This is the worst book to read...

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 27th, 2009, 04:37 PM
^RaineDrop^'s Avatar Summer Raine is 1 YR OLD!
Send a message via AIM to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via MSN to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via Yahoo to ^RaineDrop^
I'll grab the title in a little bit I can't think of it off the top of my head but I read through a big chunk of it and sat there in disgust. There's a line in there that actually says in big letters, "DO NOT PUSH UNLESS GIVEN PERMISSION." *sigh*
The nurse I saw gave it to me and raved about it saying that she and every other mom in the clinic has read it and loved it and it's really making me think about what kind of clinic I'm going to.. I don't think this is going to be a happy ride. I'm going to keep a positive outlook on it and just wait for something to happen before I do anything but I really won't be surprised..

I also made a point to ask her before I left if she reccommended the What to Expect book as a good one, and she said yes. lol I just laughed on the inside about it because I know just about everyone here hates it.. (I personally liked the book but I skipped around and just read what I needed to so maybe that's why.)

But yeah, this 'mother, author and doctor' who wrote the book gives you detailed labor and birth steps including episiotomy and the horrific ten count. It's no wonder that women pass out during labor when they're yelled at to be doing that. She also says unless you've been given direct instructions to push you need to do the "he he - hoooooo" breathing to keep yourself from pushing even if you feel the urge. She doesn't present c-sections in a way so that it sounds like it's not supposed to be something that happens everyday either, kwim? I don't mind that one so much because she definitely doesn't promote it but she is just.. something else

It's the shortest little book but it's so filled with crap it's sad. I feel sorry for anyone who reads it, my poor stomach was in knots and I know better! "Fear factor" is right, if I had been a first time mom none the wiser I would be shaking in my boots.. if I wore them.. and I would have memorized this crap until I could recite it in my sleep. Stuff like this just shouldn't be published. It's really a shame.

MY HOME WATER BIRTH WAS AMAZING

www.momentsbyheather.com

Last edited by ^RaineDrop^; May 27th, 2009 at 04:42 PM.
May 27th, 2009, 05:01 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
*Lovely*

I hate books like that! If someone told me not to push when I had that urge they'd have another thing coming!

May 27th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
the only time I could see that being true, is I had the urge at around 4 cm lol. NOt a bear down and go push, but a nice steady **gotta poo* push lol

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

May 27th, 2009, 05:52 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaMama View Post
*Lovely*
If someone told me not to push when I had that urge they'd have another thing coming!
Like a baby?

I hate that. I love that my mom gave me such a healthy view of birth. I didn't feel the need to read scary books because of that. I had witnessed a healthy natural birth, I knew what to expect. I hope I do the same favor for my daughter.

May 27th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
Don't push unless given permission... lol... that reminds me, I watched an episode of birth day or something on TV the other day and the mom was 10 cm and ready to go - DRUG FREE... in soo much pain and the dr wasn't there and the nurses were telling her "don't push!" No way, I'd be like get your gloves, you're delivering this baby!!! She ended up breathing for another HOUR before he showed - O-M-G!!!!!

Facebook
May 27th, 2009, 07:36 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
there is so much crappy info out there. Parenting books especially. Just be happy you see through it!
May 27th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I just can't imagine, how could you NOT push? My body took over, I had absolutely no choice. I have never understand how women can be forced not to. I would laugh if I was told not to push, of course I feel confident delivering my baby by myself, so I could care less if the doctor wasn't there. My mom told me how they did that to her, I feel so bad for women who have to go through that.

Expecting baby #4!

May 27th, 2009, 09:04 PM
noworries
Are you looking into a different midwife/clinic?
May 27th, 2009, 10:19 PM
^RaineDrop^'s Avatar Summer Raine is 1 YR OLD!
Send a message via AIM to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via MSN to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via Yahoo to ^RaineDrop^
chispaza I would love to especially since I'm in one city and this place is in another but honestly with the particular medicaid I have the list of midwives who takes it gets further and further from here. This is the closest I can get if I want my midwife I can get an OB and a hospital walking distance from me but the facility doesn't look as good and I've heard awful things about it from a friend. I might end up taking a tour though and refusing the doctor that my friend had if possible...

BTW The book is called "Preparing for a Healthy Baby" by Kendis Moore Drake. You know what is most appaling about books and info like this? A WOMAN USUALLY WROTE IT!

MY HOME WATER BIRTH WAS AMAZING

www.momentsbyheather.com
May 28th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Blech! Throw that thing in the trash!!

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
May 29th, 2009, 09:33 AM
LindensMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
hahahahah

the nurse told me not to push and she got an earful!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search