Bummed

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 28th, 2009, 11:59 AM
noworries
I just found out that the first birth I attended as a doula doesn't count toward my certification because she was at 7.5 centimeters when she went into labor. DONA states that for a certification birth you have to be with the mother in labor from 4cm on. Well, she was at 4cm for about 3 weeks and was at 5cm two days before she ever went into labor. She called me after her 2nd contraction and I went to meet her right away. I was with her for 3.5 hours of labor and and hour or so after the birth. But, it doesn't count toward my certification. It was still a great experience for me because it was a VBAC, they used the vacuum, she got an epidural which I had never seen done before, etc. So, I got to see a lot just with that one birth.
I am bummed because I would really like to get all my certification births done before I am hugely pregnant and would really like to have them done before I have this baby so I don't have to worry about it anymore. Ugh, I'm just frustrated.
May 28th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
Oh that really stinks! Do you have any other births lined up?

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

May 28th, 2009, 12:15 PM
noworries
Not yet. I have one possibility that is a seventeen year old who is pregnant. A lady from my church is working with her so I am going to see if she would like a doula. Guess I really need to start getting my name out there as much as possible.
May 28th, 2009, 12:19 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
wow Carrie that does suck. I'm sorry.
May 28th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Del4's Avatar Super Mommy
Awe that sucks!! I hope you get more clients soon, so you'll be able to get it finished before you're really feeling the pregnancy.

How exciting, btw!! I go back and forth about what I want to do. I have always been interested in pathology -- forensics, to be more specific. I am hugely passionate about it, but I also find myself drawn towards midwifery.

GL on becoming a doula!! I think that's awesome!

May 28th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
grrr, that sucks!

Hey, you could drive up here and be my doula though it might cut it close to YOUR due date

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

May 28th, 2009, 01:41 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sometimes you can use those births.... just write in your essay about what happen, how far dilated she was when you got there as well as before birth, how long you were there before she got checked. I think it is more important that you're there before active labor then the dilation measurement.

May 28th, 2009, 02:14 PM
noworries
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaMama View Post
Sometimes you can use those births.... just write in your essay about what happen, how far dilated she was when you got there as well as before birth, how long you were there before she got checked. I think it is more important that you're there before active labor then the dilation measurement.
I called DONA and explained the situation and they pretty much told that the 4cm is not negotiable. They said it sometimes takes 10 births to get 3 that will work for certification.
I am starting to feel ok about it though. I was just so frustrated at first (I'm sure the preggo hormones don't help) that I needed to vent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelllilee View Post
grrr, that sucks!

Hey, you could drive up here and be my doula though it might cut it close to YOUR due date
Thanks, not sure I could get there before you were 4cm though.
May 29th, 2009, 05:31 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Darn!!!!

May 29th, 2009, 06:09 AM
Platinum Supermommy
You can come to my birth Carrie. Although you will probably have to bring your baby. LOL. Oh and Im in labor all day so you would have forever to get her.

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
May 29th, 2009, 06:11 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
Quote:
Originally Posted by chispaza View Post
Thanks, not sure I could get there before you were 4cm though.
yeah, that could be a problem... I'm one of those who get to 3-4 cm before labor even STARTS.

It's only a 4.5 hour drive.... hee hee

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

May 29th, 2009, 08:04 AM
noworries
I got 4 potential clients yesterday after I was so frustrated about this. So, hopefully I have nothing to worry about after all.
May 29th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
Yay! I hope they work out for you!

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

May 29th, 2009, 09:26 AM
LindensMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
yayy hope they work otu for you!!

May 29th, 2009, 10:21 AM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That sucks but it looks like more are coming you way. That's awesome! I'm so jealous.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search