Introduction and advice needed

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 3rd, 2009, 08:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi ladies,

I'm new to this board but not new to JM. I'm pregnant with our first and originally I had basically planned on just going with an epi for the delivery and calling it a day.

As time goes on and I learn more I'm starting to think that I may want to go with natural childbirth. DH will support me whichever way I choose to go and will do what needs to be done to help me through it all.

My question to all of you is where do I start? I have less than three months to prepare and I don't know where to begin. Do any of you have any advice on this?

Also, am I crazy for choosing this now or do I still have time?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Thank you ~*I:Makerinces*~ for my beautiful siggy!

June 3rd, 2009, 08:41 PM
liveandlove0725's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
YAY another Sept DDCer! So excited!! You definitely have ample time to research and prepare, These links should give you a great start

This recent thread is pretty much a crash course:

http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f2...-decision.html (Last Minute Decision...)

And this book thread is good too:

http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f2...ncb-books.html (NCB books?)

Were so happy to have you!
June 4th, 2009, 01:10 AM
rachna's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome, I am new in here too!

To be honest, I did absolutely nothing to prepare. I had a bad experience the first time, and knew I wanted natural the second, I was more scared of the meds then I was of giving birth. So I just did it. I think I mostly prepared myself mentally that this was what I wanted and what I was doing, and it was okay. I also (and I think this is important) didn't make it something I was going to beat myself up over if it didn't happen, I think thats why I didnt really do anything to prepare, because I think for me that would have made it harder. If that makes sense. This is just me though.

I am also the type that both times packed my hospital bag 5 minutes before I left for the hospital. I labored for 12 hours at home the first time and about 8 the second, it gave me something to do!
June 4th, 2009, 02:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by liveandlove0725 View Post
YAY another Sept DDCer!
Hey Chyrstal!

I didn't realize any Sept. folks were here. So tell me, when did you decide that you wanted to go the natural way? And why? I'm still collecting as much info as possible.

Nice to see ya here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachna View Post
I also (and I think this is important) didn't make it something I was going to beat myself up over if it didn't happen, I think thats why I didnt really do anything to prepare, because I think for me that would have made it harder. If that makes sense. This is just me though.
Hi Rachna,

I think I'm of the same mindset. I want to try for it but if things get too intense I am not going to beat myself up over it. I don't even know if I'll tell anyone aside from DH about my plans just because I don't want judgements either way if that makes sense. Well aside from DH and some ladies that I'm asking advice from.

June 4th, 2009, 08:14 AM
noworries
Welcome to the board. You definitely have time to prepare. Reading Ina May's Guide to Childbirth is a great place to start as it has lots of great natural childbirth stories and it's really helpful to read stories like that as it will help eliminate any fear. Plus it has lots of great info.
Learn some relaxation and visualization techniques and practice, practice, practice. If you are able to relax your entire body, it makes the contractions much more bearable.
June 4th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Glad you introduced yourself here! Welcome!!

16 weeks
4 weeks
8 weeks
June 4th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I think the best way to prepare is to have information on your side. You want to know what your options are and when interventions are best used during labor and delivery. Having a doctor or midwife that is truely on board with your choice is very important too. For me, that meant going to a birth center where an epidural wasn't an option, and the midwives were very natural birth friendly.

Good luck!

June 4th, 2009, 08:31 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Woot! Another Sept mommy...lol.

I have been here since the beginning. I did have a pain med free birth with my Sept 09 baby, although it wasn't very natural.

I know you can do it! If DH is supportive then the Bradley MEthod may be good for you. There are a few books you can get on it. Natural Birth the Bradley Way is good for you to read and Husband Couched Childbirth is geared for Daddy to read.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
June 4th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Hello!!! You can definitely do it! Just start preparing how you want to handle your labor.

Do you want to take a hypno class? A bradley method class? Is one available that will be finished in time? Look in your area for those.

Get you hands on as many books as you can.

Maybe you dont want to follow a technique but want to have dim lights and soothing music playing while Dh rubs your back.

One piece of advice is to stay at home for as long as you can until you go to the hospital or you will probably be pushed with induction/pain meds.

Have you talked with your care provider? Let them know how you feel and make a birth plan to discuss with him/her.

Good luck!! You can do it!!

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
June 4th, 2009, 09:49 AM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Be very up front with your provider now about what the hospital policies are as far as monitoring, mobility, etc, and their own policies on when to induce. Some doctors will start pushing you to induce the second you go over 40 weeks, and those types of interventions tend to increase your chances of needing other interventions. Once you research and know what you are comfortable with, and if you and your doctor/hospital are not compatible, start looking elsewhere. Find someone you can work with and who will support your decisions.

Educate your dh and/or get a doula. If you do choose to give birth at a hospital, when you get there try and get a nurse assigned to you who is knows and respects NCB. Not all of them are, and if you have someone pushing an epidural on you every 30 minutes it's going to be harder to say no. You'll need people to support you to keep you going.

Then keep on reading lots of good NCB stories to build up your confidence and reduce any fears you might have about labor. You can totally do it!

June 4th, 2009, 09:55 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome! Everyone else has given wonderful advice

June 4th, 2009, 10:08 AM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hello! You're definitely not too late...you've got plenty of time to read up on NCB and educate yourself.
The ladies here have already given you some wonderful advice. I totally agree to make sure you and your doctor are on the same page before you go into labor...that's not something you want to discuss between 4 and 6 cm, LOL.
Also, I loved Ina May Gaskin's 'Guide to Childbirth'. It's a little bit -um- overly crunchy for me, but there are a ton of great and inspiring NCB stories in there. It helped me understand (before labor) that my body was really capable of doing this if I'd just let it. It also helped with the fear/tension/pain triangle.
Also, once you actually are in labor, feel free to experiment. If you've decided on one method, but it's not working, try another! There's no 'right' way to do this.

Congratulations on your baby boy, and good luck! Hope you stick around so we can get to know you!

Sara's beautiful children: Cassidy (5y) and Joel (3y 4m) and Timothy (almost 8 months)
Yes, I know I need a new picture .

June 4th, 2009, 10:09 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
welcome!!

June 4th, 2009, 10:58 AM
~ Christine ~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome!!! You have MORE than enough time. I decided about the same time as you and I just read everything I could get my hands on. You absolutely can do this - just find your motivation!

Forever missing our angel 8.31.07

June 4th, 2009, 11:28 AM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome! It's absolutely not too late. Read and read some more. Research the risks of interventions and the benefits of NCB. Mental preperation is key. I would suggest deciding now that unless an intervention like an epi or c-section is truly needed (and there are times it is), that you will commit to NCB. If you give yourself an easy out now, chances are you will take it. Good luck!
June 4th, 2009, 11:34 AM
WilNat's Avatar Veteran
and yay for another september mama!! We'll all be here to cheer each other along, that's so fun I think the ladies here have given you great advice. Good luck, you can do it!

June 4th, 2009, 03:06 PM
liveandlove0725's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDutch View Post
Hey Chyrstal!

I didn't realize any Sept. folks were here. So tell me, when did you decide that you wanted to go the natural way? And why? I'm still collecting as much info as possible.

Nice to see ya here!
About a month before we conceived I watched "The Business of Being Born" (definitely see it if you haven't already) and it completely changed my perception of birth. The more I researched, the more I was convinced that a hospital birth (or at least a medicated birth) is not for me (unless absolutely necessary). I know it will be hard but I know if I prepare enough, I can do it.

The clincher for me was reading testimonials from mommies who had a pitocin/epidural birth AND a well-prepared NCB birth experience and not one I've found prefers the epi over the well-prepared NCB. That is really powerful to me.

I know anything can happen and there is a chance a NCB may not happen for me but even the attention and preparation I've done so far makes me really proud. And the ladies on this board provide so much support, it's inspirational!

I start HypnoBirthing mid-July and I'm so excited!! I can't wait to hear your feedback on the books/movies/sites that have been reccommended. Again, I'm so glad you are here!!
June 4th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thank you ladies for your warm embrace. I'll definitely post more when I read more. I got Ima's book to start things off. Also will go to the library to get The Business of Birth this weekend.

Ya'll are great, thanks! (And hey to my fellow Sept. DDC gals! Happy to see you here too!)

June 4th, 2009, 07:33 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
hi, welcome and congrats! I'm Cheryl, co-host here. I don't have anything extra to add really, but I do feel preparation is important. I know some people do it without much prep, but I wouldn't recommend it. I spent a lot of time reading, took a wonderful childbirth class, and I had a doula. She was the best thing to happen to my birth, for real.

I highly recommend watching the business of being born, it's great!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search