Excellent article "The Lie of EDDs"!!!

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 10th, 2009, 05:08 PM
The Purple Butterfly's Avatar Stacey
The Lie of the EDD: Why Your Due Date Isn't when You Think - Associated Content
Oliver (5) VBA2C, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5" ~ Grayson (10/16/13) 2VBA2C, 9lbs 12oz, 22"
born sleeping at 39w pg; Protein C def, FVL, PAI-1 , & MTHFR
Lavender Kate (5/20/14) 2.5oz, 6" Lost at 16w

June 10th, 2009, 05:20 PM
n/a
I don't freakin get it. So are we supposed to still base this stuff on the bible only we should use the correct math for lunar months? Am I slow?
June 10th, 2009, 05:25 PM
The point of the article is to show you that you shouldn't put everything into your EDD. Many drs will induce before the EDD which can be off anyway.

June 10th, 2009, 05:29 PM
n/a
My EDD based on my O date is today. Based on my doctor's which used LMP it is tomorrow. My doula tells me how first timers go to 41 weeks something usually, I am just wanting this baby out! I figured that if my "due date" is actually something else based on a new calculation, I wouldn't feel so grumpy going over my due dates. Everyone says it is usually over 40 weeks, but it feels like he should be done. Ugh.

I liked the article though! I was just also hoping it said somewhere how to calculate a new EDD. Sorry if I came across as grumpy, I am just so over being pregnant today.
June 10th, 2009, 05:30 PM
rachna's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it is definitely true in my case, that due dates are not entirely accurate...I had 3 due dates with both my boys due to how they were measuring etc, my cycles are really long, and with my first my due date was pushed far enough ahead that it would have been impossible for me to get my BFP the day I got my BFP. I think that is one reason I like going natural, so they come out when they are ready. I also love my practice, they wont even say the word induction until you reach 40 weeks, unless there is a medical reason.

My babies were both born on the small side, (5lbs 11 oz and 5lbs 12oz although my husband and I are small. and were small babies and everyone in our families tended to be smaller babies), so I have to wonder if they were actually born earlier rather then one 3 days after his (3rd) due date and my second born 5 days before his first due date.
June 10th, 2009, 05:48 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
My midwife was glad I knew my ovulation date and the date we last BDed, because she was able to get a more accurate EDD for me. Since Tanith came 2 1/2 wks early, we haven't even discussed what will happen if I go over, but I'm guessing she won't even talk about doing anything until at least 42 wks. I think Carrie was the one whose mother's OB always gave her a Due Month. I think I like that better!

June 10th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachna View Post
I think it is definitely true in my case, that due dates are not entirely accurate...I had 3 due dates with both my boys due to how they were measuring etc, my cycles are really long, and with my first my due date was pushed far enough ahead that it would have been impossible for me to get my BFP the day I got my BFP. I think that is one reason I like going natural, so they come out when they are ready. I also love my practice, they wont even say the word induction until you reach 40 weeks, unless there is a medical reason.

My babies were both born on the small side, (5lbs 11 oz and 5lbs 12oz although my husband and I are small. and were small babies and everyone in our families tended to be smaller babies), so I have to wonder if they were actually born earlier rather then one 3 days after his (3rd) due date and my second born 5 days before his first due date.
Good point! My dr won't talk induction until 41-42w. He certainly isn't afraid of the "big baby" thing either.... which is rather encouraging! It makes no sense unless there is a REAL medical reason why to induce any sooner than even 40w. I tend to follow March of Dimes (and even do the walks) and they agree with this as well. Too many babies in NICU these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixieQueen View Post
My midwife was glad I knew my ovulation date and the date we last BDed, because she was able to get a more accurate EDD for me. Since Tanith came 2 1/2 wks early, we haven't even discussed what will happen if I go over, but I'm guessing she won't even talk about doing anything until at least 42 wks. I think Carrie was the one whose mother's OB always gave her a Due Month. I think I like that better!
I had an IUI so I can even give you an ovulation hour! All of my babies were early and perfectly healthy..... they certainly do come when they are ready.

June 10th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
yeah, my midwife gave me a "due range" lol. I also was charting and know exactly when we conceived (and my u/s last week confirmed my dates)

seems like too many women these days think of a due date as a deadline, not an average gestation date... sigh...

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

June 10th, 2009, 07:38 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
Ohhh great article!! I think I am going to post this in my playroom pregnancy subforum. Thanks for posting it.
June 10th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Sunny in CO's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for sharing! Very interesting. I had never thought about how they had originally come up with the whole 40 week business.

June 10th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
My midwife said, "sometime in May" and she was right he came in May, barely lol! But I'm so greatful to her for that, I don't think any OB would have let me go 42 weeks 3 days! Glad I did too, everything worked out perfectly!

Facebook
June 10th, 2009, 09:46 PM
^RaineDrop^'s Avatar Summer Raine is 1 YR OLD!
Send a message via AIM to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via MSN to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via Yahoo to ^RaineDrop^
I'm reading Pushed right now and I love how someone in the book was quoted to call it something like, "more like a due MONTH" rather than a due DATE. Too true, if only women were given a chance to gestate properly.

MY HOME WATER BIRTH WAS AMAZING

www.momentsbyheather.com
June 10th, 2009, 10:13 PM
liveandlove0725's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This is one thing that bugs me about my birth center. The use LMP for EDD calculation when I've told them a few times that I know when I Oed/conceived. It sooo bugs me!
June 10th, 2009, 11:48 PM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
I certainly am one that KNOWS that I have a shorter luteal phase. I am positive I know when I Oed and therefore was very close to correct according to U/S sizing. I am expecting him anytime in the last half of July and possibly into August and will be perfectly content with him coming when he is ready. According to the calculations in this article though my due date is the 23rd which is the day I have been feeling like he will make his appearance. I can't wait to see if I am right!

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

June 11th, 2009, 03:19 AM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just LOVED the part at the bottom about ACOG even saying you should never mess with a pregnancy or consider it overdue until 42 weeks. Their own governing body says this and they still induce early as a general rule.

June 11th, 2009, 05:53 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
My EDD based on my O date is today. Based on my doctor's which used LMP it is tomorrow. My doula tells me how first timers go to 41 weeks something usually, I am just wanting this baby out! I figured that if my "due date" is actually something else based on a new calculation, I wouldn't feel so grumpy going over my due dates. Everyone says it is usually over 40 weeks, but it feels like he should be done. Ugh.

I liked the article though! I was just also hoping it said somewhere how to calculate a new EDD. Sorry if I came across as grumpy, I am just so over being pregnant today.
It's okay, I was there just about 6 months ago. My first daughter came on her due date based off of ovulation. I was a bit grumpy when my due date came and went with my second. She ended up coming at 40 weeks 3 days. It should be soon for you!
June 11th, 2009, 06:31 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Snow Mami
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8ermaiden View Post
I just LOVED the part at the bottom about ACOG even saying you should never mess with a pregnancy or consider it overdue until 42 weeks. Their own governing body says this and they still induce early as a general rule.
I know right? Very few OBs will lets you go over 41 weeks.

With my first I told people I had a "due month" which was two weeks before and after Jan 27.
June 11th, 2009, 07:30 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8ermaiden View Post
exactly!!!

My birth center did go off my LMP which was a little irksome because I know I ovulated late. However, it was never a concern because Zoe came 3 weeks before her due date, which in reality was even earlier since I ovulated about 4 days late

June 11th, 2009, 11:39 AM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My m/w says she has "rules" to follow about when she can do a homebirth for me....but then told me that she will use what ever DUE date exquation to get what we want! LOL So if i am a little "early" we use LMP so I'm not, If i'm "late" we use my u/s date so i'm not. It buys me about 5 days on both sides.
June 11th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yeah, my midwife can only attend between 36 and 42 weeks. Due to the vast difference between my LMP and charting due date, I have quite a bit of leeway.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search