Nothing is fair! - 1st Appointment - Raantttt

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 21st, 2009, 10:17 PM
seahorse_3's Avatar I have an oil for that!
How is it even legal for practitioners to refuse patients who won't 100% comply to everything they demand? I went to my 1st prenatal today and was told either I get my blood work or I find another provider. That is some true bulls#%@ in my opinion.. Especially when I work my butt off to find a provider that will even accept my rotten DSHS insurance in the first place!

I KNOW I don't have any of those diseases nor do I have STDS, etc etc. Take the bloodwork from my previous pregnancy I can promise you it's exactly the same. I'll eat my own foot if it's miraculously different. My diet has been the same my entire life there's not a chance in Hades I have diabetes all of a sudden. I don't even have a sweet tooth I veer away from sugar. Blablabla, like it matters anyway. I can tell you this, if they try coming near me with that sugar tar drink I will walk my angry @ss out. I'm not doing that, to be honest, I CAN'T. I can't even tolerate cough syrup I KNOW I'm not stomaching that God awful tonic. And isn't the point in pregnancy to NOT stress myself to death??

Anyway I'm just hoping this isn't a sign of negative to come. I hope I picked a widwife that is more midwife, less nurse. I don't want to have to fight my freaking way to GET my freaking way for every little thing. I don't want to be bombarded with breastfeeding schpeals when I've BTDT, I KNOW. Everyone gets turned off when I say I plan to pump only or plan to stop BF all together after a month or if I say I want to FF from the get-go, GET THE HECK OVER IT! I don't want to vaccinate my baby because I think your salvation in a tube is bullcrap, GET OVER IT. I don't want you bathing my baby after birth because I want to massage the vernix in, GET OVER IT!!!!! I will stop there, before I pop a vessel..

Anyway... So yeah I finally had my first appointment today lol... What's neat is I have an ultrasound on June 2nd That's my two year wedding anniversary! We couldn't afford to do anything so this will be nice and fun. I realllly like the facility too. I can't wait to tour and oggle the whirlpool tubs I get to birth in

--
Nature is there for you.
dōTERRA. Ask me how.
May 22nd, 2009, 05:48 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
aww, sorry they were so hard to deal with! We require bloodwork also (we're a homebirth/birthcenter facility) and although it stinks it is essential for safety and in the case of transfers it makes things go a lot better.

May 22nd, 2009, 07:50 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
interesting......what do you think you will do?
May 22nd, 2009, 07:53 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Just curious, why are you refusing the baseline bloodwork? I refused a lot of the genetic testing, but I did get the basics like iron, etc, done.

As far as the glucose test, you can opt for OJ over the glucose drink as well.

May 22nd, 2009, 08:23 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
oh, I did want to comment on your orrigional question- if it is legal. Yes, it is. They have to still care for you for 30 days, but after that they have no obligation to you. They do have to formally end the Dr/patient relationship, usually with a certified letter in the mail, before the 30 days starts.

May 22nd, 2009, 08:26 AM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm planning a homebirth and my midwife still did the basic blood draw. She did give me the choice if I wanted the STD tests or not so I refused. All genetic testing was also up to me. Hope your midwife is more midwife than nurse
May 22nd, 2009, 09:18 AM
mommy1980's Avatar Super Mommy
My doc also requires the basic bloodwork. The Std screening and genetic screening is optional. As far as the breastfeeding and the bath that is completely up to you. I know for me being a nurse all i ask is how the breastfeeding is going. The bath i ask every mom when they want the bath or if they want the bath. Hopefully everything works out for you.

Arissa born August 28, 2009 at 1050 am

7lbs. 20 1/4 inches

May 22nd, 2009, 09:34 AM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Maybe you could look into a homebirth midwife and find a way to pay out of pocket. I had the option on a lot of the STD and genetic tests, although the only one they did require was one of the strains of hepatitis, apparently because in the past the doc had had a patient with it and there were some problems. If you do have to stick with the doctor, maybe you could go over with him what they test for and negotiate, like leave off the STD's but get tested for iron, Rh, thyroid, stuff like that.

May 22nd, 2009, 09:44 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
oh yeah, the Rh is important, I had no idea I was Rh negative until I was pregnant and had my blood work done.

May 22nd, 2009, 03:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
aww sorry it was tough. My midwife requires baseline blood work as well. Genetic is optional and was never even mentioned in an appointment, its just in the book she gives saying if you want it tell her. We do have to do HIV test as well as that is state law. Not worth fighting in my opinion, no real risk to get it kinda thing.
We do jelly beans or the drink... its not as bad as cough syrup anyways, more like flat soda with sugar mixed in.

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

May 24th, 2009, 03:17 AM
photophreak's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Unfortunately there is so much litigation for OB/GYN's today that they have to be able to cover all their bases.

If they can't document that they screened you for these things and something does come back out of the ordinary, you would most likely win the suit against them, in the event that it affected your baby in a negative way. They would be held professionally negligent.

(I'm sure you wouldn't bring a suit though, since it would have been your choice to forego the testing that would have alerted to problems, in the first place.)
May 24th, 2009, 05:17 PM
seahorse_3's Avatar I have an oil for that!
My husband's cousin had the RH problem with all 3 of her pregnancies and she refused to do anything about it and not a thing went wrong. I'm not saying this is how things are for everyone my point is opposite and that people should be given the right to weigh their own pros and cons..

There's no way we could afford a homebirth midwife out of pocket though, unfortunately.. I do wish. I will wait until it gets more hairy than this to turn to another practice though, I'm dead set on their spa tubs! If they bother me with the glucose test I'll insist on that OJ suggestion. Thanks.

--
Nature is there for you.
dōTERRA. Ask me how.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search