My OB appt (well consult)

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 6th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I promised my mother that I would meet and interview this OB so I did.

She had some good points and some bad points. One thing that threw a red flag is that she said she doesnt like mothers to go past their due date. I told her I probably would and she said it increases your chance for a stillbirth. Secondly she said that she likes to see 2nd+ time moms dialating 1cm per hour. I said there is no way thats going to happen for me either. I told her I have long early labor and then active labor goes fast. She said if that is normal for me then that is fine. One more thing that I wasnt sure if it was a good or bad thing is she just got out of school 9 months ago. So she has lack of experience but she also seemed like she was willing to let me take the lead with my birth. Also she had a section with her only child.

Ok now for the good points. She said pain medication is up to the mother. If I want it its there if I dont I dont have to have it. She said she encourages walking during labor and getting in whatever postition I like best. She said I can push in any position I want. She even suggested not breaking the bed down and allowing me to squat up on the bed. She said that Dh can catch the baby! That was a big plus. She is fine with delayed cord clamping/cutting. She will put the baby directly onto me after birth. She also has a backup OB willing to do breech vaginal deliveries should the situation arise.

She said everything else is pretty much a question for the nurses/hospital. I told her I wasnt too worried about them since I know the director over L&D and my mom is the CNO. They already know what I want.

Anyways I think I might do shadow care with her. Basically go see her and the midwife. I dont know though... I told Dh that I had already made up my mind that I was going to the birthing center. I just cant see myself in a hospital after last time. My only major concern with the hospital is them taking the baby. I just dont want to let him/her go. It makes me sick thinking about it. I didnt even want the midwife to take Emme so she could lay her on the bed next to me LOL. I know Im overboard with that but I cant help it.

So as far as OBs go she isnt half bad huh?

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
June 6th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
the only thing that would really concern me is not letting you go past 40 weeks, come on now. That is silly. And who knows how long you labor will last, is she going to try to give you pitocin if you take more then 1cm an hour????

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

June 6th, 2009, 10:48 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
hmmmm. the 40 week thing and the 1cm/hour thing are HUGE red flags to me. It is hard to know what she'll during the heat of the moment. hard decision for you to make. i am really biased and loved the care i got from the midwives, the OBs i have seen in the past 2 weeks leave a lot to be desired-- even in just how they run their office.

June 6th, 2009, 01:04 PM
sillyp's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yeah, I agree about dilating 1cm per hour....I mean, I was in labor with Brennen for 18 hours. My early labor was very slow and then the last 2 hours of it went very fast and intense. Also, I don't like that she won't let you go past your due date/40 weeks. I went to 41 weeks and 4 days with my 2nd. I was lucky that my general family practioner in WI at the time was my OB and he was very NCB supportive and wasn't even going to consider inducing till I went past 42 weeks (which I didn't).
I honestly feel like deep down you need to do what YOU feel comfortable doing. It would be terrible to look back on your delivery/childbirth experience and have any regret about decisions or things that happened.
BUT it is awesome that she'd let DH catch the baby!

Thanks, Jaidynsmum, for the beautiful siggy!

June 6th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I definitely think Im going to go with the midwives and just use her as a backup. Im just so much more comfortable with the midwives. She does sound like a good back up though. And I can always refuse induction.

June 6th, 2009, 03:34 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ditto everyone above but the other part ...."thats up to the nurses/hospital"---um NO nurses can not direct orders---thats ALL MD stuff...MD say IV yes or no, Food yes or No, ETC ETC. So it sounds to me like she is setting it up to blame them for doing things she really wants but knows you will not. (which happens alot and is CRAP---sorry little nurses rage there)
June 6th, 2009, 07:05 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would be a little concerned about her experience. What will she do for a stuck baby? Will she be calm and handle it well, or will she freak out and pull the baby too forcefully?

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
June 6th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Too many red flags for me, I'd be too leary to go with her. Will you let her know you also have a midwife and double up on prenatal appointments?

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

June 6th, 2009, 07:22 PM
rachna's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
She sounds very "green" to me, and I feel bad saying that because you need to get experience to get experienced, but she sounds very fresh. I wonder if she would frustrate you more since you've done this before, you know yourself and your body and your labors, and you know what you want. I think there is no harm in going to both though, and seeing what you think.
June 6th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Those are kind of huge red flags, and the trend with OBs is that the closer you get to your due date, the more and more you find out that they really aren't as open to the things they tell you they are. Basically that if everything is going 100% textbook according to their extremely arbitrary guidelines, then you may be able to have the birth you want. Any tiny little thing happens that they're not comfortable with? And it's usually all over.

June 7th, 2009, 08:12 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
why do you feel you need backup? Especially from a very inexperienced care provider.....?

Last edited by DoulaMama; June 7th, 2009 at 08:20 AM.
June 7th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaMama View Post
why do you feel you need backup? Especially from a very inexperienced care provider.....?

Because I dont really like the hospital that my midwives use as a backup. So basically if they tell me we are going to have to send you to the hospital because of ___ Im going to be very uncomfortable going there and thats just going to make things worse. So lets say my BP did go up or something at least I would have had prenatal care with her and she would take me.

Also my the midwives make me pay out of pocket for US/tests/etc. so I have to go to an OB for those things anyway. And she would know that Im seeing her and a midwife.

Im not going to her right now though... And I may not. Im just leaving my options open for now.

June 7th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Is there a particular reason they use that hospital? The midwives I work with all transfer to a particular hospital b/c of many reasons- they have a much better NICU, they are nice to our transfer moms, they trust that the midwives are professional and experienced, and so many more reasons. Is something like that why they use a particular hospital?

Just curious. Of course it is good to have a planned out transfer plan that you're comfortable with.

June 7th, 2009, 11:59 AM
liveandlove0725's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Is there a particular reason they use that hospital? The midwives I work with all transfer to a particular hospital b/c of many reasons- they have a much better NICU, they are nice to our transfer moms, they trust that the midwives are professional and experienced, and so many more reasons. Is something like that why they use a particular hospital?

Just curious. Of course it is good to have a planned out transfer plan that you're comfortable with.
Wondering the same thing and also if the birth center has relationships with hospitals other than their main back-up. Mine has one they use most frequently but also another in case the mommy would prefer not to go to the main one.

I think it's a good idea for you to have a good relationship with your back-up - the one you met seems ok but I think it couldn't hurt for you to interview a few more. You don't sound 100% comfortable with her...
June 7th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
i don't know, but this is making me wonder about whether I should get a backup too.... because of the situation with my midwife, she doesn't have a backup OB per sey. She has a back up midwife, who has a back up OB. I worry about the chain of events in the case of something happening...hmmm.... something to talk about at my next appointment.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

June 7th, 2009, 01:42 PM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Your two red flags would be two of my most serious concerns about a provider. One that would push induction just because you're getting close to 40 weeks or augmentation because you're taking longer than 12 hours would really concern me & dissuade me. However,if she wouldn't have a primary say if you went past due and you would only deal with her for a few simple tests during pregnancy or if there was an issue at the BC, then maybe she's an alright choice. But remember, if you must transfer from the BC it's most likely means you won't be able to have a NCB, otherwise there's no need to transfer. So the fact that she supports NCB won't mean anything to you. My biggest concern is if she could mandate an induction overcthe wishes/care of your midwife. For that reason I personally wouldn't choose her.
June 7th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Ok, that makes sense. That sounds like a good plan then, and hopefully you won't have to transfer to her at any point anyway.

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

June 7th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:

Honestly that kind of worried me too... The backup OB the midwives had when I had Emme doesnt back them up anymore and she didnt really say why... Its hard for midwives around here to find an OB that will back them. So I think they are just kind of stuck with that hospital. The only other hospital in the area is the one that the OB I interviewed is at. And they "dont allow" midwives. I really think the midwives just use that hospital because they are kind of forced too...

My NCB choices are few and far between. Its like I have to pick the best out of the worst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunaB View Post
But remember, if you must transfer from the BC it's most likely means you won't be able to have a NCB, otherwise there's no need to transfer. So the fact that she supports NCB won't mean anything to you.

Good point. Maybe she will be less likely to cut me open though??

Quote:
Originally Posted by andi2284 View Post
Ok, that makes sense. That sounds like a good plan then, and hopefully you won't have to transfer to her at any point anyway.
My thoughts exactly. Hopefully this wont even be an issue!

June 7th, 2009, 07:48 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
sounds like a good backup for the small chance that you will need her!
June 8th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Well- does your midwife stay with you in thew hospital, and would she then not be able to stay with you if you chose a new facility?

I understand concerns about the difficulties of finding a backup OB. Here the standard is to use the on call OB at a very good hospital. They all handle transfers well, but some are better then others and it really is luck of the draw.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search