Update from Consult Today

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 27th, 2009, 02:07 PM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I liked the doctor very much, we both did. She specializes in unexplained fertility. We did an ultrasound and here's what she found so far:

She found a fibroid tumor but it's not very big (2cm I believe she said) and far enough away that she doesn't think it's causing an issue.

She saw an abnormality on my uterus, a dark spot right in the middle. She can't tell if it's on the inside or outside. If on outside it could possibly be another small fibroid. On the inside it could be scar tissue from terminated pregnancy 10 years ago or who knows. It could also just be something from this particular cycle. She wants to do a saline sonogram to figure it out.

The most worrisome to me is that she could only see 7 total ovary follicles. She would expect 12-15. I may need to stimulate my ovaries with medication like Clomid. Problem is she said Clomid alone only raises your chances 1%. Clomid with insemmination raises your chances to 8-9% each month.

I'm am going to have the FSH test done on day 3 of next cycle, which will be around June 8. I will have the HSG and saline sonogram around June 15-17. I go back for a consultation to get the results on June 30th. Then we'll figure out our next steps.

Stefan came away from the appointment feeling good. He feels that seeing some possible issues is a good thing because we can then try to fix it. I'm not quite sure what I'm thinking yet. I'm not worried about the fibroid and not even worried about the abnormality on my uterus. But the follicle count bothers me. I need to do more research.

In any event, we're on the path and we'll see what it has in store for us.
May 27th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
I'm so glad to hear that things are finally moving along with these appointments. I don't know how I feel about what the doctor found either, but I definitely want to know what you find in your research. Please keep us updated on everything. It's good that you both really like the doctor. I'm keeping everything crossed that you get pregnant or some answers soon. HUGS!

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

May 27th, 2009, 03:08 PM
sillyp's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I can understand your concerns and I think they're pretty legit after trying to get pregnant for so long! I'm glad you and Stefan like the doctor - that makes a big difference. I hope that all of this gives you some answers and sends you on your way TTC. Keep your thoughts positive!

Thanks, Jaidynsmum, for the beautiful siggy!

May 27th, 2009, 03:12 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Sounds like you have a good plan. I would not be too concerned with the Antral Follicle count, yours does not seem unusual at all. Clomid and IUI will raise your chances, mostly because you will release more than one egg per ovulation. However, clomid has a ton of side effects that injectable fertility meds do not, and I would (if it were me) chose them over the clomid, but most docs like to start with clomid. It can cause ovarian cysts and also can thin your lining and make your CM inhospitable to sperm. But it is cheap, easy and a pill.
If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or what not.

May 27th, 2009, 03:27 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Shauna- it sounds like it went super well! I'm so glad you have such a great plan I agree with S, it is good to know what needs improvement. Unexplained IF is tough b/c there really isn't much you can do. At least you already are learning things that sound like they can certainly help! I hope the HSG shows healthy clear tubes, and that the SIS is also good.

Meredith- From all I've read the worst side effect of injectible meds is the large likelyhood of over stimulation. For the clomid side effects, I thought most people who have no history of cysts or who don't have PCOS won't usually have an issue, and usually it is reccomended to use a preseed like product with clomid. oh, and they usually monitor with U/S to see how your lining is, but with lower doses it has less chances of an effect. But hmmm, they all have their pros and cons~ don't they!

May 27th, 2009, 03:43 PM
From what I've read so far Injectables have worse side effects but work better. FSH stimilulation may be what I need and although Clomid can do that, it doesn't increase your chances all that much. Mere, you're right about Clomid reducing the hospitable environment. It dries you out so sperm have a harder time getting to where they need to go. That's why she mentioned Clomid with insemmination.

There is definitely a lot to process, more once I get the results from these tests. But we need to seriously start having conversations about how far we will and can go. Unfortunately much may depend on the cost since my insurance doesn't cover fertility. A girlfriend today asked me how far we would go and I honestly can't see going through IVF or surrogacy. But I'm getting ahead of myself anyway. I was hopeful that perhaps the HSG would shake things up but with my low follicle count that may not be enough. So the question of Clomid vs. injectables is something I'll need to research and discuss with the doc.
May 27th, 2009, 04:31 PM
We had many of those discussions about how far we could would go, and they were hard! Lots of tears and stress, but it was healing also to know. We decided we were on the fence about IUI, but probably wouldn't do it (for religious reasons), and that IVF or surrogacy was out for us. It was hard to know we wouldn't do *anything*, but also a stress reliever.

May 27th, 2009, 05:10 PM
niknok's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to niknok
I'm so glad you are on the path to answers and solutions. I am going to be BEYOND excited to see your BFP one day soon. I hope all the things that concerned you turn out to be nothing.

Come visit my blog!
May 27th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Thanks Nikki! Thanks to all of you who have continued to shower me with so much love and encouragement. I truly appreciate it from the bottom of my heart!

You wouldn't believe the text I got from Cheryl today. Girl, I love you too much!
May 27th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
well I am glad you ar on the way to getting some answers that you deserve. I hope everything works out!

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

May 27th, 2009, 06:20 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
no, I love YOU too much. I don't understand a whole lot about fertility so this is all greek to me. I am SO rooting for you though.
May 27th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm with Cheryl, I know so little about infertility, but I'm really rooting for you! I'm glad you're on your way to getting some answers!

Expecting baby #4!

May 27th, 2009, 10:21 PM
liveandlove0725's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm glad you had a productive appt!! I don't know much about Clomid, etc but your plan sounds like a great one.
May 28th, 2009, 05:58 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Oh, the other thing about clomid is it causes a lot of side effects not related to fertility-- light flashes, migraines, visual disturbances, etc.
It could not hurt to try the clomid a couple cycles (since they are dirt cheap) and go from there.

May 28th, 2009, 06:15 AM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
As far as the insurance goes, is it possible to bill some of the procedures as normal gynecological ones? In other words, could these potential issues be ones that would be normally treated not just for fertility? It may only work for the fibroid, but might be worth asking your doctor about should you have any procedures or expensive meds.

I wish I knew good words of encouragement. I've been fortunate to get pregnant easily, but I've known others who were not as lucky. I'm glad you found a doctor that you like and have a tentative plan. I wish you the best!

May 28th, 2009, 06:39 AM
^That is a good point.... my SIS was billed as "menstural irregularities", as were a lot of my hormone tests

May 28th, 2009, 09:50 AM
The SIS will should be covered since it's being done for an abnormality she saw. The HSG is not covered but since she discovered a fibroid I'm going to ask if it's possible to bill the HSG as needed to check for other fibroids. Don't know if that's possible.
May 28th, 2009, 10:07 AM
~ Christine ~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm glad you liked the Dr and the appt was productive. One thing I've found with drs and insurance is it never hurts to ask they for the result you want. Dean's formula is covered 100% because of a "milk sensitivity".

Forever missing our angel 8.31.07

May 28th, 2009, 12:58 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I hope that the discoveries elp to find an answer.

Maybe you will be one of those lucky women that get the HSG and then get pregnant right after. I know two women that this happened for. One tried for 2 years, was on the meds, etc. they finally did the HSG and she got pregnant the next cycle, with no meds, etc. I pray it goes that way for you too!

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
May 28th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I have everything crossed for you Shauna! Im glad that you and Stefan are doing all of this though. He seems so supportive.

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search