A little freaked out

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 19th, 2009, 06:03 AM
~LaurenNoel~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So a short history...I have a rare spinal condition and was told my entire life that if I got pregnant, that I would have to have a c-section. I prepared for a section, and did just a little research on vaginal birth (since I thought it would never be an option).

Well, for my delivery I am going to Winnie Palmer Hospital (branch of Arnold Palmer Children Hopsitals) where they only deliver babies. They know about my condition, so I set up an appoinment to talk to one of their OBs. It took over 2 months to get the appointment! The docotr told me I could have a vaginal birth at their hospital (where they handle high-risk patients all day). I was shocked!!

She wants me to labor down, and pretty much let my body do the work, instead of me pushing. They will not give me drugs to induce labor. She said they do this all of the time, and it is much better for the baby and Mom, and greatly reduces the risk of a c-section or episiotomy. I am really excited!

BUT...I have not been to any birthing classes or read any books on natural childbirth, and I am 36 weeks pregnant! She thinks I will deliver a little before my due date. What can I do to prepare for this in such little time?

Thanks for reading all of this.

................ ...

Wesley (7.16.09) Severe GERD, FTT, Gastroparesis, Sensory Processing issues, Tube fed, (G tube currently), suspected Mitochondrial Disease, trialing Gastric Stimulator. Nissen Fundoplication 7/2012
Ruby (2.16.11)
Nissen Fundoplication and Hiatal hernia repair 10/25/11
June 19th, 2009, 06:15 AM
.adi.
You can read the bradley method book and.. crap the one by that one lady... someone else will remember which one it is. she's got a very famous book about natural childbirth. Read books on the basic idea of getting through a natural childbirth.

i hope others have more advice!
June 19th, 2009, 06:19 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Ina May's Guide to Childbirth and The Birth Partner are both really good resources.

I just had to have an unexpected c-section after 26 hours of labor at the Birth Center and would recommend doing everything in your power to avoid one. It will be worth it in the long run. Obviously if you have to have one, you have to have one, but if you can go thru with a natural childbirth and a supportive doctor, that is the best option, imo.

Best of luck, welcome to the board, and feel free to ask any questions

June 19th, 2009, 08:46 AM
noworries
Yep, Ina May's book and the Birth Partner are both great.
Have you considered hiring a doula?
Practice any relaxation/visualization techniques you can get your hands on.
June 19th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I think you need to prepare yourself mentally first. With a natural birth, it's all about your mindset. You have to be confident in yourself, you can do this!

Another book I'd recommend is The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth by Heidi Goencer (sp?).

Expecting baby #4!

Last edited by andi2284; June 19th, 2009 at 09:42 AM.
June 19th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Martina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi Lauren!
I dont have advice I guess, just some support, because I am sure you can do it!!!

June 19th, 2009, 09:49 AM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mental preperation is definitely key so read all of the positive NCB stories you can, visualize a great birth, and surround yourself with a great birth team. Sounds like you have a wonderful OB. Make sure you DH is supporting you 100% for NCB and if you can afford it, see if you can get a doula. They can be instrumental in your success.
June 19th, 2009, 10:15 AM
noworries
Quote:
Originally Posted by andi2284 View Post
I think you need to prepare yourself mentally first. With a natural birth, it's all about your mindset. You have to be confident in yourself, you can do this!

Another book I'd recommend is The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth by Heidi Goencer (sp?).
The author is Henci Goer.
June 19th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Thanks for all of the help. I will grab those books. I can't have a doula with me since I am still considered a high risk pregnancy, and they will be closely monitoring me with a group of doctors, including neurologists. I guess it won't be as "natural" as a water birth at home or something, but it's still more natural than I thought I would be doing! lol.

Oh, and I should add my DH is great. He supports whatever method is that is the safest for Wesley and me.

................ ...

Wesley (7.16.09) Severe GERD, FTT, Gastroparesis, Sensory Processing issues, Tube fed, (G tube currently), suspected Mitochondrial Disease, trialing Gastric Stimulator. Nissen Fundoplication 7/2012
Ruby (2.16.11)

Last edited by ~LaurenNoel~; June 19th, 2009 at 10:21 AM.
June 19th, 2009, 11:17 AM
mommabirdof4
Why can't you have a Doula???

I will be in the hospital but still have a doula. Doula's are even for momma's who decide to not have a natural birth...they attend all types of births even c-sections.
June 19th, 2009, 11:53 AM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have nothing more to add but good luck!

I live in Orlando too and it seems like so many people I know have had c-sections. I think it's great that you have such a supportive doctor.

June 19th, 2009, 12:06 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I am pretty surprised but very happily so, to hear your story! It is very rare to be encouraged to have a natural birth by a doctor! How exciting!

We can really help you here for the next few weeks, so stick around!

I think the best books for you to start with considering the late in the game start is The Bradley Method ( a great place to learn about the emotional stages of pregnancy) and Ina May's Guide to Childbirth which is just amazing, it is filled with really inspirational positive birth stories and great info on natural childbirth.

thanks for joining us!!
June 19th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl33 View Post
I am pretty surprised but very happily so, to hear your story! It is very rare to be encouraged to have a natural birth by a doctor! How exciting!

We can really help you here for the next few weeks, so stick around!

I think the best books for you to start with considering the late in the game start is The Bradley Method ( a great place to learn about the emotional stages of pregnancy) and Ina May's Guide to Childbirth which is just amazing, it is filled with really inspirational positive birth stories and great info on natural childbirth.

thanks for joining us!!
Ina May was on the movie The Business of Being Born, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nktigger99 View Post
Why can't you have a Doula???

I will be in the hospital but still have a doula. Doula's are even for momma's who decide to not have a natural birth...they attend all types of births even c-sections.
It might be hospital policy for high risk patients. I was already told my DH will not be allowed to stay in an emergency. If something goes really wrong, they will knock me out with general anesthesia for the c-section.

................ ...

Ruby (2.16.11)
June 19th, 2009, 04:43 PM
mommabirdof4
Ya It is standard if they have to use general anesthesia for a c-section that your Spouse/Couch isn't allowed in the room. Hopefully it will not come to that!!

Basicly a Doula is just another support person...like you said that you want your DH and your mom I believe with you in your birth plan...then you would just add your Doula on to that. She isn't there "offically" to the hospital. And during a true emergency she would be asked to leave just like your other support people.

If I end up with a C-section for any reason my Doula will not be with me during that time. But she will be there for the recovery time...to help me breastfeed and everything just like if I had a vaginal birth.
June 19th, 2009, 07:53 PM
.adi.
Ina May is who I was talking about, lol
June 19th, 2009, 08:21 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
Yes Ina May was in TBOBB she is amazing!!!
June 19th, 2009, 11:13 PM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
Lauren I am so glad they are now thinking a vaginal birth is best! I have nothing more to add...all the other suggestions are great! You CAN do this though!

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

June 20th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
I have nothing to add as well other then some support for another July momma!!!! You can do this, se t your mind. Tell yourself you can do it. its best for you and baby!!

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

June 20th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Thanks everybody! I was shocked too. As soon as we sat down with the doctor, she was like "So, you will be having a vaginal birth". I think my jaw hit the floor.

................ ...

Ruby (2.16.11)
June 21st, 2009, 06:47 PM
~ Christine ~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That's great news!!! It sure sounds like you have a great OB. I don't have much to add as you've gotten some great advice.... for me - it was all about motivation. Mine was not having an epidural - and that got me through it. GL and welcome.

Forever missing our angel 8.31.07

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search