A baby story episode kinda scared me...

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 22nd, 2009, 07:14 PM
.adi.
The lady did a natural birth and was screaming that she couldn't do it anymore and was writhing in pain. I had to turn the channel because it really disturbed me. Makes me wonder if I can actually do it or not? I'm kinda scared and worried I'll break down if the pain gets to be too much but I really don't want to. Will that feeling of really not wanting to get an epi be enough to hold me through?
May 22nd, 2009, 07:38 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The important thing to remember is that by that point you are really almost finished!

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
May 22nd, 2009, 08:25 PM
LaLaRose3's Avatar My brand of heroin.
Exactly! The only time i screamed/cried was when i was ten centimeters and ready to push! by that time, the pain changes... you are pushing, which is really relieving.

You CAN do it!

(NO FACEBOOK, PLEASE!)

May 22nd, 2009, 08:32 PM
Martina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
for me the fear of epidural and needles was enough to keep me away from epidural and any other interventions

May 22nd, 2009, 09:03 PM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Turn off the tv...LOL I seriously started scaring myself by watching those shows..especially when someone wanted to go natural and almost never made it through because they lost it in the end and asked for an epi. Did you take any sort of childbirth class or have a plan in place? Since I am having a homebirth there will be no epi available to me so that removes that option, BUT I still plan on being prepared so that I don't lose it and start screaming and writhing in pain. I plan on doing hypnobabies so that I can stay focused...like a lady at the grocery store told me the other day..the key is to stay focused because once you succumb to the pain that's when the yelling starts! Good luck with your labor!!! You can do it...and if you start to think maybe you want an epi just remember the needle and that they're not comfy to get at all
May 22nd, 2009, 09:32 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
seems like those shows really play up the pain in NCB stories. If you panic it WILL be more painful, so its important to be prepared and stay focused and relaxed. I had a few moments where I panicked and the pain was overwhelming, but once I got myself under control it was fine. I only screamed/yelled once during either birth and that was when Courtney was crowning.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

May 22nd, 2009, 10:14 PM
liveandlove0725's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I saw it too! I can't believe she made it to 9 cm and then got in the car to go get an epi. I think the midwife was right - she didn't REALLY believe in her ability to do it.

She didn't look prepared either...it scared me too a bit though anyway.
May 23rd, 2009, 03:17 AM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When you hit the point when you say "I just can't do it!"...you've already done it! That point comes so close to the end it's pointless to worry about it...the next thing your midwife/doctor is going to say is, "OK, let's push!"

(I know, that's what I did I was like "No more, give me something!" and Kerrie said, "No way, hun, you need to push now!" And I was like "Oh...cool.")

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

May 23rd, 2009, 03:23 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Quote:
Originally Posted by liveandlove0725 View Post
I saw it too! I can't believe she made it to 9 cm and then got in the car to go get an epi. I think the midwife was right - she didn't REALLY believe in her ability to do it.

She didn't look prepared either...it scared me too a bit though anyway.
isn't it too late at that point to get an epi?

May 23rd, 2009, 06:28 AM
.adi.
That's not the one I saw... That lady got stuck at a 9 for 3 hours or something [which I didn't know could happen?? I think they measured her wrong or something]. The one I saw she made it all the way through but she was SCREAMING her head off and they kept telling her not to move cuz the baby was coming, lol.

Thanks for your support ladies. I really appreciate it. I've not done a class or anything It's been really hectic here with other things since my move. I only JUST got a dr's appointment. I've not had one in 5 weeks!
May 23rd, 2009, 07:43 AM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yeah, I'm convinced not to believe any of that stuff on tv. I mean they could have a person on that "wants a NCB" and that's their schtick for the story line. Maybe in her interview she was like "oh I want to try that," and they made the focus about it. There isn't really a good perspective about how much effort they put into it, except what you see on camera. Plus they play up the drama so people watch. Like on bringing home baby, "Will they ever get the hang of soothing their baby??" kinda statements are made that just make me laugh... its been 24 hours. Try not to let it get to you!

May 23rd, 2009, 08:09 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I remember that one, it was a home birth and her first baby, I believe?

Quote:
When you hit the point when you say "I just can't do it!"...you've already done it! That point comes so close to the end it's pointless to worry about it...the next thing your midwife/doctor is going to say is, "OK, let's push!"
Exactly, usually women in transition get to that "I can't do this, I want an epi" point. Technically, it's not too late, but it's pointless to get an epidural that far into labor. I had mine at 10cm because they didn't check me before putting it in. Now I kick myself thinking I could have done it naturally if they would have just checked.

Expecting baby #4!

May 23rd, 2009, 10:07 AM
BellaBellski's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by New_England_Girl View Post

(I know, that's what I did I was like "No more, give me something!" and Kerrie said, "No way, hun, you need to push now!" And I was like "Oh...cool.")
totally!! You just have to keep in mind -what- the pain is -doing-, every contraction is one step closer to you meeting your little baby and seriously, you get a nice little break between contractions (not a long one, but a break ) up until the very end and then its one on top of the other, and its hurts, and then BABY!!

Proud Mommy to Mattea Lilian born February 21st 2007 - 7lbs 14oz &
Owen Markus James born October 21st 2009 - 10lbs
Forever loving & Missing ~Damian~ born into heaven August 13th 2008
May 23rd, 2009, 11:30 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I def. think that those shows are rediculous! When you are really well prepared and dedicated to a NCB you can almost always do it!!!!

belive in yourself, and change the freaking channel!

May 23rd, 2009, 01:02 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
How many times you want to bet they've filmed a super awesome natural childbirth, then didn't air it because it didn't have enough drama? I wouldn't be surprised. And though they are few and far between, I have seen natural where the woman was maybe moaning or even yelling some, but wasn't freaking out and did have a NCB. But maybe only 2 or 3. And there are a lot of them that are like "I want to try and go natural, but I am open to the epi if I need it". Usually those people aren't very dedicated and haven't done anything to prepare.

May 23rd, 2009, 03:44 PM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Keep in mind that positioning of the baby can affect pain level, maybe her baby was posterior. And also, maybe for her it helped more to scream than to quietly breathe.

Quote:
isn't it too late at that point to get an epi?
I got one after I'd been pushing for several hours, so 9 cm should be fine.

May 23rd, 2009, 04:41 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
yay they play up the worst case scenerios on those shows to get people to watch. Not so much fun watching a drama show when there is no drama.

Just like you hear woman in ddc say "I hope to go natural but if I can't I can't" you know they will get an epi98% of the time.

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

May 23rd, 2009, 06:30 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
it really is very natural to feel you can't do it.... Although done women have easy labors and don't experience that,most do. I know I sure did. I didn't have actual back labor but I had terrible back spasms at the base of my spine with every contraction. That overshadowed my actual contractions. I also transitioned at the speed of light so it was really intense. I went through about 45 minutes of thinking I couldn't do it. Once I moved on to pushing (3 hours) I made a ton of noise and actually sobbed between contractions. I felt so bad about the way I acted until my doula came for the follow up and set me straight.

The point is that there is no shame in making lots of noise and doing what you need to to get through. And also no pregnant woman should watch those shows!

You can do it!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search