Are you "Attached"?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Are you "Attached"?
Yes! AP all the way, and loving it! 11 28.95%
Mostly...but with my own little twist! 16 42.11%
Partially. I have my own ideas though 10 26.32%
No. It's just not for us. 1 2.63%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 9th, 2009, 05:00 PM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
Inspired by my curiosity, I decided to post this to see how many of the NBing momma's consider themselves to be an "Attached Parent" (I've seen quite a few on here lately!).
You don't have to participate if you don't want to...just thought it might be fun!

June 9th, 2009, 05:03 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I guess I would be We cosleep, I wear my baby, b-feed, do not let her CIO, etc.

June 9th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yep same here, I'm pretty AP.

June 9th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Before I really knew what it meant, I was skeptical...But not anymore! I found that it came quite naturally, and I was doing it without even knowing it! I EBF, close -sleep (most of the time, but occasionally co-sleep), wear my baby, do not let him CIO, CD, etc...I love it!

Last edited by GranolaMamaOf3; June 9th, 2009 at 05:39 PM.
June 9th, 2009, 05:42 PM
cheezpoofs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I voted "mostly". We did co-sleep for the first two months or so and still do after Daddy leaves for work in the mornings, I exclusively breastfeed and never let him cry it out. I do own a Moby, but Lucius doesn't seem to like it a whole lot and it makes me really hot, so we rarely use it. I do have him right next to me or in my arms almost every waking moment, though. We plan on getting a Mei Tai to wear him when he is a bit older. I do not cloth-diaper, though I would like to. I would definitely be interested in changing over if we had a bit more spare money (the start-up costs for cloth diapers is pretty high). We do child-led parenting all the way: he sleeps when he's tired and is allowed to be awake when he's not, he eats whenever hungry and I don't put a schedule on it and he's pretty much the boss. Attachment Parenting style just makes the most sense to Daddy and me and comes the most natural.

Last edited by cheezpoofs; June 9th, 2009 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Added Something
June 9th, 2009, 06:05 PM
tygrss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm pretty AP. We co-slept for over a year, we're still BFing, we cloth-diaper, we wore DS until he stopped liking it (he's a busy body!), no CIO.

June 9th, 2009, 06:15 PM
.adi.
I do AP things but don't consider myself AP.

Like I cloth diaper because my son is allergic to sposies. I cosleep becuase i have terrible insomnia and don't sleep if I have to get up 50 times a night. I wear by baby because it seems more natural to just have them right there with you rather than int he carseat. I extended breastfed because I was too lazy to wean marcus
June 9th, 2009, 06:37 PM
rachna's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I dont like the categories or distinctions. and dont really think "things" make you one way or the other, I think its more of a parenting philosophy then whether or not you cosleep or breastfeed. That being said my philosophy definitely falls along AP lines.
June 9th, 2009, 07:07 PM
niknok's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to niknok
For sure more AP than anything. BF, CD, no CIO.

Come visit my blog!
June 9th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
mostly AP. No co-sleeping for me, but on a rare occassion. Extended nurse but not pass 2 years (or roughly for 2 years, I won't cold turkey the day the kid turns 2 or anything lol) no CIO, baby wear, cloth diaper (though it was for severe diaper rash with my first not choice, 2nd baby is by choice though) I don't spank

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

June 9th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
somewhere in the middle. I do a lot of "AP" things, but also some stuff that isn't. I can't be all or nothing

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

June 9th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Martina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
we always did AP things before we even knew what it was called.

June 9th, 2009, 09:53 PM
LindensMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
In the middle.

I Bf and formula feed.
I use sposie's and cloth.
I co sleep every night all night.
I don't CIO
I won't spank
I wear Linden but I also always use the stroller.

June 10th, 2009, 04:59 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Cheezepoofs-- check out diaperswappers, i have gotten some STEALS on their on used cloth diapers. I have been using sposies since my DD is so tiny, but ordered some Nana Bottoms and hopefully they will be here by the end of the week and fit her I have two drawers of cloth diapers just sitting there, sigh

June 10th, 2009, 06:37 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I said all the way.... But only because that's what feels natural not because it's AP. I am currently working on getting Cadie to sleep without nursing and that is requiring a little crying. It sucks. I only leave her for a few minutes at a time to cry if she is playing instead of lying down, I get up and leave the room. Once she is ok with going to sleep without nursing (we are almost there!) then I want her to be able to fall asleep on her own. This always having to lay down with her is starting to kill me. I fall asleep so easily and it's just messing me all up. She's 17 months old now so it's time.

So I should have said a different answer I guess.

If any BTDT moms have any tips for me I would appreciate it! I can't just leave her in her crib as we co sleep, so she can get up and fool around.
June 10th, 2009, 06:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachna View Post
I dont like the categories or distinctions. and dont really think "things" make you one way or the other, I think its more of a parenting philosophy then whether or not you cosleep or breastfeed. That being said my philosophy definitely falls along AP lines.
I agree...It's not necessarily the things you do that make you AP, but rather it's a mental state of being...It's the concept of bonding with your baby/child in a way that you are in tune with their needs, so that you can better be able to meet those personal need... Every child is different! If you where to do something just because that's what the "book" says to do, but it's not what your baby needed, then you would be defeating your purpose!
(Oh, and just for the record, I've never read a book on the subject)

Last edited by GranolaMamaOf3; June 10th, 2009 at 08:30 AM.
June 10th, 2009, 06:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Snow Mami
I didn't vote because I really don't know. I think we fall somewhere in the middle with me being more AP and DH having some traditional parenting ideas for older children. We cosleep, breastfeed until the baby selfweans, no CIO (though I will admit I did try it once and that confirmd it wasn't for us), babywear.
June 10th, 2009, 08:00 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We are in the middle. Ive found that Im more AP when they are little but when they get older I like to let them go. LOL. My children are very independent and I like it that way. Emme is already starting to do things on her own. People cant believe how young she is because she does most things herself (that she is capable of doing). I dont really see how you can be AP with an older kid though.... I mean all the "AP things" are mostly for babies.

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
June 10th, 2009, 10:02 AM
^RaineDrop^'s Avatar Summer Raine is 1 YR OLD!
Send a message via AIM to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via MSN to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via Yahoo to ^RaineDrop^
We co-sleep for the first month and still let her wake up for food (meaning, we don't tell her no and just let her cry) but that's about it. I don't consider myself 'attached' at all, and quite frankly the term frightens me lol..

MY HOME WATER BIRTH WAS AMAZING

www.momentsbyheather.com
June 10th, 2009, 12:24 PM
silverlife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm somewhere in the middle. I'm way more attachment parenting than my friends are, but I'm way more traditional than a lot of AP parents.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search