Preparing for Labor - What to Eat in the Delievery Room?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 16th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Mystic_Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Mystic_Mommy
As my third Trimester draws closer I've been thinking a lot about preparation on what to bring with me when the time comes to head to the Birth Center. One of my main concerns at the moment is what I should bring to eat, should I actually want to consume anything. If labor is long I want to make sure I have the energy and proper nutrients to support my body throughout the marathon of giving birth. So I have two Questions...

#1: What foods and drink would you recommend to eat during labor?
So far I've gathered a couple of ideas and I'd be curious to know from those who've experienced natural childbirth and ate throughout labor what worked for them. I was thinking Cereal, Toast, Electrolyte drinks such as Gatorade, Water of course, Yogurt, Granola bar, and bananas.

#2: After You birth the baby and are resting in bed, what do you eat to get your strength and nutrients back?
Since my midwives want me to eat and drink something before leaving the birth center I want to make sure I bring something that is easy to eat and can help replenish the body. Is it a good idea to bring vitamins? With blood loss I want to make sure my Iron doesn't get to low so maybe something high in Protein?

Any suggestions are great, thanks in advance!

June 16th, 2009, 11:09 AM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had planned to eat but found that once I went into labor I had no desire at all. So I don't know what to say as far as what worked for me practically, but I read about the examples you have listed.

After I had my daughter (I had to have an emergency c-section so it was even longer before I could eat) I was STARVING. I ate everything they put in front of me. I even craved veggies which I had a hard time eating during the pregnancy. If you're planning on something, what about soup? The fluid will be good for you and can include meats, veggies, starches.

I do remember someone telling me though that as soon as she had her child, she HAD to have a bean burrito from Taco Bell. I think don't worry about it too much now, just be sure to have someone who's job it is to get you food.

June 16th, 2009, 12:27 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I had a whole arsenal of food and drink with me, but after two bottles of castor oil that the midwives had me take, I had little appetite. I did eat two milkshakes, it was the only food I could even think about stomaching. I had some gatorade, but I was not getting enough calories and around 20 hours in, I was really shaky. I had brought juice, gatorade, water, cookies, PB&J.

June 16th, 2009, 12:58 PM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
I didn't eat anything while in labor (or rather that whole day!) I wasn't hungry and the thought of food made me sick to my stomach...I did try to drink a milkshake, but didn't get very far with it...As far as something for after the birth, I was in the Hospital, so I just ate what they brought me (Soup, sandwich, fruit, etc...I never know hospital food could taste so good ). I agree that you should have someone available to get/bring you something after thing's have calmed down a bit. Weather that be something home-made, or a run to a fast food restaurant...It's hard to tell what you'll be craving/needing, but you will probably be ready for a hot meal!

Last edited by GranolaMamaOf3; June 16th, 2009 at 01:03 PM.
June 16th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Martina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I ate yogurt and bananas during labour and drank these organic natural juices (no idea what they are called, my m/w and doula made me get them LOL) and after the birth I had sandwich (I think that one was just some kind of meat sandwich?) and almond butter sandwich (cant remember after all births though, these are just 2 I remember)

June 16th, 2009, 05:23 PM
ninja_mommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You may have no desire to eat while in labor. At one of my classes the teacher said that your stomach kind of shuts down. She did mention though if eat something you want to keep it light. Something maybe like soup or a smoothie. Quick in, quick out KWIM? Afterwards, I'm not sure about that though.

Oct '11 June '12
June 16th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Thanks girls! When I was in labor with Rayne I had no desire for food, but things happened so quickly and there was never any breaks between the contractions that it doesn't surprise me. Although I doubt I'll want to eat during labor this time around, I want to at least come prepared. If for any reason I do feel hungry and want to consume something, I'd like to have something on hand that would provide energy and be easy to digest. All your feedback is great! Thank you so much for taking the time to reply

June 17th, 2009, 04:39 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I was very hungry during my labor, I just did not have the appetite for anything! LOL. I did not really eat all day before my water broke (should have been a sign there that something was "off") so come 20+ hours, I was STARVING. I think smoothies, ensure, etc, would be a good choice. Liquid nutrition!

June 17th, 2009, 06:06 AM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
My DH went to the store and brought me string cheese, yogurt, popsicles, juices and water. Juice pops might be a good option. They had a hard time getting me drink water even, but that was mostly because I was so tired. I'd woken up at almost 4 in labor after going to bed at midnight. After wards they want you to have something fairly high protein because your muscles have worked so hard and you'll be losing blood. I made DH go get me a Quizno's turkey sub. I am having a homebirth this time, so I will probably premake stew or chili, then throw it in the slow cooker to heat when I decide "it's time".

June 17th, 2009, 07:22 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
durring labor it is good to have bite sized things so you can have just a few. Nuts, rasins, dried fruit and berries are good. some people find they are able to eat heavier things, some aren't.

after labor eat some good protien for sure, and some healthy carbs. Breakfast foods are particularly good to eat, and popular too!

June 18th, 2009, 06:56 AM
rachna's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I didnt want to eat anything during labor, even when I was at home laboring I wanted nothing to do with food. Which meant after they were born I was ravenous of course!!
June 18th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Katy Moore's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I still had a completly normal appetite for the first part of labor, but I still didn't eat a ton. In the morning I had yogurt, and later at the hospital I had crackers and peanut butter, and LOTS of fruit juice! I also packed along some gatorade. Definitely don't eat anything too heavy, you don't want to be sick to your stomach, too!

Check out my boutique! Baby Bottom Boutique

June 18th, 2009, 12:28 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I remember when Nikki first came to this board, she was talking about a patient she had who ate a hot dog while in labor, then had some of it get stuck in her lungs after she threw it up -I think that was the story- the point is she ate a hot dog- and I almost threw up just reading it.

a HOT DOG while in labor? Seriously?

I had John go get fruit, and I ate none of it. After the birth I had cold french toast that my doula fed me (aww) and the hugest cup of OJ. I had such had heartburn the whole 3rd trimester anything like OJ wasn't even an option.
June 18th, 2009, 12:32 PM
mommabirdof4
I am thinking of bring some Peanut butter and crackers with me for after labor....Also some granola bars. The hospital did bring me something after my son was born but it wasn't worth eating at all. During labor I doubt I will want to eat...my stomach is pretty touchy these days.
June 18th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think I had a few cheese sticks, some trail mix and juice. I ate some of the same things after labor and my family ran out and got KFC, so I had some bites of that too, but just potatoes and biscuit since it's bland (I was not in the mood for greasy food). We did stop at Wendy's on the way home though, I was really starving by then!

Last edited by andi2284; June 18th, 2009 at 05:49 PM.
June 18th, 2009, 09:09 PM
AshleyMarie's Avatar Proud Mommy of Two
Send a message via MSN to AshleyMarie
We'll make sure that you are well taken care of when baby time comes Tiff!!

June 22nd, 2009, 07:55 AM
Thanks everyone!! It's so great to hear your own experiences I definitely feel a bit more prepared

June 22nd, 2009, 11:02 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Snow Mami
Ohh great question! I still have a long time to go but this is something I need to start thinking about. I have problems with easting and anxiety. I get anxious when I get hungry and then I can’t eat (get sick to my stomach, have panic attacks, etc). I think some of my post-partum anxiety and depression could have been avoided if I ate during labour and ate something high calorie/protein immediately after.
June 22nd, 2009, 12:26 PM
LindensMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I delivered at the hospital and they gave me lunch and dinner i cant remember what it was but i was in no mood to eat. i tried to eat some tho to keep strength.

i had linden at 2 in the morning, later that morning i ate 3 trays of food because i was soo hungry. lol

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search