Starting down a slippery slope

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 21st, 2009, 04:16 AM
Platinum Supermommy
http://wcco.com/health/boy.refuses.chemo.2.1012803.html

This worries me, what's next?

Expecting baby #4!

May 21st, 2009, 04:34 AM
.adi.
what?!? He's got cancer! Why would she not want to treat him?? I dont' understand people and am almost on the side of the medical staff with sedating him for it. But I also wanna know why they're refusing.
May 21st, 2009, 05:09 AM
Platinum Supermommy
But isn't that thier right? What if this came into play during labor, being told we legally need certain interventions during labor?

Expecting baby #4!

May 21st, 2009, 05:32 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I agree with the courts in this case. The cancer is treatable and curable. She is basically killing her son, and it is going to be a painful and ugly way to die. My friend had the same kind of cancer around the same age and she said if someone asked her then if she wanted the chemo she would have said no and that she really had no grasp of what that meant and that not getting chemo is fatal. I believe the boy also cannot read and is considered an "elder" in his church as well as a medicine man. I feel for the father right now.

I do not want courts to have to mandate medical treatments, but in this case, I have to agree.

May 21st, 2009, 07:26 AM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm78 View Post
I agree with the courts in this case. The cancer is treatable and curable. She is basically killing her son, and it is going to be a painful and ugly way to die. My friend had the same kind of cancer around the same age and she said if someone asked her then if she wanted the chemo she would have said no and that she really had no grasp of what that meant and that not getting chemo is fatal. I believe the boy also cannot read and is considered an "elder" in his church as well as a medicine man. I feel for the father right now.

I do not want courts to have to mandate medical treatments, but in this case, I have to agree.

I agree!

Facebook
May 21st, 2009, 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by andi2284 View Post
But isn't that thier right? What if this came into play during labor, being told we legally need certain interventions during labor?
The boy is a minor and the court ruled that he cannot make a sound judgement regarding his medical care. As a woman in labor, most likely, you will not be a minor and able to waive whatever medical treatment or intervention you may or may not want.

May 21st, 2009, 08:19 AM
Platinum Supermommy
But they do not consider most interventions as being for they mother, but for the baby. Obviously we want what is best for our babies, but we have all seen doctors twist something into being "best for the baby" when it's really for thier convienence.

The family is using alternative treatments, natural remedies to try and cure the cancer. They are not outright ignoring the situation, they have chosen another method of treatment. Just because chemo and radiation have been "proven" on cancer does not mean that everyone feels it's the best choice for them or thier children. I feel they have the right to choose whatever treatment they feel is best, even if others disagree.

Expecting baby #4!

May 21st, 2009, 08:26 AM
Unfortunately, the "alternative" treatments they are using are not working and the tumor is larger than it was before and larger than it was after his one chemo session.

May 21st, 2009, 08:27 AM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
There's a debate about it in the debate forum.

May 21st, 2009, 08:29 AM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am completely with Andrea on this one. If they have made the decision that they don't want him treated (and it sounds like it was his decision too), then no doctor on earth has the right to say "You must". That's a violation of rights and is a scary prospect if our far-from-perfect medical community suddenly has all authority in our lives.

It's wrong, and they should never be allowed to dictate what we 'must' or 'must not' do.

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

May 21st, 2009, 08:50 AM
Martina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with Andrea too, and I am sure we dont know all the info either. I believe in natural remedies, so for me it is not that shocking if people refuse chemo (I know few people who treated cancer naturally and beat it)
I think courts shouldnt tell parents how to treat their kids.

May 21st, 2009, 09:52 AM
I believe in natural remedies too (i am an acupuncturist!) however, with his alternative treatments his tumor has grown and the alternative treatments are not working. If the treatments were working, i do not think the court would have intervened.

May 21st, 2009, 09:57 AM
cheezpoofs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree that it is improper and downright wrong for the courts to intervene in parenting decisions. People should have the right to treat or not treat their illnesses as they see fit. Courts should not be butting into the matter of parenting - it isn't the government's place. They are overstepping their boundaries, as are the doctors.

It is a dangerous and scary slippery slope. I do not agree with the courts or doctors forcing this boy to undergo chemotherapy.

Last edited by cheezpoofs; May 21st, 2009 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Added Something
May 21st, 2009, 01:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
hmm interesting topic..... While I hate that the courts are stepping in because when does it stop, but where does it start as well? What if this boy was 2 years old? His tumor is getting bigger with their alternitive treatments and he is going to die from it..... Tough one, have to go read on the debate bords

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

May 21st, 2009, 01:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvr.4.gtn View Post
hmm interesting topic..... While I hate that the courts are stepping in because when does it stop, but where does it start as well? What if this boy was 2 years old? His tumor is getting bigger with their alternitive treatments and he is going to die from it..... Tough one, have to go read on the debate bords
i feel the same way, where is the line you draw? I agree with the courts, but where do you draw the line?

I did read the debate boards. Interesting points made.

May 21st, 2009, 02:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
That's true, but they still have the right to continue on with a natural treatment. Just because it doesn't work as fast or may not be as effective, doesn't mean it's not thier right to use them. If it was a younger child, I may also feel a little differently, but he is also refusing treatment and it's scary that they want to hold him down to do it. IMO, where do they have the right to do that? He may be 13 but he understands what death is and that is a possibility with or without treatment.

I don't mean to start a debate, I did glance at this topic on the debate board. My thoughts when I saw it on the news this morning were "Oh no, what could this mean for natural birth or parents who choose not to vaccinate, among other things?" I see things going downhill in the next 50 years as it is, this is a scary step though towards being required to do things medically that we do not want to.

Expecting baby #4!

May 21st, 2009, 04:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
I think we are all civil here to not not debate, as that is what the debate baords are for lol
but, the problem I see with the court NOT stepping in, is what if this was a case that the parents jsut don't want to spend the money on chemo, alternative is cheaper and its a phycological abuse situation.
Is it ok to spank your children? I don't feel its abuse to spank with a hand in a light way? I wouldn't personally but others do, I don't feel its abuse but... I would consider spanking with a belt abuse.. t hough others don't..... its hard line to figure out when they should over step parents and when they shouldn't

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search