Help!

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 28th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Who has had a long/longer natural birth? I'm looking for some insight on what to say to encourage someone. Both of my labors were quick (8 and 6 hours) so I am at a loss with what I can say. When I left, they had just checked her and she was still 2.5-3cm, the same as when she was admitted this morning I know that must be extremely discouraging. I know she has her heart set on a natural birth and I want to help her achieve that, but I don't know how to encourage her at this point.

I'm going stir crazy right now, we had to leave because the girls need to get to bed. I just want to be there! Not just to see the baby be born, but to be there for her. I'm considering once Abby goes to bed, heading back up with Anna and if I have to sit in the waiting room with her, then so be it. I just want to be there, and I feel so helpless that I can't even do that. I only have 2 bottles of breastmilk pumped, one earlier this week and another while at the hospital since I missed a feeding. She eats every 2 hours, so I can't leave her for long, especially in the middle of the night.

I guess I just need to vent a bit, and I'm hoping you ladies have some encouraging words I can share!

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

May 28th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
Courtney's was 15 hours, which isn't horribly long, but not short either. The main thing was just being exhausted from no sleep. just remind her she's doing great, her body is doing it's job and that some babies just take longer, and there's nothing wrong with that. Hopefully she's been able to be up and moving around to try and get things to progress.

A lot of times I hear women getting stuck early on for a LOOOONG time and then just jumping to fully dilated in a matter of minutes. Hope things get moving for her!

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

May 28th, 2009, 06:25 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Has her water broken yet? if not and the heart beat is fine, then there should not be a concern. I labored for 26 hours before having to get the section (for the baby turning breech, not slow progress). I just tried hard to stay positive, but it was really hard when every time they checked me, i was barely making progress. After 17 hours of labor i was only at a 3!!!!! My labor began with my water breaking too. AND I took two containers of castor oil.

It just really helped me for people to tell me how well I was doing and to just try to relax and focus on staying positive and doing a lot of visual imagery of the cervix opening.

May 28th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think baby is posterior, the back labor seems intense and her contractions are intesifying from what my mom says, but not getting closer together. To me it sounds like a classic posterior positioning, baby isn't in a favorable position to put pressure on the cervix and it would also explain her intense back pain. My mom just sent me a text, and she's stuck at a 3 still I have no idea what to say at this point. Her midwife still isn't back, and they already told her she could only go 24 hours after her water had broken, especially with the meconium (she said it broke around 5-6am our time). They also are denying her the tub, they said because of the meconium in the water, which doesn't make sense to me. If she gets the epi, they have to hook her up to everything before even calling the anesthisiologist (sp?) which means she's stuck on her back, in the WORST position possible just to get it, and that's before he's even called to the hospital. I'm so angry right now, I just wanted things to go smoothly for her and it seems like thier "policies" are making this so difficult!

I'm just hoping that things speed up really quickly, and she's ready to push before they can get the epi in. I'd hate to see her end up in the same position as I was in, get an epi and have to push before it takes effect.

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

Last edited by andi2284; May 28th, 2009 at 07:53 PM.
May 28th, 2009, 08:36 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
See if they will do the Saline injections to help with the back pain. That could help a lot. It's temporary, but very relieving.
May 28th, 2009, 08:47 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
Take her an exercise ball. Hip circles can help turn a posterior baby. I hope she can make it and the hospital backs off!

May 29th, 2009, 06:25 AM
sillyp's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My labor with Brennen was pretty darn slow in comparison to my first 2.
I went into labor Sunday around 10 pm and he wasn't born until Monday at 6:12pm. I had plateaued at 7 cm for about 4 hours before breaking down crying and my midwife eventually had to break my water for me - then things went really fast.

I think the thing that kept me going was my midwife telling me that my body was progressing even though it didn't seem like it to me and that I was going to have the baby before she and the nurse got off at 7. DH wasn't helping much at that point bc he was having a hard time seeing me deal with the pain for so long. My best friend was there and she just kept encouraging me and telling me how well I was doing and that I was going to make it soon. I don't think there is anything anyone can say to make a woman who has been in labor for over 24 hours feel better, but any encouragement is great!

ETA: I sat on the exercise ball for a while and I do believe it helped.

Thanks, Jaidynsmum, for the beautiful siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search