TTC while nursing

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 16th, 2009, 06:53 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
Since I got my period 4 months PP and have a history of being very fertile, I really didn't think that nursing was going to get in the way of TTC. Now I am starting to consider that aspect since I got AF the other day. I know some of you ladies got pregnant while nursing, how long did it take? Did you do anything special?

We nurse a lot less than we used to with hardly any night nursing at all. All I did last month was start reading about charting a little and I checked cervical position and mucus. I thought we did a good job and am quite shocked that it didn't happen right away. I now know about the short nuchal phase so I'm wondering about that.

*sigh*
June 16th, 2009, 07:59 AM
noworries
Cheryl,
I wasn't breastfeeding while TTC but it still took me longer than I would have liked. When we got pregnant with Eva it was on the first try so we kind of expected that the second time around too. It took us 3 cycles the second time....which is still short compared to a lot of people but when you are expecting it to happen sooner it can really throw you off.
June 16th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Martina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was nursing 24/7 when I got pregnant with my second, and bit less nursing when I got pregnant with third. But Igot my period like a month after the birth with each kid no matter how much I nursed (I exclusively breastfed all kids) so I think it totally depends on each person. We were not TTC, we were careful with occasional oops (well each time with only one oops that ended up in pregnancies LOL)

June 16th, 2009, 09:19 AM
Platinum Supermommy
If you are ovulating and getting a period regularly, nursing will not affect if you can get pregnant or not. Abby was nursing probably 3-4 times a day when I got pregnant with Anna. We got pregnant the first cycle, but that was just the luck of the draw. Don't be discouraged, it will happen!

June 16th, 2009, 01:11 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
I didn't even start ovulating until Tanith cut out night nursing completely, and then I am pretty sure my first cycle was anovulatory. It took us 5 mos to get pg, which was much quicker for us than Tanith (9 mo).

June 16th, 2009, 02:15 PM
.adi.
I got AF and had 3 periods before i ovulated. i got pregnant while nursing on period 4
June 16th, 2009, 02:29 PM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Good luck! I hope it happens soon!

June 16th, 2009, 08:27 PM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
With us it was a bit different. I was nursing Leila still on demand so probably more than 10 times a day and through the night when we conceived. However we were NOT trying and it was one of the few random times when we DTD unprotected lol. I got PP AF after 4 months and we conceived when Leila wasn't quite 11 months old.

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

June 17th, 2009, 04:08 AM
tygrss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I got my first PP AF when DS was about 15 months. We didn't try to get pregnant until this last cycle and had no problem. The thing is, I was charting for a couple of months, so I saw that I had the typical short luteal phase seen with breastfeeding. I started taking B6 to lengthen the LP(I took this when TTC to concieve DS too because I have a shortish LP to begin with--it was just even shorter with BF). Seems to have worked well.

June 17th, 2009, 07:01 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
Even if you're ovulating and having regular cycles, I still completely agree that it affects your ability to get pregnant. If you are ovulating, then your LP is going to be shorter that it should. I think it's one of nature's way of making sure we take care of our young. I do believe we can overcome it, though.

My 1st PPAF came at 11 month. Donovan night weaned at 10 months. I really think there's a connection there. I had my longest LP last cycle, it was 12 days. I have had 5 cycles now, and it started at a 6 day LP. Every one seems to get longer.

Now, I'm not doing anything to help it along. But I do believe that the B6 will help. That's what finally did it for us when we were TTC#1. I had an 8 day LP for about 14 months.
Kyron, Porter, Donovan, Jocelyn, & expecting #5

June 17th, 2009, 07:19 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Charting or even using OPKs to see whyn you ovulate and how long your luteal phase is can help.

Also- even if you have great fertility it can take a couple of months.... I think at best you have 20-30% chances every month of getting pregnant, so I certainly wouldn't worry that you might have something wrong. you're just waiting for the exact right sperm and egg to come together

June 17th, 2009, 07:59 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
With Cadie we didn't even try a full cycle, it was one encounter! Crazy. And we were not fully ready, so it was quite a shock.

I'm not fooling around this month. I got OPK and test strips last night online and also these TTC vitamins. I'm not going to temp yet but I do pay close attention to things.

I am very against having another winter baby especially now that we are more north. Being stuck inside PP will not be good for me at all. So this needs to happen this sumner or at the latest fall! I have a very specific plan!!
June 17th, 2009, 10:13 AM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hope it happens soon for you!
June 17th, 2009, 12:44 PM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When I got pregnant with Lochlann I hadn't even gotten my first pp AF--it was very unexpected. Liam was 10 1/2 months old and just night weaned. I got my first pp AF when Lochlann was 13 1/2 months and still nothing. Even though I ovulate every cycle (and ovulated before that first AF) my luteal phase has been the problem. It started out at 6 days, then 9 days, then 10 days, and now it hovers between 11 and 12 days but usually with spotting starting the couple days prior. I too was taken aback as to the problems we are having this time because I didn't have any issues last time like this. This is month 9 for us and my first cycle with the B6 so I'm hoping this will do the trick!!!

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search