Can I officially lurk? :)

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 21st, 2009, 08:47 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
Hi everyone! I'm Kristen, mom to 17 month old Walter. We are TTC number 2 at the moment. I have no idea how long it will take since I am still nursing him frequently and just got my first post partum period 2 months ago.

Anyway, I have become such a different kind of mom with Walter than I ever imagined I would be. I definitely never thought I'd describe myself as a natural parent. But that's how things have played out. Walter has been breastfed from the beginning, eats mostly organic foods, wears cloth diapers, is not vaccinated, and is slowly replacing his plastic toys with wooden ones. Not because I even really think all those things are what's "best," but because I follow my heart and that's just what feels natural.

So, as we are now TTC, I feel drawn to having a natural, medicine free birth. After doing all the research I did when we decided to wait on vaccinating Walter, I am hesitant to have those drugs in my system when I deliver in the future. I delivered Walter vaginally, but I did have an epidural (ok, maybe a few) after 6 cms. The potential effects of those drugs in his system just never really registered with me until after I had him and he was there, in my arms, to take care of and make these choices for.

Anyway, my body had trouble with the epidural and the drugs kept wearing off after exactly 2 hours. When I got to the transition phase and was in a lot of pain, the doctor refused more because it was "too late," so I ended up feeling most of that and delivery anyway.

So I know I could do it, and I think it's what I want, I'm just scared (as everyone probably is at first, right?) and feel like I at least need exposure to other women's positive experiences in order to gain more courage. I think lurking around here while we TTC and while I decide what I want to do would be amazing. Is it okay if I jump in some, even if I haven't had a natural birth?

Anyway, that's my story. If it makes sense for me to wait until I'm actually pregnant, I can do that too.
June 21st, 2009, 09:21 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
Hello lady! Glad to have ya. No need to lurk, just jump in when/where you want to! We have all sorts of ladies here, different styles of parenting and different backgrounds. Everyone has something important to offer, even if it is just a supportive word.

love ya!
June 21st, 2009, 10:52 PM
Martina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenpie View Post

I'm just scared (as everyone probably is at first, right?)
sure, but in my case I was totally freaked out that I might end up with epidural, since that was the impression I had about birth (and a true one too LOL). that fear made me research the whole natural birth thing and I found that is exactly what I wanted and I had 4 of them so far, last 2 at home in water and planning 5th one. So I guess we all have fears, but we all have different fears LOL.
Natural birth doesnt scare me, epidural or idea of c-section scares me to death though

June 22nd, 2009, 07:05 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
for me a cesarean or epidural scares the **** outta me! I don't react well to analgesics or medication of any sort, so it is probable that I'd have some very scary side effects.

Joining in here is a great way to gain confidence and meet mamas who've done it We have a few members who joined before they were pregnant, and a few ttc right now too! Good luck, I hope you're pregnant and planning an amazing birth soon.

June 22nd, 2009, 07:19 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Welcome Kristen!

There's a Birth Stories subforum with lots of great natural birth stories that might give you the encouragement you need

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

June 22nd, 2009, 07:47 AM
~ Christine ~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome and jump on in. I definitely understand what you mean about not expecting to be a "natural" mama. Although this happened for me after the birth of my second son. I'm not really sure why not after the first, but here I am and will plan a NCB for however many more kiddos we have.

Forever missing our angel 8.31.07

June 22nd, 2009, 08:13 AM
Thanks guys!
June 22nd, 2009, 09:12 AM
noworries
Hey Kristen,
Jump right in. Hearing positive NCB stories is very important and educating yourself as much as you can.
June 22nd, 2009, 11:37 AM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hello and welcome. Hope you stick around. I'm pregnant with my first and hoping for a NCB (taking bradley classes currently). BTW I think you're in my friend jac's playroom.

June 22nd, 2009, 01:25 PM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome Kristen! What a great mom you are in trusting and going by your heart and instincts. I'm still waiting to conceive my 1st but already know I'll be a much different and natural parent than I ever expected to, especially compared to how I was raised. It's never too late or too early to start gaining knowledge and fortifying your heart, mind, and body with the birth experience you would like to have. No question is dumb or silly. We're all here to give support and neede encouragement, especially since some of us don't have much support IRL. So welcome! Glad you are joining us.
June 22nd, 2009, 01:40 PM
noworries
Quote:
Originally Posted by monica8 View Post
Hello and welcome. Hope you stick around. I'm pregnant with my first and hoping for a NCB (taking bradley classes currently). BTW I think you're in my friend jac's playroom.
Yep, Jac, Kristen, Cheryl, and I are all members of the Jan. 08 PR.
June 22nd, 2009, 07:21 PM
Yup to what Carrie said. I've actually met Jac and Sarah, they're awesome. And of course I have met Cheryl too. Just saw her last week. She and Cadie are the best. I think through our friendship some of her crunchiness may have rubbed off on me.

Thanks again for the warm welcome!
June 29th, 2009, 08:49 AM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by chispaza View Post
Yep, Jac, Kristen, Cheryl, and I are all members of the Jan. 08 PR.
Oh wow I didn't know you were all in there! Yeah, she is great. She's one of my best friends IRL and got me hooked on all the JM stuff. Except now I live a few hours away from her and don't get to see her as much as I like. Especially since we're both going to be moms now and Sarah is so darn cute.

June 29th, 2009, 12:32 PM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
Welcome over here! I think a big part of natural childbirth is educating and preparing yourself in any and every way possible. By posting in here you will gain great insight!

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

June 29th, 2009, 08:58 PM
horseradishmayo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by monica8 View Post
Oh wow I didn't know you were all in there! Yeah, she is great. She's one of my best friends IRL and got me hooked on all the JM stuff. Except now I live a few hours away from her and don't get to see her as much as I like. Especially since we're both going to be moms now and Sarah is so darn cute.
awww you guys are talking about me!!! i love you Monica!
and Kristen and Cheryl and Carrie too!!

(i'm lurking too and WTTC )

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture
use code JMMOMMY for free shipping in the US
June 30th, 2009, 11:45 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
Hi honey, Hi Sarah!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search