Signs on hospital room door??

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 17th, 2009, 02:18 PM
mommabirdof4
I am having a hospital birth...I have a birth plan and a doula.

My question is has anyone put signs on the door before???

I was thinking of putting one up that says something about ALL Vistors please check in with the nurses Station and wait in the waiting room. Then letting my nurse know that I would like to be notified if there is a visiter and then we can chose if we would like them in the room at that time.

Also one that says please do not ask about my pain level or offer me pain medication of anykind.

What do you guys think???????????????
June 17th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
I don't see why not. I men they do it for breastfeeding and such. I would just make sure hopsitla policies will let you.

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

June 17th, 2009, 02:40 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
Are you really worried about unwanted visitors? I thought they really check those kinds of things now and don't just let anyone wander around maternity wards without asking. I only stayed one overnight and had my inlaws visit so I guess I don't really know.
June 17th, 2009, 02:41 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
tbh I don't think that would go over very well.... You can tell the charge nurse that all visitors should be sent to the waiting room and you want asked if they can come in, and your nurse will be the one who needs to know you plan to go med free. I just think signs sound funny and maybe even a little rude to the nurses.

June 17th, 2009, 03:01 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
We did have a sign about visitors on our door. I was in the maternity ward, not L&D, I was a birth center transfer. Having a doula with you will be better than any sign.

June 17th, 2009, 03:02 PM
mommabirdof4
I am worried about my mother............I have it in my Birth Plan that I do not want her in the room but that she is welcome to wait in the waiting room until after the birth...honestly I don't plan on calling her until after the baby is born...but she may hear about it from my brother or my dad.....

At the hospital I am giving birth at they don't have vistors passes or visiting hours or anything vistors just come and go. L&D is set up as one big circle....so depending on which entrance you go into you pass by the rooms before you get to the Nurses station. It is a very small hospital with mainly just an ER and L&D department.
June 17th, 2009, 03:06 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
prior to my birth, my doula asked me "who do you want there and who do you not want there, so I can be the gate keeper." If you do not want your mother in the room, she won't be in the room. This is your birth and set the rules before hand so your support team can ensure you have the birth you want.

June 17th, 2009, 03:06 PM
wow.. most have pretty good security b/c babies are so precious. It is a bummer that yours isn't like that.

How would she know which room you are in? Can you request that your room number not be given out to anyone?

June 17th, 2009, 03:09 PM
mommabirdof4
They have the security arm band that the babies wear...or I should say ankle bands...so they know where the babies are plus it is 100% rooming in.
If a baby gets close to one of the doors to the outside an alarm goes off.

Well, If she talked to a family member....that is what I am worried about.
June 17th, 2009, 03:17 PM
mommabirdof4
Ya my Doula knows that I do not want her there......

My Mother is not of a right mind...is that a nice way of saying she is crazy yes....I only want my DH, Our Son, and my Doula there. Also I want my dad there also if he is able to with work and stuff....so that is where the big problem lies...she is going to go Psycho that he is able to be in the room and she isn't. Also she told me that my step-father(who I don't like and really do not know) is going to be taking off work to be there...ummm NO he is not!!!!!!!!!

Also she found out that in an emergency the plan is that my dad will take our son because they have a relationship with him and I trust him 100% with my child. I know that he will co-sleep with him and that he will not parent in a way I wouldn't aprove of. She told me and my dad at my son's 1st b-day party that he can just come over to her house because she just bought a new crib matress and things...and that she lives way closer to the hospital...I just walked away because I was so mad.
June 17th, 2009, 03:39 PM
ugh! sorry she is being so stressful to you, that stinks. Can you have your dad not tell her?

June 25th, 2009, 07:46 PM
littlestinkers
I would not tell the people you think might tell her and just tell your dad not to tell her...
June 26th, 2009, 07:07 AM
noworries
If it's in your birth plan and your doula knows I think that would be enough but I would also specifically talk to your nurse and make sure that they are aware at the nurse's station also.
I had a sign on my door that said "Hypnobirthing mama" or something like that to give any nurses or other people that weren't my normal people an idea that I wanted quiet and no mention of pain or meds (they are very familiar with hypnobirthing at the hospital I birthed at).
June 26th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Del4's Avatar Super Mommy
Yeah, our hospital allowed anyone to just come in. It was kind of annoying. I was looking like crap and my FIL just walked in, then so did one of my husband's bosses! lol

I would make it very clear who can and cannot come in. And I would probably even go as far as not telling anyone else who may tell her because even if she's not allowed in the room, she may still cause drama which is not good for you, either. GL!

June 27th, 2009, 12:37 PM
mommy1980's Avatar Super Mommy
Does your hospital have a visitor restriction policy. I know at my hospital we do. You set it up with security so that no one will know you are there and come visit you without your permission. You can add as many people as you want along with giving descriptions of that person. If they call or come in and ask at the information desk they will be told that you basically are not there.

Arissa born August 28, 2009 at 1050 am

7lbs. 20 1/4 inches

June 27th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Ive heard of women putting signs on their doors for hypnobirthing or hypnobabies. I think its actually in the hypnobirthing book... Anyways if you feel like anyone may be able to just walk in your room then I might put a sign or make sure that the nurses know. Of course when shift change happens you will have to remind them again... Hopefully you can just tell everyone not to tell your mother or anyone else until after the birth.

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
June 27th, 2009, 01:36 PM
mommabirdof4
Okay...I thought I would update on this issue....

I still haven't talked to her because the last time she called(she has only called once since I posted this) I didn't get to the phone in time and wasn't able to call back. I just have no plans on letting her know. My dad will be told when I call him to please don't call my mother.
June 27th, 2009, 08:18 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
YES PLEASE put up a sign to have visitors check with the nurses desk. THIS IS SO MUCH NICER for the nurses to just say yes/no then it is for us to "pull" someone out of the room. I actually hung up a sign on my patients doors that said "All visitors must check in with nurse's station" on rooms that family had a "no entry" list. We used those signs enough we had them laminated on stored on the unit LOL. As far as the no offering meds, etc list----most hospitals have an area in the room for notes for the nurses---Usually a white board, or head of the bed, or something like that, just ask the staff they will tell you---and if they don't have one-then yep right on the front of the door would be fine.
Its VERY ok and I actually liked it when patients had this stuff up (don't use tape please it ruins the walls ). I have never been or even heard of a staff member get upset about signs on the door---we do our own signs just for reminders. I actually would encourage moms to do this!
And one more thing---if your worried at all they will have an issue with it---bring snacks, nurses are VERY easy to win over LOL
June 27th, 2009, 09:06 PM
mommabirdof4
Angela....Thank you very much for that input....I think I will make up a sign that says all vistors must check in at the nurses station. I hate that the nurses have to be involved in this issue...why can't my family be "normal"??...I know the answer to that...no ones family is "normal".

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search