I would love to go natural!

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 8th, 2009, 03:18 AM
TurnAround
When I finally have a child I would love to do natural child birth.
A friend of mine did and she said it is an experience you will never forget, but there was like an hour where it was unbearable.
My thing is, I'm a complete chicken sh*t to pain unless I'm getting a tattoo...

Can anyone share some advice or their own personal stories on why they made this decision and if they would ever do it again?
June 8th, 2009, 05:06 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Determination, enviroment, preperation and support are the top things that will prepare you to handle childbirth naturally.

Keep reading on here and participating You'll learn a lot!

while TTC it is a good time to look into finding a care provider. A birthing center is a great place to have a NCB... when the option of pain meds isn't there it is a lot more realistic to do without.

June 8th, 2009, 06:59 AM
noworries
Honestly, I first made the decision for a natural birth after hearing horror stories about the side effects of the epidural. I thought, "Why possibly put myself through that when I don't have to". I started looking into options for natural childbirth and found it was the best decision not only for myself, but for my baby. If you prepare yourself, it is definitely doable. And an experience of a lifetime. I will definitely do it again, in fact, I am planning a homebirth this time around.
June 8th, 2009, 07:17 AM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm lazy and I don't like doctors messing with me. So when I thought about an epidural, I really thought "Why bother?"
I'm a chicken about pain too, no kidding. I cry and whine when DH pops zits on my face, lol. But I had a NCB with my daughter and I loved it! It's completely different when there's a purpose behind it!
I agree that you need to research it, and make your decision based on what's right for you. We don't do this for bragging rights, we do it because it's what's best for us. If you want to have a NCB, you really have to make up your mind to make it happen, because it's not the norm in our medical society these days! Good luck, and I hope you stick around and get to know us!

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

June 8th, 2009, 07:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I made the decision after my first birth. I handle it very well and ended up with an epidural when I was fully dilated (although I didn't know it). I thought, well, if I did it once, I can do it again. I chose a more supportive place for my second birth, a birthing center over a hospital, which also had a large tub to labor and give birth in. That definitely helped with the pain and intensity of the contractions. Labor pain is also different than most pain, it comes and goes and has a purpose. It was an amazing experience and I will do it again in a heartbeat!

Expecting baby #4!

June 8th, 2009, 08:04 AM
TurnAround
You ladies are truly inspirational! I will def. look into natural child birth. I have to say I applaud all you woman for having the strength for that!!! I plan to stick around, and I hope you ladies don't mind if I pick your brain.
June 8th, 2009, 09:16 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
please do stick around!

June 8th, 2009, 09:48 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
hi and welcome. Thanks for joining us. I'm Cheryl, co-host and mommy to Acadia who is almost 17 months old.

I was considering an elective section when I was first pregnant and totally clueless. My husband is an MD and had concerns about things like incontinence. I dismissed that quickly but it wasn't until I started researching I started leaning towards going all natural. I didn't want to be stuck in bed at mercy of an OB and lots of interventions. Then also what really solidified it for me was that being born on drugs really increases a persons likleyhood of addiction later in life.
June 8th, 2009, 11:17 AM
mom2bri's Avatar Super Mommy
Welcome to the board, everyone here is really supportive and helpful. I really hope you stick around with us. I had a epi with DD which led to a 3rd degree tear in addition to long term side effects so I am choosing not to go that route again. Like everyone else mentioned I think preparation and knowledge are the best tools for a successful NCB. Good luck!

Make a pregnancy ticker

June 8th, 2009, 10:47 PM
TurnAround
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl33 View Post
hi and welcome. Thanks for joining us. I'm Cheryl, co-host and mommy to Acadia who is almost 17 months old.

I was considering an elective section when I was first pregnant and totally clueless. My husband is an MD and had concerns about things like incontinence. I dismissed that quickly but it wasn't until I started researching I started leaning towards going all natural. I didn't want to be stuck in bed at mercy of an OB and lots of interventions. Then also what really solidified it for me was that being born on drugs really increases a persons likleyhood of addiction later in life.
I know this is totally off topic but how its it having your husband be an MD? I start my pre-med classes in August and frankly am terrified and have thought how it would affect my family life. I plan on specializing in obstetrics and gynecology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2bri View Post
Welcome to the board, everyone here is really supportive and helpful. I really hope you stick around with us. I had a epi with DD which led to a 3rd degree tear in addition to long term side effects so I am choosing not to go that route again. Like everyone else mentioned I think preparation and knowledge are the best tools for a successful NCB. Good luck!
That just sounds very painful. I am sorry that you had to go through that!
June 9th, 2009, 05:40 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
When we met he was in med school at Columbia. He was planning on becoming a surgeon but then decided he didn't want to go into that or even become a practicing physician. Instead he works for Johnson & Johnson and loves it. I have turned him into more of an open thinker when it comes to health. Our next will be born at home and he is probably more excited than I am about it. And then there is the fact that our daughter has no vaccines and will only get a few starting after she is 2. I know my inlaws are a little "*** happened to our son" but whatever.

Interesting that you want to be an OB and have a NCB!
June 9th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Super Mommy
My mom had all of her babies naturally and 7 (out of 10) of them were home births. As a teen I was at 4 of them. So when I was pregnant for the first time I never considered anything else. I knew I could do it, (if my mom could I knew I could! She has a very low pain tolerance) and I hate people telling me what to do, so I knew that dr's and me wouldn't click.
I'm very happy I did it. Both of my births were textbook perfect, absolutly no interventions, and no problems. If I had been in the hospital for my first I'm sure that I would been given pitocin, since she was about 22 hours start to finish. Since I was at home I was able to relax inbetween contractions, even sleep inbetween them at one point! For my first birth I never felt I couldn't do it until the end of crowning, that was tough, but then it was over and she was there and I felt like superwoman! I am still in awe.
My second was way faster, a bit more intense (no sleeping inbetween contractions this time!) but she was there so quickly I was amazed at the energy I had afterwards! I had no tearing, hardly any swelling, I practically felt like myself after 2 days, I had to be careful not to overdo it since I felt so great!
June 9th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Snow Mami
When I got pregnant with my first I thought that “as soon as I am 4cm I want the epi!” (that’s the earliest you could get it in my city) but then I took classes and read and read and realized all of the problems intervention could cause so we started thinking about a natural birth. About 3 months before I was due my SIL had a c-section and she felt that the interventions that she had contributed to why she had it. She had a very difficult recovery (lots of pain for more than a month). We decided to go as natural as possible but to not rule out asking for meds if I really felt I needed them. I told the nurse in triage “Don’t offer me drugs” and they respected that. My husband was very supportive of natural birth, his family are big believers that it is the best way, and when I went into labour I just felt like I needed to avoid interventions. Hard to explain the feeling that I had. My birth was fast but not what I would call easy. It was EXTREMLY painful during transition. I am thankful I told them not to offer me drugs because I may have taken them at that point. I am glad I did the natural childbirth because afterwards I felt FANTASTIC. I 100% plan on doing it again.
June 10th, 2009, 08:55 AM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
Natural Childbirth IS the most Amazing experience EVER!
I went into it with the mentality that, this is a natural process that my body was made to do! I never gave myself any other options...I did tear a tiny bit, but honestly, I didn't even know it until my midwife told me she needed to give me a couple of stitches! lol!
Is it hard? Yes! But is it worth it? TOTALLY! and I would do it again in a heart beat! (Call me weird, but I'm actually excited about getting to do it again someday!)

June 10th, 2009, 01:38 PM
amcghee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had a natural birth with my son 3 months ago. It was definitely an amazing experience - I am totally chicken SH#% and hate being in pain, so I can't say I loved it and would like to do it again tomorrow, but I am VERY happy I made that decision. My daughter's birth was long and boring - induced with pitocin and epidural and she was not interested in breastfeeding and was very jaundice. My son came out after just a few hours of labor and was alert, latched right on and is an extremely content and even-tempered baby. My recovery was totally different, too. 2 weeks and I was pretty much completely healed and felt wonderful!!

He was almost 10lbs at birth, but I didn't tear more than a few stitches worth but his shoulders were a bit "stuck" so the last bit of pushing and his birth were super painful for me. But, it only lasted a few minutes and even though you don't necessarily forget, it doesn't seem to matter when you hold that baby and think about your accomplishment!!!

June 10th, 2009, 03:14 PM
^RaineDrop^'s Avatar Summer Raine is 1 YR OLD!
Send a message via AIM to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via MSN to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via Yahoo to ^RaineDrop^
Frankly I'm more afraid of natural childbirth than possible side effects of epidural, but I'm just DETERMINED to do it. My dream birth is a natural relaxed water birth and you can't do a WB if you get an epi.. so there you go Determination is key, and of course proper support (I don't mean your friends, b/c chances are the majority will call you crazy for 'not getting an epidural!' and that's no good..) but I mean like a midwife or a doula or your hubby who will participate with you in the natural childbirth process. Most importantly you have to find out what works for you. Like me, I want my waterbirth if it kills me! For others, looking at a favorite object and focusing through contractions does the trick, or having their husband massage their body the whole time, whatever! Something will work for you.

MY HOME WATER BIRTH WAS AMAZING

www.momentsbyheather.com
June 10th, 2009, 09:54 PM
TurnAround
I truly applaud you ladies!

The reason I started thinking about going natural is that we had a mom laboring and she got her epi and the anesthesiologist went into far and we had to call a code blue and intubate her. We almost lost her but she pulled through.. Its stuff like that, that scares the complete crap out of me...

I know DB will be supportive in no matter what I decided to do..

And yes it is weird that I want to be an OB and have a NCB, I'm quite an odd person! LOL
June 10th, 2009, 10:09 PM
liveandlove0725's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think you're awesome. If you read Ina May's Guide to Natural Childbirth, you'll read a birth story where the mommy AND the daddy were both OBs. I think more and more OBs are going the natural route as they see all the adverse effects of intervention.

I'm excited for you and glad you posted here!
June 10th, 2009, 10:13 PM
TurnAround
Awe thanks!
So I asked DB if he would in fact support me if I decided to do a natural child birth. His response "What do you mean natural? Like out in the woods or something?" LOL and I explained it to him and why and he said of course I will support you in whatever decision you make. I'll be by your side every step of the way.
June 11th, 2009, 09:48 AM
^RaineDrop^'s Avatar Summer Raine is 1 YR OLD!
Send a message via AIM to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via MSN to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via Yahoo to ^RaineDrop^
Quote:
Originally Posted by &&his_mini&& View Post
Awe thanks!
So I asked DB if he would in fact support me if I decided to do a natural child birth. His response "What do you mean natural? Like out in the woods or something?" LOL and I explained it to him and why and he said of course I will support you in whatever decision you make. I'll be by your side every step of the way.
LMAO!!! That is the cutest response I could ever hear! Oh man..

MY HOME WATER BIRTH WAS AMAZING

www.momentsbyheather.com

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search