Last Minute Decision...

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 28th, 2009, 08:15 AM
hdannels's Avatar Super Mommy
Hello everyone! My name is Hillary, married to Danny, expecting our first child on June 11th. I decided kind of at the last minute that I want to try for an unmedicated birth. My DDC recommended coming here for advice. I have no idea how my body is going to respond to labor, but I like to think I am a very strong woman, and I would really like to try to give birth naturally. I am open to the use of pain killers, if I decide I need them, but I'm pretty sure I can go without.

A little background on what my body is doing so far: I'm 38 weeks today. At my last D/A on Tuesday, I was 1cm dialated, baby is head down, and "hanging out down low" (that's what my doctor said, she didn't give me a number on effacement. I will ask at my next appointment). After that internal check on Tuesday, I had some contractions, but nothing timeable or painful, and I started loosing my mucous plug that night. Wednsday, fewer contractions than Tuesday, still nothing painful or timeable, still loosing my mucous plug in small peices. Lots of on and off back pain, but didn't seem to go with the contractions. Last night, had a sharp pain at the bottom of my stomach that lasted for about 3 seconds, went away, didn't feel it again. Today, at about 5am, I woke up with my back just killing me. The pain wouldn't go away no matter what position I changed in to. I sat up, that didn't help. I got up and walked around for a few minutes, still didn't help. Decided to use the restroom. As soon as I got done peeing, pain went away. Currently, I'm a little crampy. My lower stomach hurts a little bit, my back is a little sore, and I am still loosing my mucous plug. No contractions yet today, I have been awake for about two hours now.

So, what advice do you ladies have for a first timer? I can't really afford to take any birthing classes right now, so I am doing everything I can to learn as much as possible before my baby decides to make it's grand entrance. Thanks in advanced for any help you laides can provide

Special thanks to dettmer26 for my adorable siggy, and to jennifer13 for my perfect custom blinky!!

x6
May 28th, 2009, 08:30 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Buy Ina May's book today and read it all

ps. Hi Hillary

May 28th, 2009, 08:31 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
well, in my experience those who are open to getting pain meds generally do. Being very determined to have a NCB is the number 2 factor in success, and number 1 is being prepared. Pain tolerancy doesn't have as much to do with it as people think.

Good tips are to stay home as long as possible, at least untill your contractions are getting longer, stronger and closer together. The usual reccomended time is to go in whrn they are too strong to talk through and you have to focus on every one, they are 3 min apart and 1 minute long, for at least one hour.

Laboring in the shower can help with coping, as can massage, counterpressure on your back, relaxing your body, and having a rythmic ritual, like moaning and nodding.

Watch some good natural birth videos on youtube for seeing ideas of what can help you, and if you can, find a student/training doula. they often offer free or reduced rate services in exchange for reviews and filling out their paperwork for certification. They won't have the experience of a long time doula, but they have a lot of knowledge and hopefully that inate ability to help support you. You can call dona or a local doula- they may be able to help find one. Having good labor support is crutial to success rates.

Google natural childbirth, and just keep on reading.

oh, and practice relaxation all that you can. It especially helps to practice relaxing shoulders, hands and neck- or the places you usually tense up.

May 28th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Oh! And the book, the Birth Partner is good for you and who ever will be your support person during labor. This will be like cramming for a test

May 28th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Del4's Avatar Super Mommy
Natural Childbirth : Birthing Naturally was a godsend for me with my last baby! I didn't read any books and didn't take any classes. I researched on the net as much as I could and was absolutely determined not to have drugs. I would also recommend having your partner do the same learning that you do, so he/she will not be totally caught of guard with everything.

The best thing you can do is know what your body is going to do and be ready for it. When changes occur, you'll be aware and they won't freak you out.

I, personally, would also recommend a doula (unless your birth partner is REALLY going to apply himself) because during the end, you will probably need someone to keep you focused. I didn't have that (my husband was no help lol, he didn't know what to do and hated seeing me in pain) and I lost control towards the end. I didn't give in to drugs, but I gave into screaming and cussing.

Good luck!! I would recommend a natural birthing experience over a drug induced one many, many times over.

May 28th, 2009, 09:44 AM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I believe mental preperation is the key and since you don't have much time to do that, I suggest reading as much as possible successful NCB stories. And as Cheryl said, if you keep the option open to take drugs you probably will. Most moms hit a wall, usually during transition, when they feel they can't make it. If you have it in your mind that drugs are available you will most likely go for them. So take that equation out of your mind and instruct your partner, your nurses and doctor that you want them to encourage you through and not suggest or offer drugs.

And request a very pro-natural nurse when you get to the hospital. You don't want to be fighting for your right to NCB.

Does your OB know about your new wishes? Are they supportive?

And yes, a doula is a MUST if you can swing it this late in the game.
May 28th, 2009, 09:56 AM
~ Christine ~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I completely agree that mental preparation is the most important thing you can do, and I think you have plenty of time to do it if you really want it. The most important thing for me was finding my motivation - that was not having an epidural. I had one with DS#1 and pregnancy #2 and it just brought up too much emotions having one again. I was bound and determined not to have an epi and that's what drove me. I didn't really care about IV pain meds, but wanted to avoid them too.

Some women may suggest having a key word with your DH that you say when you are considering pain meds - I would take it one step further. I told DH that if I mentioned anything about pain meds to him, he was to wait until my contraction was over and then ask me in between contractions if I really did want them. I never said I wanted them, but I could see how I could have in the midst of a bad contraction. Having your DH support you is a critical thing. I was very worried about that b/c my DH doesn't have a ton of sympathy, but he was great and when all was said and done, he was so proud of me... he was bragging to all the other drs back at work.

Read everything you can get your hands on to prepare for this. Try doing some meditation and/or yoga. The most important thing, IMO, for handling pain during contractions is BREATHING!!!! It hurts so much worse if you forget to breathe. Don't be afraid of labor, but embrace it and get excited about it!

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Forever missing our angel 8.31.07

May 28th, 2009, 11:03 AM
noworries
You've gotten great advice from all these ladies so far. I agree with it all. Also, find a relaxation method that works for you and practice, practice, practice. If you are able to relax your entire body, it allows your body to work how it is supposed to work and helps reduce any pain from the contractions. I would simply count from 10 down to 1 and each number corresponded to a muscle or group of muscles that I was to relax when I heard that number. I started at the top of my head. So, number 10 meant to relax my face and jaw muscles, number 9 my neck and shoulders, and so on.
May 28th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I agree also. If I wasnt so darn stubborn about having to have a NCB I would have gotten the drugs. When you are in that frame of mind you cannot reason with yourself. I was all or nothing. So I said nothing. LOL. You can do it! I did it so I know you can!

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
May 28th, 2009, 07:43 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
Try to do as much reading as you can and definately make sure your DH knows what to expect and how you would like him to support you. INS Mays guide to Childbirh is amazing and full of positive birth stories and information. Also the Bradley Method book is great and has a super chapter for husbands/birth partners.

If you can find a student doula DO IT!!
May 29th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Thank you so much for all the advice, ladies. I really want to try for this, and I am sure with my husband's help, I can do it. I am going to make a trip to the library this weekend and see if I can find the recommended books there. I have done a lot of reading online, and have carefully read everyone's posts here, and I am positive that I can do it. The mind is a very powerful tool, and I can usually make mine do what I want it to I'll let you ladies know how it goes! And if anyone has any other tips or advice, it will be greatly welcomed!

Special thanks to dettmer26 for my adorable siggy, and to jennifer13 for my perfect custom blinky!!

x6
May 29th, 2009, 08:25 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I would suggest calling the library today, they may be able to get something transferred if they don't have it right there for you.
May 29th, 2009, 09:19 AM
LindensMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I read the birth partner... NCB just comes natural to me - I think that's how birth should be so I was determined. I never had pre natal classes or sort of classes.

May 31st, 2009, 10:32 AM
Well, ladies, thank you all for your advice. I was able to get my hands on a copy of Ina May's book, and I haven't been able to put it down. It has been wonderful to read. I am more determined now to do this natural than i was when I first posted this thread. I am a little worried about how my doc is going to react, as I haven't really had a chance to talk to her about it yet, but the nurse that will be in my delivery knows about my wishes and is fully supportive of my choices. I have my next appointment with my doctor on tuesday, so I will talk to her about going unmedicated then. The nurse that will be in my delivery room is actually a friend of mine, and knows a lot of tricks for natural birth.

x6
May 31st, 2009, 10:46 AM
I am so glad you got the book!! It is truly incredible to read. It all makes so much sense to me. No matter what your doctor says when you tell him, you are in control and you are your own boss and having a support system with you will be invaluable.

May 31st, 2009, 04:48 PM
rachna's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am glad you got the book, I havent read it but now I want to. I honestly didnt really do any prep, I was mentally prepared, and knew the meds scared me more then going natural. That was just me though. I do think just preparing yourself, and doing some visualization is helpful. Visualizing yourself in a relaxing place, and imagining as you labor the baby coming down and coming out. Good luck!
May 31st, 2009, 07:50 PM
kahlia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i just wanted to say good luck! i hope you get the birth that you want

my first baby was a natural childbirth in the hospital, i think you should sit down and write a very detailed birth plan and make sure you go through it with your partner and make sure they understand what you want! i think one point should be to make sure you ask people to NOT offer you drugs. if you are open to them and they are being offered then i think you'll be more likely to accept compared to having to actually ask for them yourself. i think its harder to turn them down if you are in pain and they are being shoved in your face.

i didn't research ncb at all, i didn't have a doula, i just wanted to go natural and i did, so i'm sure you can do it to. if you can prepare yourself then thats awesome, but it's still possible even without alot of research. good luck xoxo
May 31st, 2009, 08:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
goo dluck!! You can do it if you want to!!!! I have no good advise as this is my first NCB, but I know what motivated me even more then before. When DH snickered and said something about "I hope you dont end up at the hospital with an epidural" he was just making a joke, but my brain said "watch me do this!!!!"

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

June 1st, 2009, 05:34 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The nurse is even more important the the doctor, since they are your primary labor support. It is fantastic you have a good one!!!

June 2nd, 2009, 07:33 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
Good luck with everything! I think it's great that you got that book. It is eye opening, isn't it? I'm so glad that your nurse friend will be there with you, that will be such a HUGE help.

My Ovulation Chart

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search