What would you do? - question from a lurker

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 26th, 2009, 03:06 PM
kellyanne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi, I'm a lurker, but I have a question and hoped I could get some feedback from other like-minded mamas. I wish that I had internet access at the hospital, because I've already had to make quite a few decisions.

I am nearly 38 weeks. I went to the hospital on Friday with SEVERE back pain. They thought I was in labor, of course, but I have already had kidney stones once this preg and knew that the pain was much more indicative of that. Once kidney stones were determined, I was given morphine (there is no way I could handle the pain w/o drugs...I've done pit w/o drugs and this is WAY worse and relentless). It is like constant transition with vomiting and shaking. After days of in and out of hospital and lots of morphine I had to decide between: non-invasive surgery with a spinal, more narcotics while trying to pass stone (they gave me a 50/50 and could take a long time) or induction w/epidural. I chose the surgery and am currently recovering. I'm hoping this will allow me to have the birth I want in a few weeks. BUT.....there is another stone on the other side which I'm hoping and praying doesn't move. If it does....I'll have another similar decision to make, WWYD?? Thanks for any input you may have. I feel like I've been put in a really tough spot for someone who didn't want any drugs.

By the way, my spinal was fine, didn't hurt, etc. but I hated the "paralyzed" feeling and having it made me even more sure of not wanting it during labor.

3 angels Feb, Mar, Aug of 2008
May 26th, 2009, 06:14 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
wow, that's a pretty unique situation and I am stumped. I know kidney stones can be brutal, Ive never had one but my husband gets them and he basically hightails it to the hospital at the first signs for morphine.

Hopefully it won't move, I know when they did xrays on my hubby last month when he had one they saw ones on his other side, that have apparently been there for ages. I hope you get lots of rest and heal up fast in time for your birth!

I am sure others will have a better answer for you, I'm sorry.
May 27th, 2009, 02:10 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
A consideration for me would be how likely is it htat the other stone will move after your LO is born? B/c recovering from a kidney stone, or being hospitalized and treated for one would be very hard with a baby. Depending on that answer, I may consider discussing and getting it removed before the birth as well.

I'm so sorry you're in this situation. It isn't easy, or fair!

May 27th, 2009, 06:08 AM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
Is there any way they can laser it to pieces without hurting the baby? A friend had that done when she had a really big one, so she could pass everything. She had pinchy pains for a few days while the pieces were passed, but nothing like trying to pass larger stones.

May 27th, 2009, 09:47 AM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That is a tough call. I would also consider how well the baby responded to the first surgery. Good luck!

May 28th, 2009, 08:10 AM
kellyanne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for you replies ladies. I had to go back to the hospital shortly after making this post. I had another night of morphine...blah! The urologist says that pain episode was left over from the surgery and there are no new stones on the left. He also says he can't help me any more until after I've delivered. I haven't had any drugs in more than 24 hours and am doing okay now. I told the OBs that if I had to come back again, I would induce. So, now I just have to hope the pain does not return.

Also, they can't do the laser thing on a pregnant woman and they can't do surgery on the right until after delivery because the stone is high.

3 angels Feb, Mar, Aug of 2008
May 28th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
I have no advise but well wishes to you !

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

May 28th, 2009, 08:36 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
well, and glad at least the pain is under control now!!!! I'm keeping you in my T&P.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search