BTDT Moms- Finding a Pediatrician?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 20th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Ladies- I'm relatively new to the area and barely have a doctor for me- in fact I've only seen my "normal doc" 2 times ever. I love my midwife, but I need a pediatrician. The birthing center gave me a list of docs who will come to the birthing center to check out the baby but it is a huge list! Do you have any advice for how to choose one (besides just someone covered by my insurance plan)? What kind of questions should I ask? What should I look for? I haven't started doing any research on vaccines, etc. and I'm not sure if I"m going to end up having enough time- I really need to have my pediatrician lined up pronto!!

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you CupcakeJamie for my beautiful siggy!

May 20th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
well for me there are a few things that are super important to me.. so I go from there.

if you plan to breastfeed make sure they are supportive. And don't ask are you supportive? They will say yes of course. Be more round about. "When do you think its best to wean from breastfeeding?" You will get a more accurate responce.

If you are hainv g aboy how do you feel about circing or not circing. Again ask them round about not straight forward. saying "What are your professional opinions on ciring or not circing?" will get you a better answer either way.

If you plan to vax on schedule I wouldn't worry, if you are concerned and want to research more make sure your ped is open to discussion about it and not slam the door in your face if you don't give 9 disases at 2 months kinda thing.

Do they have sick and well patient waiting areas?

if your child is sick how soon can you get an appt. (mine if I call before 3, its same day, after 3 its usually next day)

umm.. I have more but I am tired lol

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

May 20th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I would get a general idea of how supportive he or she will be of the things that are important to you. For me, I want a doctor supportive of breastfeeding and we've decided to at least delay vaccines, plus we cosleep and do a lot of things that are a bit against the grain. Being a FTM though, it's hard to know what will end up being important to you, so interview a few and just see who seems to fit your family best. You can always switch, it's not someone you are stuck with so don't worry about picking the perfect person. Keep the list so you can refer back to it if you do decide to switch after the baby is born.

I wanted to add, if you are unsure about vaccines, it never hurts to delay them. Be sure to find someone that isn't going to push you into it. You can always catch up on vaccines, you can't take them back out though.

Last edited by andi2284; May 20th, 2009 at 06:33 PM.
May 20th, 2009, 06:32 PM
LaLaRose3's Avatar My brand of heroin.
For me, it was finding a doc that believed in the same things I believed in. I didn't "interview" them in person, but I did ask questions over the phone to make sure that we would click. I would also find out exactly how MANY doctors are in the practice, who you would primarily be seeing, what their after-hours procedure was, and (this sounds silly) how far away they are from your house. Our pedi (who I loveeee!) is about thirty minutes or so away. And in the beginning, we had to go EVERY DAY for a week straight, and still go frequently. So that was a lot of travel time. I am still thankful that we chose this pedi, and they are for sure worth it... but it is something to take into consideration.

If you or DH have any beliefs about the healthcare of your child that you will NOT sway on (such as vaccinations, breastfeeding, etc), make SURE your pedi is in the same boat with you. I would also make sure to ask around about your favorite choice. See if you can find anyone who takes their child there... Look around on the 'net for reviews on doctors- there are several websites that allow people to post reviews on the care they have received. I ruled out a pedi because of the reviews I found, and I am glad I did!

Anyway, hope this helped a teeny bit. Good luck finding a pedi that you love!

(NO FACEBOOK, PLEASE!)

May 21st, 2009, 04:20 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
This was something that was quite hard for me. Every appt at the Birth Center they gave me a pediatrician form to return to them, I must have had ten of them before I found one that I liked!

I started to ask around, then once i got names, i googled them and did some personal research on them. However, one doctor kept coming up in recommendation. Two midwives had recommended her and I knew a few families who saw her, so I set up a consultation. I met with the pediatrician/family doc and FELL IN LOVE with her. She was so fabulous. She was open to DISCUSSING everything with me. My biggest pet peeve is doctors who think they are holier than thou and do not allow for intelligent discussion, especially on things like vaccinations. I am going to do most vaccines, but on our own delayed schedule and this was something very important to me.

I felt very very comfortable with the doctor and impressed with her bedside manner. My 15 minute consult was over 30 minutes long and she was BUSY that day. There is always someone available 24/7 as well at the office. I liked her so much that DH and I will see her as our primary. She is a primary care provider but has a huge pediatric patient base. She is about 20-25 mins from our home, but that is not too bad. She also seems like she is a breastfeeding nazi which i appreciated

May 21st, 2009, 06:54 AM
I Smile Because Of Them's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ditto to what the others said. The ped we went with was good...but she didn't make it to the hospital after I had my daughter & the on call ped was AWESOME. So we made the swictch & I freaking love everything about her. Good luck finding one. I see your in Michigan too...where at?

May 21st, 2009, 07:27 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
Well first of all remember you are not locked into anything so you can choose someone now and change later so try not to go too crazy putting pressure on yourself. Everyone has made great points already. We use a holistic MD for our daughter and I travel 40 minutes to see her but it's worth it for me. We only have 2 well visits a year so I don't go a lot. Of course she sees us when we need to go in for a specific reason.

Our doc doesn't have the best personality in the world but she does hold the characteristics that are important to us. I need a doctor that understands that we know our daughter best and we make the final decisions on her care. She supports selectively vaccinating (Cadie has had no shots so far) and she sees health the way I like to- keeping the body strong and healthy and preventing sickness instead of just reacting after. Cadie has never been on antibiotics and has only had Tylenol a handful of times. I can't believe how many times some of the babies in our playroom here on JM have been on antibiotics!

I also feel strongly that your childs doc should never dictate your parenting choices!

I will add more later about breastfeeding.

Like everyone has said you two should come up with what is important to you.
May 21st, 2009, 11:07 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thank you ladies! Jennifer, I live in SE Michigan about 20 min. out of Detroit. Are you around here too?

Thank you CupcakeJamie for my beautiful siggy!

May 21st, 2009, 06:46 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
ok, so I am back for my breastfeeding rant. It's been a while so this should be good.

Medical School doesn't really teach squat about breastfeeding. What they DO do is have lectures which are taught by FORMULA COMPANIES whom pay for these spots. So yes, you read right- everything that is taught about breastfeeding to medical students is "taught" by the very people who do not want us to breastfeed. It's basically a sales pitch.

Then you have doctors who have relationships with formula companies through sales people who visit their office. Formula companies are very shady -you may have heard about Nestle and all the controversy with them, and the reason why there are laws in place for what they can and cannot do, which they work hard to get around. Think Phillip Morris kind of shady. I could go on forever here, but I won't.

What results very often are pedis who know very little about breastfeeding, and give some very very bad information to new mothers. Everything from telling them to feed on a strict schedule to encouraging supplementing due to poor weight gain to diagnosing "breastfeeding jaundice" and the list goes on. If you happen to find one who is very educated on the subject, often it is because they themselves nursed, or because they have gone out of their way to find out the info on their own.

My advice is to take most of what your baby's doc says about breastfeeding with a grain of salt, unless you are sure they know what of which they speak. There are great books, the best website on the internet- kellymom.com and the breastfeeding board here on JM, LLL.

When I first had Cadie I read the best book- "how to raise a healthy child in spite of your doctor" written by a pediatrician. It gave me such confidence to play a big part in my daughter's care, and not to just pass everything off to the doctor because they have a fancy degree on their wall. I HIGHLY recommend it.

good luck!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search