Rsapberry Leaf Tea

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 23rd, 2009, 10:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Snow Mami
So my midwife told me to start drinking raspberry leaf tea. 1-2 cups a day now and as much as I could in the 3rd trimester. That it wouls strengthen my uterus and make my contractions more effective and therefor labour faster. She said she would drink a quart a day if she was pregnant! While googling online to find a bulk source (its a lot of tea!) and I see that a lot of people think it is unsafe before 32 weeks, or can cause labour.

Can someone please explain to me what if any risks there are? Is it just and old wives tale or can it cause labour?
June 23rd, 2009, 10:31 PM
Martina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
well I read that too, but my midwife said I can have it all they way through the pregnancy and I have been drinking it a lot all the time, I am 36 weeks and no signs of labour yet LOL. I dont think it is supposed to cause labour at all, it is supposed to tone uterus so once you are in labour your contractions will be more effective

Who is your midwife??

June 24th, 2009, 06:39 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martina View Post
Who is your midwife??
I have two (its a birth center) Melanie Dossey and Katherine Grimes
June 24th, 2009, 11:42 AM
One of my pregnancy books that talks about natural pregnancy says you can drink it all throughout your pregnancy, but it is especially good at the end. There are always going to be people saying things are okay and things are not. Use your best judgement. I don't think your midwife would recommend something that would cause problems.
June 24th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Martina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Mami View Post
I have two (its a birth center) Melanie Dossey and Katherine Grimes
hmm dont know those two. I go to midwifery partnership (unless you dont live in Calgary anymore, just went by your location LOL)

Last edited by Martina; June 24th, 2009 at 12:46 PM.
June 25th, 2009, 12:00 AM
ninja_mommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
from what I have read it is just supposed to tone your uterus, not bring actual labor on. In the 2nd trimester I was probably drinking about one cup a day. I have been doing two since about the 3rd and might switch to three cups around 34-35 weeks. I would drink more, but you're right it is expensive. I found some on Amazon that was cheaper than what I have found in stores.

Oct '11 June '12
June 25th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martina View Post
hmm dont know those two. I go to midwifery partnership (unless you dont live in Calgary anymore, just went by your location LOL)
Oh ha ha yeah I moved to Texas.
I wish I was still in Calgary when it comes to healthcare...but I don't miss the weather!!
June 30th, 2009, 08:52 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
RRL is generally safe. If you have a history of preterm labor or recurrent miscarriage then you should take it with caution. I'm not supposed to take it, for example, b/c I've lost 3 pregnancies.

But if I hadn't had this history I'd be all over that stuff! It's yummy too!

June 30th, 2009, 11:40 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I was never able to really drink it much because I had such severe heartburn at the end. I had to sleep sitting up and everything. It is yummy though!

You can wait until later if you wish, or just start out with a cup once every few days.
June 30th, 2009, 05:44 PM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ooo. I am intrigued about this stuff. I love anything raspberry, so if it tastes like that I'd love it. And am a tea-aholic. I don't have a midwife or a super natural doctor, so I don't think they'd ever suggest it, but since I'm in my 3rd trimester, too, do you think I should get some? And where would I do that?

July 1st, 2009, 01:32 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
i started taking the capsules around 34 weeks, in both of my pregnancies, along with EPO. i'll never know whether my labours would have taken longer, without using these... but my first child came in under 2.5 hours, while my second began with a couple hours of odds cramping, and then a 30 minute super-painful labour.

so, i always recommend the RL tea/pills to women~ it can't hurt. i'm not sure whether i will use it this time, though, because my daughter (second child) was born in my 36th week, and i don't want to take any chances, if RL *can* contribute to starting labour.

best of luck in whatever you decide, and wishing you a quick and "easy" labour (oxymoron, right? )
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

July 1st, 2009, 07:31 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
Red Raspberry Leaf for Childbirth
July 2nd, 2009, 12:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Anyone have a good website for it that it is the real stuff and not ripping you off...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search