Those "crazy" ideas I've filled his head with

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 18th, 2009, 12:07 PM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
While visiting family in Pittsburgh this past weekend I received the email about the AMA "non-grateful patient" billing code and the mention of it then sparked a little conversation about c-section rates, interventions, etc. Stefan's SIL is one of those that tells every woman to get an epi as soon as you hit 3cm, whether you need it or not. She is a sweet woman so isn't combative with me about my views but I'm sure she thinks I'm a bit nuts.

Later Stef's brother mentioned how that conversation was interesting to him and that he couldn't understand the need to question your doctor. Stef said you could tell he was getting defensive about how they did things so Stefan quickly said that he & I just have our own views and neither are wrong. Apparently he really blew his brothers mind when he started talking about eating the placenta, something I haven't decided on but have discussed with Stef and Stef isn't freaked out by the idea.

Then later I heard Stefan tell someone that he plans to "catch" our baby and that he wants to be the very first hands to touch our child. I was actually shocked, I had no idea he wanted to do this. The last we ever talked anything about this, right in the beginning of me getting into NCB, he said he didn't even want to look "down there" and would stay at my head! He later told me that his bro could also not see any importance to catching your baby.

It all made me appreciate how far my DH has come. Less than 2 years ago he thought I was crazy the first time I mentioned NCB, now he's all for having our babes at home in water and catching them himself. I'm so very proud of him, not only for his own journey but how he can appreciate the difference when someone is educated or even when someone wants to be truly educated! I can only imagine the conversations his bro and SIL are having about all the crazy ideas I've filled Stefan with. The placenta thing has probably pushed it over the edge. LOL!
June 18th, 2009, 12:14 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
NICE!!! As you know there are some similarities with John's family. The whole vaccine thing is a big one, and home birth, WOW. Luckily they are really nice and very loving, and so happy to have John happy and grandkids, so they don't say much.

I love Stefan so much, and I don't even know him.
June 18th, 2009, 12:26 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
that is so great

June 18th, 2009, 12:49 PM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sounds like you got a good boy! And he pays attention and trusts you

When we moved here and I started looking for a midwife and found out if I wanted to birth in water I HAD to have a homebirth I asked my hubby if he was ok with that. His response was "Well honey...I don't know..what do all the other women do??' I immediately told him they all get epidurals and c-sections and that I was not getting another epi! So, I slowly started introducing facts in and he paid attention...and one day he came home home and said 'You're right babe..everyone we know has gotten a c-section.' Now he proudly tells people we're having a home water birth and insists on attending all of my midwives appts with me.

So, yeah for your man being down for NCB!!! I love hearing stories like this. Sorry bout the family though..always easier when people you love don't think you're a little off..LOL. I hope you guys get pregnant with your little one soon
June 18th, 2009, 03:05 PM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
Can you or your DH talk to my Ryan for me?!?! He tries...he really does. His family just poisons him back at every chance lol.

I am happy for you! It really shows trust and love in a relationship to work out issues like this.

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

June 18th, 2009, 03:44 PM
noworries
Hehehe...I can just imagine the conversations.
Aaron was the same way at first. He was always supportive of my choice for NCB but didn't know how involved he actually wanted to be. When the time came, he was so interested in everything that was happening and wanted to be down there watching it all happen and was asking the doctor questions about what was going on, etc.
And now he is on board with a home birth, catching baby, etc.
Stefan is just a step or two ahead of the rest.
June 18th, 2009, 03:51 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
Go Stefan! Dave has always been "different" (read: hippie ) as far as his family is concerned, plus they are all uneducated idiots. So he really doesn't care what they think, and he leaves the decisions of what I feel is best up to me, then supports me in those decisions. It was so funny after Tanith. He was like "whatever you want honey". Then after we had her, I think he may have been more pro-NCB than me! He was just amazed at the experience we had at the birth center, and told EVERYONE about it, whether they wanted to hear it or not!

June 18th, 2009, 06:53 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Awwww. My DH is doing that also now....I am not sure if he wants to catch---but *I* want to do that so I hope he doesn't! LOL I actually heard him questioning a guy the other day about "why if baby is fine ("proved" by NST and u/s) was his wife getting induced at 41 weeks".....I was just so proud....then he came home and vented about how it was dumb and they need to give baby time to bake and do its thing.
June 18th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
my Dh is soooo okay with it he would do unassisted if that's what I wanted and will gripe at birth shows on TV with me.

I didn't know he wanted to catch Nola until he mentioned how sad he was about it. So hopefully this time he'll get to!

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

Last edited by Kelllilee; June 18th, 2009 at 07:07 PM.
June 18th, 2009, 07:24 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
he is awesome! I think him and rob have that in common for sure, he is such a good advocate! he gives out my cards and tells people all the benefits and everything. I bet S will be the same way too!

June 18th, 2009, 10:24 PM
liveandlove0725's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Awww!! That's so great. My DH wants to "catch" too and I was so shocked to hear that as well! YAYY for our men!!
June 19th, 2009, 05:11 AM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That's great! My husband was super supportive of all of my decisions, and it was so nice because he was really the only one in my life who understood my desire to NCB. I can't imagine having to battle your dh as well as everyone else (not to mention the staff if you go to a hospital)

June 19th, 2009, 09:55 AM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We are a lucky bunch of women with the amazing men we have. Yay us!
June 20th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
that is wonderful!!!

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

June 20th, 2009, 04:34 PM
^RaineDrop^'s Avatar Summer Raine is 1 YR OLD!
Send a message via AIM to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via MSN to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via Yahoo to ^RaineDrop^
Placenta: Its whats for dinner!

Oh my..

You are one LUCKY woman though! I'd love to let my husband take the head in such discussions but usually it's me storming through arguments lol.

MY HOME WATER BIRTH WAS AMAZING

www.momentsbyheather.com
June 20th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Lacey.♥s.Lemons's Avatar Mommy March '05 & Feb '10
Send a message via MSN to Lacey.♥s.Lemons Send a message via Yahoo to Lacey.♥s.Lemons
DH is okay with whatever I want to do. Even though I'm only 7 weeks he seems to get more excited about the plans I have! I think that NCB daddies bond with their child more at birth, IMO.

June 21st, 2009, 03:32 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
There can be a downside to having DH catching the babe. It took me 3 hours to push and John sat there looking for the 3 hours right at my HEMMOROIDS! And I peed a thpusand times and I thibk pooped a bit. The only thing that saved me from total humiliation is that he went through medical school and has seen it all.
June 21st, 2009, 06:42 PM
~ Christine ~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm so glad he's so supportive! That's awesome!

Forever missing our angel 8.31.07

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search