Vbac

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 4th, 2009, 08:56 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I find it so sad to see so many women who barely even consider a VBAC. Many times, it's a doctor who discourages it or is unsupportive of it in general. They like the "convienence" of scheduling the section instead of spontaneous labor or they don't like the thought of going into labor and then having an emergency c-section. Of course, you can't be induced with a VBAC and heaven forbid someone actually hit thier due date It seems like more and more women are getting forced into c-sections without even knowing thier options

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

Last edited by andi2284; June 4th, 2009 at 08:59 AM.
June 4th, 2009, 09:08 AM
noworries
My sister just had a successful VBAC (on her due date....luckily, her doctor was "willing" to let her go about a week past her due date if needed) but her doctor asked her at about 34 weeks "Are you sure you don't just want to do another c-section. I would cut over the same scar from your last one so you wouldn't have another scar". Like the only worry my sister had about getting another c-section was the scar.
June 4th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by chispaza View Post
My sister just had a successful VBAC (on her due date....luckily, her doctor was "willing" to let her go about a week past her due date if needed) but her doctor asked her at about 34 weeks "Are you sure you don't just want to do another c-section. I would cut over the same scar from your last one so you wouldn't have another scar". Like the only worry my sister had about getting another c-section was the scar.
at the doctor but Hooray for her!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know what you mean. My moms hospital wont do VBACs... She told me because they are dangerous and the safest thing for women to do after they have had a section is to get another section... (I threw up in my mouth a little bit after hearing that...)

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
June 4th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Platinum Supermommy
It's just so sad this has become the norm for mothers with a previous c-section.

June 4th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Platinum Supermommy
And whats sad about it is the may or may not be able to have the kids that they want. My friends OB told her after her second section that she would have to look and see if it was safe for her to have anymore kids... Why not give her some other options like a VBAC??

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
June 4th, 2009, 10:56 AM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
As someone who has had one section, it is very frustrating knowing the obstacles. I think many women just take what their doctors say at face value and never look into it further, and even those who WANT a vbac can't find someone to take them. Many face the choice of having a repeat or doing it unassisted at home or showing up at the hospital last minute. It sucks. Or if you do find someone to "let" you vbac, they won't let you go past 40 or 41 weeks, so for those women who need to bake a little longer it's like getting your hopes up for nothing.

Although I will say, having had an emergency c-section after laboring, I'm terrified of that happening again. The labor I had was extremely hard, the c-section itself was hard; the two together and the recovery were pure hell. As much as I don't want another c-section, if I knew going into labor that my chances of a successful vbac were small, I'd just go for the repeat.

June 4th, 2009, 11:02 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Whenever I hear about someone planning a repeat cesarean I ask about how many children they want.... so many women don't realize how dangerous lots of cesareans are.

A VBAC is a big decision, cause it does have risks. So does the cesarean though. So many women don't even get the option due to their doctor, fear tactics, hospital protocol and more.

June 4th, 2009, 11:11 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
well, the lack of doctors who will try a VBAC are getting more and more limited by the minute, so that has a lot to do with it as well.

June 4th, 2009, 11:40 AM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
THe state of obstetrics in this country has really become an issue. C-sections are risky and doctors portray them to be as safe as a 'normal' delivery. If we consider the 'normal' delivery in the US this may be true. Bt comparing a c-section to a spontneous, physiological birth with little to no interventions and saying it is just as safe is ridiculous.

I have been blessed to have 3 VBACs, well 4 but the fourth I don't see as such a blessing, but I digress. I hate to actully fight to have my third VBAC, for no other reason except that I moved to a new state with a harsh birth climate. It is sad that even a woman with a proven scar and pelvis has to fight.

If we decide to have anymore children I hope I am still here so I can use the midwives I had last time, they were awesome!

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
June 4th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
its sad that they are told they are more dangerous then repeat sections.
My friend just had her 2nd section, but she had a vertical cut on the inside and horizontal on the outside. Not sure why they cut her like that, but well.... she couldn't even try for a VBAC though she wanted to

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

June 4th, 2009, 07:23 PM
rachna's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it is SOOO sad, I have one friend right now who refuses to even consider it, her husband is an ER dr, and therefore knows everything about every other kind of medicine and is adamantly opposed. And then she is whining to me because the hospital now has a policy that unless there is a medical reason they wont schedule a c-section before 39 weeks, and she doesnt want to have to go that long. She is due thanksgiving week, and god forbid the baby gets in the way of thanksgiving, or she has to have a bris on thanksgiving. It makes me soooo mad, I made a comment to her the last time that I would think she should worry more about the baby being healthy and that in itself would be a good thanksgiving.

Ugh sorry tangent. But it irks me soooo much
June 5th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Mom4Life_11's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
NOT ME! I will never been forced into anything I don't want...that's just how I am and luckily found a GREAT OB who STRONGLY encourages woman (with no compilations in pregnancy) to TRY a VBAC. I tried and I had a very successful VBAC and I am so happy I choose that and that my OB supported it 100% my OB says there is way to many unnecessary c/s's being done.

...and I agree as well WAY to many c-sections being done. very sad!

Last edited by Mom4Life_11; June 5th, 2009 at 07:21 AM.
June 5th, 2009, 11:10 AM
liveandlove0725's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have a friend who is planning on having an epidural and I overheard her talking to a woman I didn't know. The woman asked her, "Are you planning a c/s or a natural birth"? And she responded, "A natural birth."

The whole convo threw me for a loop!

1- C/S are so common that question wasn't that surprising to hear.
2- Since when is a vaginal epi birth a "natural" birth?

UGGH.

It's terrible.
June 5th, 2009, 12:09 PM
noworries
Many people think natural and vaginal are the same thing. This is why I usually specify that I had an unmedicated birth rather than use the word natural.
June 5th, 2009, 12:57 PM
LindensMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
There is a pregnant lady in my IRL moms group who is having a c-section in a couple days - she's just barely 39 weeks...but she's having it because her last pregnancy, the baby was breach and the doc said her next pregnancies the baby would never turn.

June 5th, 2009, 02:10 PM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
even being higher risk with the complications my son had and being in the communist state of New Jersey I found a great midwife who took me and supported my decision to VBAC. And I had a wonderful all natural VBAC!

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**
Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 3/1/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

June 5th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Snow Mami
My poor SIL had a c-section after going through 21 hours of labour with her first. She tried very hard for a VBAC with her second and ended up with the same outcome (long labour and ended up with a c-section). Both times she was fully dilated and the baby was down but they could not get their heads past her pubic bone. Now according to the rules where she lives (Calgary, Alberta) she has to have c-section. She told me that she will not show up for a scheduled one unless she is over 41 weeks, that she wants to wait until she goes into labour on her own to make sure the baby is ready. I can’t imagine wanting a c-section after watching what she went through. She had a very hard time with recovery.
June 5th, 2009, 08:22 PM
rachna's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindensMommy View Post
There is a pregnant lady in my IRL moms group who is having a c-section in a couple days - she's just barely 39 weeks...but she's having it because her last pregnancy, the baby was breach and the doc said her next pregnancies the baby would never turn.

What? That is just dumb.
June 5th, 2009, 09:23 PM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowBabyGrow View Post
at the doctor but Hooray for her!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know what you mean. My moms hospital wont do VBACs... She told me because they are dangerous and the safest thing for women to do after they have had a section is to get another section... (I threw up in my mouth a little bit after hearing that...)
And tell me how that theory applies to someone like me who wants a large family?! The more times you are cut into someone the more dangerous it is! This kind of thing just irritates me!

June 6th, 2009, 06:26 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Wow, Des, and that is some of the crap doctors tell women!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search