My appt with a bunch of questions....

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 3rd, 2009, 11:39 AM
Platinum Supermommy
(with the midwife that delivered Emme)

I asked her how stuck Emme really was and she said it was snug but that she didnt freak out or anything. Just pubic pressure and some pulling. She said she didnt have to do any major manuevering. I told her good because I really want Shea to be able to catch the baby this time. So she said that she doesnt want this baby to be any bigger than Emme so it doesnt get stuck. (I started getting a little worried here). She said that she wants me to be on a diabetic pregnancy diet. She wants me to gain 20 pounds and no more than 25. She said that is plenty of weight to grow a healthy baby. Then she said since Emme was overdue by a week that it probably aided in her being "bigger". So she said she wanted to start natural induction methods at 37 weeks...

I talked to Shea and he said that she is probably a little more worried about this baby being stuck than she is letting on. That maybe she wants to make sure I dont end up in the hospital with a stuck baby. He said she knows how important a NCB is to me so thats probably why she says I need to do those things.

I dunno. I cant get it outta my head that Im starving my baby and restricting its growth or something. And I dont mind walking and having sex at 37 weeks cause Ill be doing that anyways but I dont wanna do anything else.

What do you all think? If I just ignore her and start gaining a bunch of weight Im scared she will say that I need to go to a hospital or something.... Ughhhhhhhhhh.

On a positive side note she said the her backup OB is the only one in this area that will deliver a breech baby vaginally. And she said if the baby has any kind of "problems" (for lack of better word) such as Downs or Trisomy 18 that I can still deliver at the BC.

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
June 3rd, 2009, 11:49 AM
^RaineDrop^'s Avatar Summer Raine is 1 YR OLD!
Send a message via AIM to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via MSN to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via Yahoo to ^RaineDrop^
Well I already told you my advice, and I can't wait to hear what others are going to say.. I'm reallly interested in hearing some back up for her 25 pound rule and inducing at 37 weeks...!

MY HOME WATER BIRTH WAS AMAZING

www.momentsbyheather.com
June 3rd, 2009, 12:11 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Natural "induction" is what? walking? EPO? Sex?

as far as the weight, are you of an "average" weight for your height right now? I ate really well and exercised thru my whole pregnancy and gained almost 40lbs. My body did what my body needed to do (and boy was i shocked when i had a 5lb baby!! LOL). Also, every pregnancy is different and just cause one baby got a little stuck and was a little big, is no reason to assume this one will too. Did you do anything with the first pregnancy to open the pelvis towards the end? LIke the birthing ball, squats, etc?

June 3rd, 2009, 12:12 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Um, let me tell you all I can see is a big red flag looming. I do not think there is a huge problem as far as your baby getting stuck. I do feel that she is setting you up for failure by trying to start labor before your body.baby is ready.

I know this seems to be my mantra lately, but check out the ICAN list on yahoo. There are a lot of women there that can hel you with this stuff.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
June 3rd, 2009, 12:32 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
IMO gaining a lot of weight isn't so much the issue as is how you've gained the weight really... The brewer diet is what she was talking about, ya? That is a high protein, low simple carb diet, and it is GREAT for you and baby.

White rice, white flour/bread, potatoes and those types of things do tend to grow big babies. Often, sticking away from those things means you won't gain so much. Over gaining is NOT healthy... it never is at any point in life, why would it be in pregnancy? I personally plan to gain only a certain amount of weight, plus gaining back what I have lost. I'll be sticking to the brewer diet pretty closely once I am done with this M/S. It was designed specific for gest. diabeties, but it really is a well suited diet for every pregnant mama.

As for starting natural induction techniques at 37 weeks... well it depends what she is talking about. And of course, it depends on how you are feeling.

June 3rd, 2009, 12:34 PM
Martina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
well is that her concern only because you want Shea to catch the baby??? I dont know how big your baby was, but my last one was quite stuck in there, and m/w had to help a lot to get her out but I still have the same midwife and she isnt concerned at all. I was the one who wanted to gain very little weight this time and she said I just should eat healthy and will gain what I will gain. I am at 33 pounds gain so far, and it will be the least amount of weight I gained but it is the way my body is working, not me restricting myself or anything.
I have big babies and nobody ever asked me to go on special diet. I find that strange for her to tell you to go on special diet if there are no health issues involved.

June 3rd, 2009, 12:37 PM
oh and I do see her concern b/c a dystocia, even a slight one, is the BIGGEST indicator of another dystocia occuring. Of course it doesn't always reoccur, but usually it does. It is usually every midwife's biggest fear- so of course she'd want to do everything she can to prevent another one.

if you do switch (which I don't think sounds necessary by any means) getting a very experienced midwife would be prudent. A greener midwife is certainly going to have less experience with a dystocia, nad experience=safety.

June 3rd, 2009, 12:54 PM
rachna's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with Meghan, I wonder too if she is seeing problems before there are any. I know all these new weight gain standards were just released, I honestly pay little attention to weight gain, I gained less then 15lbs with both my babies and it was just fine. I ate plenty too!
June 3rd, 2009, 02:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm78 View Post
Natural "induction" is what? walking? EPO? Sex?

as far as the weight, are you of an "average" weight for your height right now? Did you do anything with the first pregnancy to open the pelvis towards the end? LIke the birthing ball, squats, etc?

Im assuming thats what she means... But like I said I will be doing all that anyways so Im not sure. She made it sound like she doesnt want me going past my due date. I weigh 130 pounds and Im 5'5. And all I did with Emme was sit on the birthing ball and do squats so I think my pelvis should have been as open as it could be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaMama View Post
IMO gaining a lot of weight isn't so much the issue as is how you've gained the weight really... The brewer diet is what she was talking about, ya? That is a high protein, low simple carb diet, and it is GREAT for you and baby.
I think Im going to give the diet a try but Im not going to follow it religiously or anything. And I dont think the weight gain is an issue either. Thats why Im wondering why she is giving me restrictions. I gained 31 with Brynn and 30 something with Emme. IMO that is fine and normal weight gain during pregnancy and she wants to cut that down by over 10 pounds.

June 3rd, 2009, 02:40 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martina View Post
well is that her concern only because you want Shea to catch the baby???
I have big babies and nobody ever asked me to go on special diet. I find that strange for her to tell you to go on special diet if there are no health issues involved.

I was thinking the same thing. And I dont think its so much about Shea catching the baby. Im wondering if she is really afraid of this one being stuck also (both of my other 2 were) and then her having to use some desperate measures or something. Im not too worried about it but she seemed kind of worried... Im really not sure...

June 3rd, 2009, 02:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaMama View Post

if you do switch (which I don't think sounds necessary by any means) getting a very experienced midwife would be prudent. A greener midwife is certainly going to have less experience with a dystocia, nad experience=safety.
Yes she is very experienced. Many many many years. She was a L&D nurse and now she trains all the midwifes in our area. She teaches the classes on neonatal resuscitation also. If Im going to go with a midwife it has to be her. There are no other choices around here. And I really do like her. I guess Im just shocked.

June 3rd, 2009, 03:16 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
interesting for sure. I don't think the Brewer Diet is that restrictive, and it's easy enough to substitute brown rice for white, whole wheat pasta for pasta, that kind of thing.

I gained 34 lbs total with Cadie (I was bummed because 33 is my lucky number and I went over by 1) and I am 5'3" and a little over 130 now. I'm not sure if 25 is realistic. Like Cheryl said, if you avoid the things that are known to beef baby way up, maybe it will be ok?

I do see some red flags, but take some time to think about it through all the way. Cheryl makes some good points, as do everyone else. I don't know that you need to run scared from her, but you are aware enough to know you can negotiate and refuse any things you don't want. You had a tough labor with Emme but you succeeded!
June 3rd, 2009, 04:02 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What position did you push in with the others?

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
June 3rd, 2009, 04:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
well I have no personal or medical experieince, but I don 'tsee anything wrong with trying to only gain 20-25 pounds. That is what the average normal person should gain. NOt to say that its bad to gain too much or too little, but the average person should only gain 20-25. I gained 25 with Nichole and I ate everything and anything I wanted. If I gain more then that I might cry! lol ok but on a serious note,
I see nothing wrong with being on the diet, heck maybe we all should be all the time not just pregnancy, as far as inducing at 37, depends on what she means.

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

June 3rd, 2009, 05:42 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I guess it depends on the type of diet she wants you on (agreeing with the HOW you put on wt). How I interpret what she is say is just a lower then the normal American Carb eating (Americans eat to many carbs already---she sounds like she is just asking you to back off that a little), but then eating healthier with a few less carbs probably wouldn't kill any of us LOL. Plus if your normal wt don't ALL providers say they would like to see your wt gain about 20-25lbs during pregnancy---your "suppose" to gain the most with your first pregnancy because your body doesn't know whats going on so it stores extra---you have a BTDT body so it "shouldn't" hold as much extra this time. Extra wt is a problem for SO many reasons, I don't think people should diet while pregnant, but I know what most of us eat---and its not as healthy as it could be.

And as said above---the BIGGEST indication you may get dystocia is having it once already.

The induction techniques at 37 weeks--depends on what she is talking about----more prepping body (RRLT/EPO/Sex) or more Induction (nipple stimulation/Cohash/Mineral oil). I guess I would see how *I* felt at the time on that one.
June 4th, 2009, 04:32 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
My midwife said to gain 35-45 lbs. I was average weight when I got pregnant. Still shocked I did not have a 12lb baby

June 4th, 2009, 06:10 AM
It sounds like everything is pretty good. Since you've had two sticky babies I think her concern is valid. The brewer diet usually does help a mama to gain closer to 20-25 then just eating anything.

her level of experience is also supurb for you. I think you sound to be in wonderful hands!

It also sounds like she only wants you to do some gentle things to get your body prepper for labor, which is good. Possibly closer to 39-40 weeks she may want to strip your membranes, which also won't force labor, but will be a strong encourager.

June 4th, 2009, 07:09 AM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How big was Emme? I don't think there is always a direct correlation between maternal weight gain and size at birth, I've known many women who have gained 30+ lbs and had small to average-sized babies.

Just a thought, have you considered, or has the mw mentioned, getting chiropractic adjustments? I would think that any tightness or misalignments in the pelvis would be a big contributor to Emme being a snug fit.

I would be curious about what natural induction methods she wants you to do. It's still forcing your baby out before it is ready to be born. Unless like Cheryl said she just wants your body to be prepped when the time comes.

June 4th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't know, what you have said doesn't sit well with me. Obviously if she is the only midwife you will go with, your chances are much better with her than any OB though.

I would laugh at the weight gain recommendation. I gained 55lbs with Abby and 45lbs with Anna. I ate anything I wanted with Abby and was extremely swollen by the end. I ate well and exercised with Anna, and didn't swell. My weight loss has followed the exact same pattern this time, so I believe the extra 10lbs was water weight, in my first pregnancy. I also believe my body gained what it felt was neccesary. From the description of the Brewer diet, it's very similiar to how I eat, brown rice, whole wheat breads and pastas, plenty of protien. I truely feel it would be unhealthy for both me and my baby, if I were to try and gain only 25lbs. There is nothing wrong with asking you to eat healthy and exercise, it's a good recommendation for anyone. I think putting a restriction on your weight gain is unhealthy though and asking for trouble.

Expecting baby #4!

June 4th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ablepearl View Post
What position did you push in with the others?

See I believe this to be most of the problem too. I pushed on the bed on my back for both. The first time because of the epidural. The second time because I literally could not move. Any other position hurt like hell. Maybe this time will be different??

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherMichelle View Post
How big was Emme? I don't think there is always a direct correlation between maternal weight gain and size at birth, I've known many women who have gained 30+ lbs and had small to average-sized babies.

Just a thought, have you considered, or has the mw mentioned, getting chiropractic adjustments? I would think that any tightness or misalignments in the pelvis would be a big contributor to Emme being a snug fit.
Brynn was 6 lbs 15 oz and Emme was 8 lbs 7 oz. Definitely not very big babies... I gained 30 something with both. And I was thinking about seeing a chiroprator this time. Thanks for the reminder. Ill bring that up to her too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andi2284 View Post
I don't know, what you have said doesn't sit well with me. Obviously if she is the only midwife you will go with, your chances are much better with her than any OB though.

I think putting a restriction on your weight gain is unhealthy though and asking for trouble.

My feelings exactly. Im going to go with the diet because it really is healthier for me and the baby anyways. Im not even so much as seeing it as a diet now but a lifestyle change. However I feel like I ate well with Emme and exercised a bunch and I still gained 30 something so I feel like even if I do follow the "diet" I will still gain more than 20 pounds. My body just gains more when Im pregnant.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search