Vaginal Breech Birth BETTER says Canada

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 20th, 2009, 07:50 AM
Del4's Avatar Super Mommy
Sorry girls, deleted the article as requested!

Reposted from: Vaginal Birth Better for Breech Babies Says Canadian Doctors : Eco Child’s Play

It's about TIME, I say! Now if only America would get on board...

Last edited by Del4; June 20th, 2009 at 06:08 PM. Reason: was doing as asked. :)
June 20th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That is awesome!!

June 20th, 2009, 08:08 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
great article! This should get moved to the articles subforum soon

My only concern with vaginal breech is that most care providers have never seen a properly managed breech birth, so they are likely to cause issues themselves. I would deliver vaginally before I'd have a cesarean though, even if I had to fight for the birth I want.

June 20th, 2009, 09:07 AM
.adi.
Sadly, America is very stuck in their ways about childbirth. Stuff has been proven to be easier on both mother and child countless times and yet we still give epi's and pit like it's candy. It's ridiculous! That's why we need to educate the MOTHERS because obviously the dr's are only trained to see things a certain way.
June 20th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Micksbabe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow this is awesome, considering that I live in Canada At my first doctors appointment the Dr. told me that if the baby is breech that we would have to book a c-section. I am glad to hear that may not be the way for much longer!! I would rather deliver vaginally than have a c-section anyday!!!

Thank you Bokkechick for my gorgeous siggie

June 20th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaMama View Post

My only concern with vaginal breech is that most care providers have never seen a properly managed breech birth, so they are likely to cause issues themselves. I would deliver vaginally before I'd have a cesarean though, even if I had to fight for the birth I want.
I agree with this totally. I've heard "horror" stories about breech deliveries with poor outcomes and most of the time it's because the doctor didn't know how to handle a breech delivery properly. I would love for the US to take this under consideration, but I also think there should be further education for providers on how to safely deliver breech babies. The over-managed style of the majority of today's births is just not appropriate for this type of birth. Breech babies need a much more hands-off approach.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

June 20th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Del4's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaMama View Post

This is very true!! Michel Odent says a breech birth is best cared for when midwife, doctor, whoever leaves mom alone and allows her to birth in a position that she feels is best. He says most breech birth complications that he's seen during delivery are caused by the interference of others in what would have been a normal birth if left alone. Hopefully Canada will teach their docs to back off in breeches rather than to try and manage the situation.

June 20th, 2009, 12:40 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
Well, I guess I'm taking a vacation if I ever end up with a breech baby! I'm only about 5 hrs away from the border.............

June 20th, 2009, 02:02 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
wow! right before i went to the OR for my c-section, i quickly consulted with the only OB who does breech deliveries. you know why he does? he is foreign and where he is from that is how they do things, so he is experienced. however, zoe turned transverse and he said a vaginal delivery was not an option that late in the game. sad that only foreign doctors in our hospitals do it!

June 20th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Martina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
well I hope it will become common practice to vag. deliver breech babies, it for sure isnt common practice here in Canada. Now I know my midwives have OB that delivers breech so I would go that route if I had to. Plus they told me they would deliver breech at home if baby turned (or we didnt know ahead of time) during labour (but by law they are not allowed to deliver breech babies). Still if my baby is breech (and it isnt right now woohoo, I am almost 36 weeks), I would not schedule c-section, I would look high and low to find somebody to deliver vaginally. I wonder how long it might even take for medical professionals to start delivering breech babies vaginally.

June 20th, 2009, 03:33 PM
~LaurenNoel~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I knew about this. My family is Canadian and we have talked about it in the past. They are usually shocked about many of our medical practices. My Aunt is the head RN at Toronto's biggest hospital.

................ ...

Wesley (7.16.09) Severe GERD, FTT, Gastroparesis, Sensory Processing issues, Tube fed, (G tube currently), suspected Mitochondrial Disease, trialing Gastric Stimulator. Nissen Fundoplication 7/2012
Ruby (2.16.11)
Nissen Fundoplication and Hiatal hernia repair 10/25/11
June 20th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
It would be great to see more doctors trained to do breech births in the US!

Quote:
Posted it there yesterday

I also wanted to add, due to copyright issues, the Admins at JM have asked that articles not be copy/pasted into threads. Could you remove the article and post just the link? Thanks mama!

Expecting baby #4!

June 20th, 2009, 06:10 PM
tygrss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We delivered breeches at my medical school because there were a few older docs who knew how to do it, so they made it a point to teach Residents and Medical Students how to do it.
On the flip side, the hospital where I did my residency doesn't do breeches under in circumstances. They do C-sections for everything. If the woman sneezes wrong they call an ASAP c-section! Ridiculous.
Good for Canada for trying to set things right.

June 20th, 2009, 11:22 PM
liveandlove0725's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Love this post! Thank you for the link!!
June 21st, 2009, 07:11 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
Thanks for deleting it, I didn't get a chance to ask myself yesterday from my iphone, thanks Andrea!!!

This is awesome and I am posting it in the articles of interest section! Thanks for sharing it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search