Big Babies

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 9th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Snow Mami
So I have been reading different boards and blogs and articles about birth and I see a lot of people saying that the either scheduled or ended up having a c-section because the baby was too big. This seems weird to me, I know that some babies may be too big to come out naturally but isnít it more to do with presentation than size? Iím a pretty small person (size 2, 5í4Ē) and my first DD was almost 8lbs. Yes I had some trouble pushing her out but that was because of her position. My mom delivered 8,9 and 10lb babies all vaginally.

My SIL ended up having 2 c-sections after being fully dilated and pushing because her boys had their faces up (instead of tucked into their chin) and would not move down past her pelvis (they were also both over 9lbs). The Dr never told her it was their size, just the way they were positioned.

How big does a baby have to be (or how small does a mom have to be) before itís the size and not the position that make vaginally delivery impossible?
June 9th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Super Mommy
I'm not sure, my mom only had one baby over 9 pounds and he was born in 25 minutes of labor! Both of mine were between 8 and 9. But I have a friend who had a 9 pound baby who was posterier and sunny side up vaginally! I also have a friend whose second baby was 11 pounds 6 ounces, born vaginally as well.
June 9th, 2009, 09:51 AM
liveandlove0725's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree, presentation seems to be more important in my research than size. It has more to do with the fact that the majority of women birthing in hospitals are confined to lying on their backs where the pelvis opens much better in other birthing positions. Those with planned c/s due to size are usually pressured into doing that from their doctors. It's really sad.

A woman birthed a 12lb 2 oz baby naturally at my birth center last year.
June 9th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Martina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
my last was 11lb 2oz, and I Had her at home, and thank you for posting over 12 pounder being born naturally, I am kinda joking that I probably could push out 13 pounder and that would be it (even if I break my tail bone LOL, better than c-section in my eyes but I am weird, and have fear of needles and surgeries LOL)

June 9th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
Well I just had a 10lb 8oz baby after my last OB said I'd never be able to have one bigger than my previous son who was 8lbs 11ozs... guess he was wrong!

Facebook
June 9th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Lacey.♥s.Lemons's Avatar Mommy March '05 & Feb '10
Send a message via MSN to Lacey.♥s.Lemons Send a message via Yahoo to Lacey.♥s.Lemons
My DS was 9lbs 10oz.. I pushed him out just fine.. in a matter of 15 minutes.

June 9th, 2009, 06:05 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
the big baby card is a favorite for sure. We have had a bunch of 9 plus lbers born from mommies on this board.

I wish I could find the website with tons of pictures of very tiny women that birthed at home completely naturally with a male midwife. I think in Mexico.
June 9th, 2009, 07:47 PM
rachna's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well both of mine were peanuts, one 5lbs 11oz, one 5lbs 12oz (the first 40 weeks the second 39 weeks) but they were hard enough to push out (they were posterior). I am a small person, and I imagine it has more to do with the woman, the size of the baby, and the position, more then just one thing. I have a friend who is small like me, and she delivered a 10lbs 4oz baby vaginally last summer (in a hospital too!)
June 9th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I really think size has little to do with whether the baby is "too big". Seems to be the biggest contributors to a baby having difficulty being born are positioning of the baby AND the mother. The majority of times I've heard it are from women who pushed flat on their backs, with makes the pelvis smaller, so of course its more difficult.

The worst are the ones where the doctor convinces the woman BEFORE labor that baby will be too big and just schedules a c/s or early induction, and then convinces the woman that her 7lb baby was just too big and she walks away believing she'll never be able to push out a baby bigger than that.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search