Hello. Question??

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 9th, 2009, 07:07 PM
.adi.
My SIL is the size of a 10 or 12 yo and pushed a baby a baby out just fine. The small frame stuff is a load of crap.
June 9th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
such bull. You can't judge how labor/delivery will go based solely on the mother's stature! it's impossible and honestly it sounds like your OB is setting you up for "suggestions" like early induction or planned c-section.

FYI, my mom is 5'2" and was 117lbs when she DELIVERED me. She had five natural births with no complications.

You can do it! But I would suggest at least getting a doula or switching doctors....

I definitely suggest a NCB class or at least some reading and practicing on your own. It's very important to go into ANY labor (whether you plan a NCB or not) with as many "tools" in your arsenal as possible because you just don't know what will work for you until you're in the situation.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

Last edited by Kelllilee; June 9th, 2009 at 07:18 PM.
June 9th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
I have not a had a natural yet, but I am fairly small. 5'2" 115 not pregnant and I birthed vaginally at almost 43 weeks. It was not natural though. I had an epi with her.

My ex SIL, is TINY, by tiny I mean one of those girls you think you will break if you hold her hands!!! She is 5'4 or 5'5 can't remember but weighs 100 pounds!! Not cuz she don't eat! When she was pregnant with her 4th kid, she was up to 125 and looked heavy for her!! She birthed all 4 kids naturally. Though she didn't want to. lol Everytime she got the hospital it was too late! lol

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

June 9th, 2009, 07:51 PM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi Ms. Crystal!! Good to see you over here! Anyway, I'm so glad you are questioning what your ob told you. I remember you mentioning this on our DDC, but I didn't want to say anything. I am 5'3" and weighed 103 when I got pregnant with my son and he weighed 8 lbs. 2 oz. when he was born! You can totally do it!! I had an epidural and all of that the first time around, but this time will be going all natural at home.

I agree with all of the other ladies suggestions and would like to add you should read Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. It's filled with loads of info and was really empowering for me. Good luck!!!
June 9th, 2009, 08:58 PM
liveandlove0725's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi Crystal!! My name is Chrystal LOL This is my first too and I'm due late Sept. I'm so happy you are here. I agree the "small frame" is crap and you should definitely get a different OB or better yet, look for a birth center in your city. I absolutely LOVE my birth center and the midwives there!! I start my hypno-birthing class next month and am so excited, you should look into hypno-babies or hypno-birthing for sure.

Some links for you:

This recent thread is pretty much a crash course in NCB:

http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f2...-decision.html (Last Minute Decision...)

And this book thread is good too:

http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f2...ncb-books.html (NCB books?)

I hope this helps!!! And WELCOME!
June 9th, 2009, 09:56 PM
Martina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would be switching doctors fast LOL

My sil is barely 5' and just had her VBAC, so it is possible to do it!!

June 10th, 2009, 01:16 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I haven't met many OB's who are NCB friendly anyway....my old OB told me if I wanted a NCB to transfer my care to a midwife pronto and it was truly the best advice I have been given.

I am currently taking Bradley Method childbirth classes and am AMAZINGLY impressed. Tonight was my 2nd class and I already feel more positive that I can do this. I HIGHYL recommend finding a bradley class in your area. if you google Bradley Method it will take you to the website, then you just follow the steps to locate an instructor in your area.

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
June 10th, 2009, 01:21 AM
*PurpleMidnight*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Im 5'5" (was 118lbs pre preg) and delivered a 9lb baby naturally (without any meds etc) as well as 2 other smaller babies as well naturally.

You can do it

June 10th, 2009, 04:06 AM
tygrss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The small frame stuff is a load of bull. It's very rare for a woman not to be able to push a baby out if she is given time and the proper conditions to do so. Unless you have an extremely small/deformed pelvis (i.e. from rickets) the overwhelming majority of women can do it.
I would be switching care pronto. With my last pregnancy I started out with an OB. She swore that she was pro-natural, but she would make little comments and then I found out that "natural" to her just meant that the baby was born vaginally. That's it. I switched to midwives at a birth center at 37 weeks.

I would highly suggest a childbirth class to help out. Bradley, Hypnobirthing and Birthing from Within are all popular. I took one from a doula at my birth center (it was her own "curriculum") and read the Bradley Books, Hypnobirthing and Birthing From Within.

GL.

June 10th, 2009, 06:27 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I too would change to a midwife! Your OB doesn't support NCB plain and simple. I switched at 18 weeks and it was a good thing I did. Midwives give such more personalized care.

I think classes are important especially for a first time mom. If you are going to trust birth and your body, it really helps to know what to expect and how to cope. NCB specific classes are better if you can find one. I hired a doula and she was what got me through it!

Mental preparation is the biggest part of it, along with some physical. Staying active and keeping your joints loose and open. Walking a lot and doing kegals. If you can swim that is great too, easier this time of year. Cardio will get you prepped for the labor.

The Bradley method book along with Ina May's Guide to Childbirth are wonderful. The Bradley book has a great chapter for husbands. He needs to know what to expect too. Good luck!!
June 10th, 2009, 06:50 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Snow Mami
I agree with all the advice posted. I would switch Drs asap!

I am 5'4" and 120lbs pre-preggo. I also have very narrow hips. My DD was 7lbs 14 oz and I had no drugs and no tearing or episiotomy.
June 10th, 2009, 06:58 AM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
Welcome! I agree with what all the other ladies have said! You can do this!

June 10th, 2009, 08:32 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am positive you could achieve a natural birth if you set yourself up well. But I'd also be willing to bet that if you stay with your OB you will have a high intervention induction or cesarean.

I am 5'1, very small framed, and 103 lbs at 11 weeks pregnant. My mom is even smaller then me, and she did it! you certainly can to.

June 10th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Stuff like that just leaves me scratching my head. Why do doctors say that, obviously a scheduled c-section is easier for thier scheduled, but really?? Since when is birth about the doctor and not about the mom and baby anymore.

Anyway, I can't say anything more than to reiterate what everyone else has said. You are on the right track and questioning your doctor was the first step!

June 10th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Double post

June 10th, 2009, 12:17 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
the best way to minimize or elliminate tearing is slow gentle crowning in a position where you are not sitting directly on your perineum. Panting rather then pushing your baby out really helps. Hot compresses, perineal massage, care provider support and waterbirths can also have a tremendous benefit.

June 10th, 2009, 04:54 PM
WilNat's Avatar Veteran
Welcome! I agree with the other ladies, I'm 4'11 and I was able to birth a 7 lbs. 7oz. baby sunnyside up. I would definatly be changing doctors. You want someone who is on the same page as you when the big day comes. You don't want to be fighting for your rights on top of labour!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search