Midwife Prenatal Appointments

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 5th, 2009, 04:12 PM
tygrss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just found out that I am pregnant yesterday. I called one of the midwives that delivered DS today and she said that she typically is pretty hands off until around 10-11 weeks, then she starts appointments unless there's a problem beforehand, in which case she brings you in. She just advises taking prenatals, eating well and getting plenty of rest.

Last time I switched to the midwives/birthcenter at 37 weeks, so I am new to early prenatal-midwivary care. Is this standard? Of course, the first 37 weeks of DS' prenatal care was with an OB and I was first seen at 8 weeks, had an U/S at 10 weeks, then started coming in monthly for the remainder of the first trimester. It's just so wierd to me since all of the other women in my DDC are already seeing their OBs at 4-6 weeks!

June 5th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Martina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think that is pretty normal, that is pretty normal for doctors here too, not just midwives.
What i had to do though is to book appointment asap so I would get in to see the midwife I wanted. So let's say I was about 4 weeks preggo when I made an app. to see midwife at 12 weeks. kwim? I think I went to see "my" midwife earlier this last pregnancy, I think, not sure. But then she knows me too well by now.

June 5th, 2009, 04:54 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
my 1st appt was at 7 weeks with the birth center.

June 5th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
I went in for a tour and consult w/ my midwife at about 6-7 weeks but didn't have an actual appt until 11 weeks.

Facebook
June 5th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
pretty normal, even for a lot of OB practices. We tend to get a skewed version on boards like these. They tend to attract women who have "problems" with pregnancies.

I had my first meeting at 6 weeks, just to go over medical records and sort of a get-to-know-you thing. But she doesn't start "real" appointments until 12 weeks so you have a better chance at hearing the HB. Past midwives though have started appointments around 6-8 weeks. It's just a matter of preference I guess. It's also very standard to only have one ultrasound during your pregnancy unless there is cause for concern or wanting to "date" the pregnancy.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

June 5th, 2009, 05:50 PM
I figured that it's fairly normal. I have a skewed view from reading this board and being a physician (when I do work with pregnant women they tend to be high-risk).

Awesome. I can't wait to start the prenatal appointments, God-willing. I love how the first thing she said to me when I called her today was "So, you wanna have a homebirth this time?" She probably thinks that I won't make it to the birth center. LOL.

June 5th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yup I just had my first appt because she told met to wait until I was 10-12 weeks.

Are you doing a homebirth?? How exciting!!!

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
June 5th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Sounds very normal. I started seeing an OB with my last pregnancy and wasn't seen int he office until 12 weeks.

June 5th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
yep normal here too. My midwife does routine non pregnant stuff as well(paps and such) and she doesn't see you till at least 12 weeks. So I called at 12 weeks and had an appointment for the next week

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

June 5th, 2009, 07:16 PM
rachna's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sounds normal to me, my practice sees people between 8-12 weeks for the first appointment, unless there is a problem
June 6th, 2009, 03:51 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Quote:
Originally Posted by tygrss View Post
I figured that it's fairly normal. I have a skewed view from reading this board and being a physician (when I do work with pregnant women they tend to be high-risk).

Awesome. I can't wait to start the prenatal appointments, God-willing. I love how the first thing she said to me when I called her today was "So, you wanna have a homebirth this time?" She probably thinks that I won't make it to the birth center. LOL.

I work with a lot of high risk pregnancy patients and infertility patients and getting ONE ultrasound during your pregnancy is so foreign in that world, cause by the end of their first trimester, most have had at least half a dozen! LOL.

That is great that you are with a midwife and possibly doing a home birth I loved my prenatal visits with the midwives. I had to have a follow up with the OB yesterday and it only further showed me how special the birth center is and how lucky i am to have been there and to continue being a patient there.

June 6th, 2009, 04:44 AM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sounds right to me also--I had my first appointment at 7 weeks (but because I was pregnant first month post D&C), but my normal first would have been 10-12 weeks. CONGRATS to you BTW and wooohoo for another home birther!!!! (I'm doing home birth next month-or aug ish LOL----not sure if you know or not but we also have a home birth forum on JM!)
June 6th, 2009, 06:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm78 View Post
I work with a lot of high risk pregnancy patients and infertility patients and getting ONE ultrasound during your pregnancy is so foreign in that world, cause by the end of their first trimester, most have had at least half a dozen! LOL.

That is great that you are with a midwife and possibly doing a home birth I loved my prenatal visits with the midwives. I had to have a follow up with the OB yesterday and it only further showed me how special the birth center is and how lucky i am to have been there and to continue being a patient there.
Right!
Last pregnancy I started out with an OB. I had an U/S at 10 weeks for dating (which was silly since I had been charting). I had another one at 20 weeks (actually two--transabdominal, then transvaginal). The tech thought that I had a short cervix, so I had another two the next day with a high-risk OB who said that my cervix was perfect. Then another one at 28 weeks to check to make sure that I didn't have placenta previa (which I didn't). 6 Ultrasounds! It was insane! That was around the time that I started to feel that I had had enough and started looking around for Midwives. Ended up switching to a freestanding birth center at 37 weeks and the rest is history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soImarriedAnerd View Post
Sounds right to me also--I had my first appointment at 7 weeks (but because I was pregnant first month post D&C), but my normal first would have been 10-12 weeks. CONGRATS to you BTW and wooohoo for another home birther!!!! (I'm doing home birth next month-or aug ish LOL----not sure if you know or not but we also have a home birth forum on JM!)
How exciting for you!
I know about the board. I lurk over there. I'm taking things slowly right now since I'm sooooo early.
With DS my labor was a total of 3 hours and 10 minutes (water broke at 230 am, first contractions at 315am, and he was born at 540am). Before leaving the birth center later that morning my two midwives suggested homebirth for next time. Almost two years later the one I spoke with yesterday remembered the conversation. Love her!

June 6th, 2009, 07:46 AM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
First off CONGRATS on your pregnancy!!! Gonna ditto what the rest of the ladies said. I went in for my first appt with my midwife at 4 weeks, but it was mainly an info taking session, then she scheduled me back at almost 12 weeks where we checked the heartbeat. My midwife is really laid back. She trusts that since it's not my first pregnancy I know how to take care of myself. Most of my appts have just been spent chatting!

Sounds like you have a nice midwife since she remembered that you had a short labor 2 years later! I too am having a homebirth this time around. Good luck with your pregnancy and birth!!!
June 6th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yep, I remember I was SO dissapointed that my first appointment wasn't until 12 weeks- those were the longest 12 weeks of my life!!! The appt. ended up being on our 2nd wedding anniversary (and we hadn't told ANYONE) so it was a very special day. Congrats!!

Thank you CupcakeJamie for my beautiful siggy!

June 6th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Just wanted to add my voice to the choir. My first appointment was 10 weeks. In my DDC, most of their OBs wouldn't even see them until 12 weeks.

Congrats!

June 6th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Lacey.♥s.Lemons's Avatar Mommy March '05 & Feb '10
Send a message via MSN to Lacey.♥s.Lemons Send a message via Yahoo to Lacey.♥s.Lemons
Hi! I'm in your DDC. I was having the same question because with ds I had an OB. I'm glad you asked it

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search