a question for you...

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 27th, 2009, 08:36 AM
ilovemy3girls's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
First, I wanted to give Cheryl (doulamama) a HUGE CONGRATS on the pregnancy!!! I was on the TTC boards with you last summer! I'm sooooo happy for you!

now for my question...

I had an epi with both of my girls and before I had it, it seemed like I was "stuck" at 1.5cm (for 6 hours with DD1) and 2cm (for 5 hours with DD2) then once I had the epi I went to 10 with both within the hour... Do you think I didn't dilate because I wasn't relaxing enough and letting my body do what it's suppose to??? What is a good technique that would maybe help me dilate this time around? I tried the birthing ball but it just didn't seem to do anything for me. The worst part of my recovery after both births was probably the bruised back. I'll take any advice you have for me! TIA!

May 27th, 2009, 08:45 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
It could be. Have you ever read Ina May's book? In it she talks alot about that issue (fear, not relaxing, etc) and how visualization and positive thinking can help. When I was not progressing much on Sunday/Monday during my labor, with every contraction, I start to really visualize the cervix opening and i would during each contraction go "Ooooooohhhhhhhhh" as in open. I did progress all the way up to 6 after being stalled at fingertip for a long while after my water broke.

May 27th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Thank Meredith! I haven't read it but have heard great things about it! I think I must focus on the pain rather than what my body should be doing and tense up really bad during contractions then when I relaxed once the epi was done, I felt like I had to push not long after... both times the nurses didn't "believe" me and they had the Dr taking the stairs and delivering in regular clothes! So the only thing I can think of is I was too tense and wasn't focusing???

May 27th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
fear/nerves can definitely have an effect on labor. If you think about it, we are mammals, we basically labor the same way. A cat, for example, WILL NOT give birth if she is not comfortable with her surroundings. She will wander around in labor until she finds the "right" spot to give birth. It could be the environment just as much as fear or pain.

One thing that helps is to relax your facial muscles and your shoulders. Focusing on relaxing those two places will force the rest of your body to relax too. They are the most common places to "store" tension.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

May 27th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the info! They have the option of a jacuzzi tub to try... do you think that would be something that could help me?

May 27th, 2009, 09:19 AM
Platinum Supermommy
You could try Hypnobabies this time. I haven't used it myself, but many women have with success. For me, it was being comfortable (staying home as long as possible, although I was very comfortable at my birth center) and reminding myself to just work with my body and let the contractions do what they needed. Instead of thinking of it as pain, I focused during each contraction, imagining what it was doing to help my labor.

May 27th, 2009, 10:39 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Aww, thank you! I am about shocked that it actually happened!

I cannot believe you're about ready to give birth! Just a few weeks or less to go!

The tub could certainly help, as could positive visualization and more active relaxation. If you can master those two techniques you will be able to cope much better, and work with your labor, not against it. You labor is not the enemy- it is something to embrace, not something to just get through. If you can take that philosophy onto yourself and experience your birth from that perspecitive I bet you'll have no problem laboring sans epidural.

My other idea (which is in conjunction, not as opposed to) is that maybe little progression followed by FAST progression is just how your body works. But improving your coping skills should certainly help. Asking for minimal exams or declining vaginal exams could help elliminate that feeling of being "stuck", when really your body works great! A good technique if you don't want to outright decline is to ask to have the exam after you use the bathroom (additionally a VE is easier to do with an empty bladder). Often it'll delay the exam 30+ minutes

Good luck, and I'm glad to see you here on the NCB boards!!!!!

May 27th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
the tub should help for sure! Its a good relaxing technique. I'm best able to stay relaxed in the tub if you focus on lowering your shoulders and letting your hands float (just a suggestion )

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

May 27th, 2009, 06:45 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
fear and tension can really work against you in labor. Ina May's book is amazing, I woulf run and get it if I were you. She explains that the cervix is a sphincter so tension can keep it closed, even reverse any progress. Lots of women actually backtrack once they change environments like going from home to the hospital.

Visualization is a great tool. If you can imagine a flower blooming, imagine your cervix opening while you are in labor. relaxing the face and jaw is great advice too, unfortunately I forgot that when the time came.

get your butt in that tub once you hit about 5cm, the warm water is such a relief on contractions. It can cut the pain by half or more. Good luck! I love your siggy picture so much.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search