My not-natural childbirth-x-posted

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 26th, 2009, 09:16 AM
lttle_one's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lttle_one
Well, I'll spare you the 4 pages I wrote for the baby book and give you all the short version, now that I'm finally ok enough with this to write out the story.

My water broke at about 2:15pm on May 5, 2009. I didn't spring a leak, my water gushed, there was no mistaking it! Lol. Contractions started about 45 minutes later. They got strong quick and were 2 1/2 - 3 minutes apart from the moment they started. I had been thinking I would have to go walking to get things started, but that wasn't the case! By the time I got home from my BFF's house, where I had been babysitting, to shower, I was having to breathe through my contractions. Not an easy thing while trying to shave! DB and my BFF were worried because they were coming so fast already. So I got ready and called the dr and off to the hospital we went. I figured I must have made some progress. I had had contractions that kept me up for a few hours the night before, and these contractions were so strong that they had to be doing something! I got checked around 5pm, and 2 nurses checked me to be sure. I was 100% effaced (I had been 90% 5 days prior) but only a fingertip dilated! I was crushed. The contractions were getting worse and not long after the dr came in and stretched me to 2. That pain was a thousand times worse than any contraction and I was bawling when he finished. It was really hard not to kick him in the face while he was doing it. Then he told me I should get an epidural. I snapped something rude back and the nurse scooted him out of the room quickly. Lol.

There was a wonderful nurse that came to my room to help coach me through. I found out later, she wasn't even my nurse and stayed hours after her shift was over because she wanted to help me get through. She was amazing. She got the birth ball for me, helped with positions and breathing, and also coached DB and my BFF on how to help me and helped rub my back. I never would have made it as long as I did if it weren't for her. But after the doctor stretched me, the contractions were even harder and I didn't have a chance to breathe in between them. Had I been further along, maybe I could have done it, but I knew I was only 2 cm and I was bawling and couldn't stop. I finally told DB I couldn't do it and I was sorry. He was super supportive, I think he couldn't handle knowing I was hardly that into it and in so much pain so I gave in and got the epidural. Once I was settled in to the bed I was checked again and at 6. 2 hours later I was 9 and 1/2 hour later I was 10. My dr wanted me to push, but the nurse (new nurse at this point, but she was wonderful too) knew I wanted to do self-directed pushing. So she came and turned down my epi so I could feel the urge and sat in the room with us so the dr thought we were working on pushing. Lol. She told me to let her know when I felt ready. Around 11:30 I said I felt like I should push. So I pushed and rested and chatted for 1 1/2 hours and at 1:06am my princess was born. I needed 1 stitch.

I'm still upset that I got the epidural, but I never could have endured that pain for that long. I'm thankful that there were no long term effects on me and Cherie and she was born healthy. All I can do is continue to prepare myself and hope I can do it next time. In talking with the nurses and my childbirth teacher, they all seem to think I could have done it had my water not broken before labor started. But it was too intense too fast with my water breaking. I'm still working on not feeling like a complete failure.
May 26th, 2009, 09:31 AM
.adi.
you know, my labor with marcus started that hard and fast out of nowhere too and I was 1 cm for FOREVER before finally getting to a 4. I know how frustrating it is to have STRONG, hard and fast contractions and be flabbergasted that they weren't doing anything. I got an epi with him like half an hour after I arrived at the hospital so you lasted longer than I did! I know how bad it hurts to have labor like that and I'm actually extremely impressed that you lasted that long. Don't be hard on yourself. All in all it doesn't really matter how we got there or if it was perfect, just that you both are healthy
May 26th, 2009, 09:38 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry you feel disappointed, it is so hard when you aren't able to achieve your goals. Luckily everything worked out, and you are both happy and healthy. Congratulations, she is beautiful, and you did a great job! You should be so proud of the miracle you helped to create and bring into the world.

I think though, that it may help you prepare for next time if you don't blame your water breaking early on. Yes- that is harder, but you can do it if it happens again next time! Having more support could also make a difference- you may have been able to stay home longer if you'd had that before meeting that nurse in the hospital. I hope you take my thoughts with the feelings of support and faith in your ability to have a NCB next time that I intend it with.

May 26th, 2009, 10:02 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I was at 1cm forEVER yesterday with my contractions which were hard and regular, for the most part. It was horrible and I almost cried after the two initial exams. I ended up with a section though cause she turned breech, so I know how it is to be disappointed.

May 26th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Katy Moore's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm glad you finally shared your birth story with us! I think the pain may have been easier to tolorate if you could have stayed home longer, but with contractions being 2-3 minutes apart right from the start, its impossible to know you still had that long of a labor in front of you. :/ I really hope next time goes better for you!

Check out my boutique! Baby Bottom Boutique

May 26th, 2009, 11:02 AM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
She's beautiful, congrats! Sounds like even though it wasn't drug-free, you still had some great caregivers around you that brought back in some natural elements.
May 26th, 2009, 11:07 AM
lttle_one's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lttle_one
Katy, I agree with you there! DB was all about us staying home as long as possible, but there was no way to know that I still had such a long time left and he was nervous that the contractions were so close together.
May 26th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
I'm sorry you were not able to get the NCB you wanted but look at that precious baby!!! Congrats to you!!!

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

May 26th, 2009, 03:18 PM
tygrss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Awww. What a sweetie. Congrats!

Sorry, that you didn't get the birth that you wanted. Thankfully, it sounds like you had great nurses around you. Enjoy your baby!

May 27th, 2009, 11:16 AM
mom2bri's Avatar Super Mommy
Congratulations she is sooooo beautiful! I am sorry things didn't work out exactly like you wanted but as everyone says you are both doing well and that is all that matters. I had an epi with DD and now I am trying for NCB, so no worries there is always next time, hehe! Thanks for sharing your story

Make a pregnancy ticker

May 27th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
Awww, please don't feel like a failure! You did NOT fail. It is impossible to know how labor is going to go and what it's going to feel like. The most important thing is that you both are doing well and that you need to forgive yourself. You did a great job bringing her into this world, no matter how she got here. Be proud of yourself - I am! HUGS!

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search