Question (tv birth show related)

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 21st, 2009, 11:27 AM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Since we all watch these shows anyway and pick them apart..

This one has had me scratching my head for a while. It was one of those shows, and as the baby was being delivered the cord was wrapped around the head, so the doctor cut the cord, but then was unable to get the baby out for like another 5-10 minutes and the baby once born was in bad shape. I had to leave for work so I never found out what happened, and only saw that small portion so I don't know if the heart rate was affected or not. I just know from reading that many times if the cord is wrapped around the neck/head you can often move it over. Thoughts?

May 21st, 2009, 11:31 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I have seen a couple of birth videos thru the birth center where the cord is wrapped around the baby's neck (one was wrapped three times) and the midwife unwrapped it before the rest of the baby was delivered.

May 21st, 2009, 11:38 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
usually it can just be unlooped. Occasionally it's wrapped really tightly and needs to be cut, but not often.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

May 21st, 2009, 12:03 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Did he even try to unwrap it? Or did he jsut cut it? If he didn't try to unwrap it I would have sued him if I were the parents. I am not usually the type of person to sue, but in that situation it might have been justified.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
May 21st, 2009, 08:23 PM
liveandlove0725's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ablepearl View Post
Did he even try to unwrap it? Or did he jsut cut it? If he didn't try to unwrap it I would have sued him if I were the parents. I am not usually the type of person to sue, but in that situation it might have been justified.
Ditto!!
May 21st, 2009, 09:57 PM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
If I remember correctly Jayden's was around his neck 3x's and he just unwrapped it before I pushed the rest of him out, no issues from it!

Facebook
May 21st, 2009, 10:16 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
yeah, it's quite common for the cord to be around the neck. Courtney's was. Nola's was looped around her arm and leg, but not her neck.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

May 22nd, 2009, 07:13 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
It is very common. Cadie's was wrapped around two times. No one told me until afterward. They just quietly unwrapped it.
May 22nd, 2009, 10:29 AM
I wish I had seen it from the beginning, but it didn't appear that he tried to unwrap it. The whole thing seemed like he didn't know what he was doing. I thought though that in most cases you can just unwrap it, thanks for confirming it! If that could have been done, I think that it was malpractice.

May 24th, 2009, 04:33 AM
photophreak's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
A loose cord can be slid over the baby's head before delivery. A tight nuchal cord sometimes has to be clamped and cut prior to delivery of the shoulders because it will not go over the baby's head (due to being so tight). Forcing it could cause the cord to break and the broken ends being "lost" up the birth canal, causing possible hemorrhage of both mom and baby.

The doctor or MW will be able to tell whether the cord can be reduced when they slide their fingers underneath it, so it could easily look like they didn't try to reduce it on a TV show.

Believe me when I say that no doctor or MW wants to clamp and cut a cord before the baby's shoulders are delivered, and they only do it if they have to. Once that cord is cut, the baby is getting no oxygen until it is born and takes it's first breath.

There are factors that can delay deliver after the tight nuchal cord is clamped and cut (shoulder dystocia, mom deciding she can't do it anymore, etc).

As a gentle PSA- If your baby is born with a tight nuchal cord, and it is clamped and cut prior to the delivery of the shoulders, when your doctor and nurses ask you to push, push like you mean it. Stories of tight nuchal cords always remind me of one particular newborn resuscitation after a delivery where this happened and Mom was having a hard time being convinced that she really needed to push her baby out. All worked out in the end, but it is an experience that I will never forget. It's not usually a topic that gets a lot of time in birth class, I don't think.
May 24th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the info!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search