payment plan, to take with you to the hospital? She could be your voice when you are otherwise preoccupied with labor; as in keeping them from putting in an IV, etc.

(NO FACEBOOK, PLEASE!)

May 20th, 2009, 08:27 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
Hopefully this works out for you. Keep us posted.
May 21st, 2009, 08:25 AM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I hope that that doc works out!

If for whatever reason he doesn't, look at ICAN. If they know of any vbac-friendly doc I'm sure that the doctor would also be supportive of a regular natural birth.

May 21st, 2009, 09:08 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I have not had a C section I just am having trouble finding a doc that will support a totally natural delivery, IE no IV or continous monitoring.
A-6yrs 3/08
J-4.5yrs 11/09
K 2.5yrs 9/11
And
L-7/12/14!!!!

May 21st, 2009, 10:16 AM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~Amber~*~ View Post
I have not had a C section I just am having trouble finding a doc that will support a totally natural delivery, IE no IV or continous monitoring.
I guess I didn't explain where I was going well enough. I just meant that if there was a doc in the area who was pro-vbac there's a good chance that he/she also has the mindset of low interventions, since a c-section is the ultimate intervention.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search