Midwives in hospitals

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 30th, 2009, 08:10 PM
^RaineDrop^'s Avatar Summer Raine is 1 YR OLD!
Send a message via AIM to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via MSN to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via Yahoo to ^RaineDrop^
Around here we have a hospital or two that has nurse-midwives, they can't even do the actual delivery and I keep hearing that when their official SHIFT is over they bail... Do you guys see this often or could it just be the luck we have in my area? I really do not want to invest my time in a woman who bails on me at my most important time of need =\

MY HOME WATER BIRTH WAS AMAZING

www.momentsbyheather.com
May 30th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Platinum Supermommy
The hospital I delivered at has CNMs (Certified-nurse-midwives, i think). Anyway, I had a regular OB/Gyn, but she wasn't on-call when I delivered. So a CNM delivered Lily and then another CNM was on-call after that and took care of me post-partum for the night I was there. They were both really great and never made me feel rushed or anything. Although with my labor the CNM had come in to check on me for the first time and I was at 10cm at that point so she stayed to deliver.

May 30th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Sunny in CO's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have a CNM and will be delivering at a hospital this time. She said she will be there with me during labor and delivery. No OB required.

May 30th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I had a CNM at the hospital with Courtney's birth. She was with me from about 5am when she got to my house until Courtney was born at 1pm. She never left my side once.

BUT she also wasn't a hospital midwife. She had her own practice with hospital privileges so she didn't really have a "shift".

I, personally would avoid a hospital based care provider because they do tend to stick with the schedule and leave when their shift is over from what I've heard.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

May 31st, 2009, 04:55 AM
tygrss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The CNMs at my hospital work shifts, so they leave once said shift is over. The DO deliver the babies though (OBs only step in for emergency C-sections). That said, because they are employeed by the hospital they have to follow the protocols of the hospital. They act more like med-wives than midwives. I had DS at a freestanding birthcenter and one of my midwives used to work at the hospital where I work and one of the reasons that she left was because of this (acting like med-wives, working shifts, etc).

May 31st, 2009, 10:53 AM
Send a message via AIM to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via MSN to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via Yahoo to ^RaineDrop^
Ahh, no good.. are they not compelled to at least stay after their shift for support at least? I will most definitely be grilling my MW with questions when I see her on Tuesday..

Kelllilee you're in WA can you give me input on a laymidwife, that is in my area, and accepts Medicaid?

www.momentsbyheather.com
May 31st, 2009, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ^RaineDrop^ View Post
Ahh, no good.. are they not compelled to at least stay after their shift for support at least? I will most definitely be grilling my MW with questions when I see her on Tuesday..

Kelllilee you're in WA can you give me input on a laymidwife, that is in my area, and accepts Medicaid?

I don't know much about that side of the state unfortunately. There is a birth center I think in Kirkland (?) that gets really good reviews. I can ask around though and see if anyone knows

Where do you want to do the birth? (birth center, home, hospital...)

May 31st, 2009, 02:26 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Medicaid seems to be tough when dealing with out of hospital births. We had it when DH was between jobs, so I asked about it at the birth center (free-standing) and they said they have very poor luck getting Medicaid to pay for anything. Luckily, our insurance with DH's current job is much more generous, they paid for over 1/2 if the cost

Expecting baby #4!

May 31st, 2009, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by andi2284 View Post
Medicaid seems to be tough when dealing with out of hospital births. We had it when DH was between jobs, so I asked about it at the birth center (free-standing) and they said they have very poor luck getting Medicaid to pay for anything. Luckily, our insurance with DH's current job is much more generous, they paid for over 1/2 if the cost

in Washington, medicaid will cover 100% of a homebirth if you have a state licensed provider (DEM, CPM, CNM, etc...) no questions asked.

Unfortunately the provider I chose is not state licensed (she's a certified professional midwife, just hasn't done her state cert. yet) so I'm paying out of pocket.

May 31st, 2009, 02:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
I don't know anything about midwives in hospitals but I know my birthing center (free standing) takes medicaid. Again I am in a different state as well though

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

May 31st, 2009, 04:51 PM
rachna's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The midwife and the dr were in the room for mine, the midwife I think is the one who actually delivered Zachary. He was posterior, and she was helping me get him to turn, so she was in there with me quite a bit, and after as well.
June 1st, 2009, 06:33 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Yeah your going to have to ask Heather. The midwife that delivered Brynn was only there for the delivery. Basically like an OB at a hospital. They wait until the baby is falling out until they call the OB and then he steps in for 5 seconds and makes the big bucks.

Looks like yours are more like nurses that have shifts. And if an actual OB delivers then at the end of the day everything is still his/her decision...

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
June 1st, 2009, 07:34 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I used CNMs that had a practice located in a hospital. The midwife on call only showed up for the pushing, and in fact they tried to keep me from pushing until she got there. Luckily I didn't have to wait too long. She was the one I knew the least but she was really nice. I pushed for 3 hours with horrible back labor and she never once tried to rush things or intervene.

I hope you can find what you really want in a care provider. I applaud you for being proactive.
June 1st, 2009, 08:55 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
A great resource for finding good providers is the ICAN yahoo group. You don't have to be a c-section momma to join, their goal is not only to support women who have experienced a c-section, but also to help prevent the first surgery. Check it out and post the question, you will get answers.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
June 1st, 2009, 09:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelllilee View Post
in Washington, medicaid will cover 100% of a homebirth if you have a state licensed provider (DEM, CPM, CNM, etc...) no questions asked.

Unfortunately the provider I chose is not state licensed (she's a certified professional midwife, just hasn't done her state cert. yet) so I'm paying out of pocket.
Really?? Wow never knew that. I did a search for midwives and all I could really find was what I decided upon, the hospital I'm going to now.

I WANT to deliver at a birthing center in a hospital but I want a MIDWIFE MIDWIFE not a nurse and an OB I'll see once in my life. Grr..

www.momentsbyheather.com
June 1st, 2009, 02:02 PM
Here's the birth center Birth Center I"ve heard REALLY good things about it.

I'll ask around my local AP group and see if anyone knows other midwives up there. I know a lot of the girls have lived in that area previously.

June 1st, 2009, 02:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
There are several OB practices in my area that have CNMs. They handle the low risk pregnancies and have a rotating call schedule like the physicians do. They are able to attend and actually deliver, but are not strictly based out of the hospital. Several friends of mine have used them and been very happy. That may be something to look into as well.

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
June 2nd, 2009, 05:44 PM
Devan'sMama's Avatar ♥Devan's Mama♥
I have three CNMs. Whoever is on call the day/night that I go into labor will be the one who delivers my baby. I'm also going to be giving birth in a hospital but the CNMs aren't actual doctors of the hospital - they're just allowed to deliver births there. If that makes any sense.
June 2nd, 2009, 05:54 PM
talked to someone who used to live there. She says basically you options are homebirth with a midwife, free standing birth center or go with hospital based midwife care. Because of politics and what-not there aren't any midwives who aren't affiliated with hospitals that can still attend a hospital birth.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search