Kegals are making me miserable :(

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 24th, 2009, 05:18 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have pretty much STOPPED doing kegals at this point (shame, shame I know...I am supossed to be doing 200 a day according to my bradley teacher)..but everytime I do them my right leg busts out into horrible restless leg syndrome and doesn't stop for hours. I have been to the chiropractor, talked to my midwife, and been in the pool every day to try to help control it and nothing helps.

I just lay in bed and cry at this point because I know I'm not doing myself any favors by not doing them and I keep having this dream that I tear in half (literally, my entire body) and my midwife is just laughing at me saying it was my own stupid fault for not doing kegals!

does anyone have any kind of recommendation for this situation? i am miserable!!!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
June 24th, 2009, 05:24 PM
cheezpoofs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm sure you'll be alright. I didn't do any during my pregnancy. I tore fairly bad, but honestly, it healed fast and I could not really notice it then or now.

June 24th, 2009, 05:44 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
I didn't do kegals with my first pregnancy and didn't tear at all. I didn't think that kegals really effect tearing or not, since it is the muscle tone that you are doing them for. If you want to avoid tearing, have DH start doing perineal massage at around 36 wks. Kegals help you labor more effectively. And I'm angry at your mw for being so rude!

June 24th, 2009, 05:53 PM
no no she is not rude in real life...its just in my dream!! my midwife told me to stop stressing about it because she will tell me when to push/when not to push and she will massage the whole time to help me avoid it....it's just in my dream she is being a huge jerk!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
June 24th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Super Mommy
I rarely do them when I'm pregnant and I had a great water birth and barely tore with my first (2 stitches). And didn't tear at all with my second.
I always do them after my birth, I remember to do them every time I nurse the baby.
June 24th, 2009, 07:31 PM
^RaineDrop^'s Avatar Summer Raine is 1 YR OLD!
Send a message via AIM to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via MSN to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via Yahoo to ^RaineDrop^
I'm not worried about kegals and I wasn't last time either.. don't freat out, you most definitely won't split in half!

MY HOME WATER BIRTH WAS AMAZING

www.momentsbyheather.com
June 24th, 2009, 07:37 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I didn't do my kegals much when I was pregnant and hardly after and let me tell you I regret it EVERYDAY. I can't sneeze without peeing a bit and I can't jump rope or do jumping jacks -I work out a lot. I have been able to fix things a little bit recently but it's still bad.

I used to get really bad Charlie horses at night when I was pregnant and eating bananas helped. I wonder if that could help you?
June 24th, 2009, 07:44 PM
^RaineDrop^'s Avatar Summer Raine is 1 YR OLD!
Send a message via AIM to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via MSN to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via Yahoo to ^RaineDrop^
Ditto to the charlie horse banana thing! My mom did that.. I still get them in my feet if I bend them just right, it sucks..

I don't think any amount of kegals will keep a mother from sometimes peeing some when she sneezes lol. It never goes back to pre pregnancy form.. for lack of a better word and stuff... gahh pregnancy brain! It will always be more loose than before which means a lifetime of pee

MY HOME WATER BIRTH WAS AMAZING

www.momentsbyheather.com
June 24th, 2009, 10:20 PM
i eat two bananas a day..and i stopped getting charlie horses...but it's like my right leg has a mind of it's own! it will just start spazzing and convulsing! I thought maybe Brylie was sitting on the nerve so the chiropractor moved her wayyyyyy away and it didn't help...it's just my right too..never my left one or any other part of my body! it's like flexing the kegal muscle affects my leg somehow....it's so stressful!!! if i do kegals at all during a day, I HAVE to take two tylenol PM to sleep because that's the only thing that makes the spazzing start..and I hate taking so much medicine! it's a lose lose situation I think

I can always bump up my banana intake to 3-4 a day and see if that helps at all. I also drink lots of juice that is high in potassium content...sigh!!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
June 25th, 2009, 07:01 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Snow Mami
200 a day!

I do my kegal sporadically. Mybe 3 times a week for 10 min. I did it even less with my first and had no tearing and have never peed myself when sneezing/laughing/etc. Have you tried doing them while walking?
June 25th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Kegals won't prevent tearing, but they might prevent postpartum peeing accidents.

As for charlie horses, calcium can be another contributor. With my last pregnancy, I got free milk and yogurt while I was working (8am-4:30pm). I think I would have something like 24-32oz of milk just at work and one 6oz yogurt. That didn't even include the 16-24oz of milk I drank at home every day. I never had any problems with my legs. With this pregnancy, I have been so bad at getting enough calcium. I get leg and foot cramps so bad at night that they wake me up.
June 25th, 2009, 07:23 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
How do you feel about homeopathy? Most are safe to take during pregnancy and I know there is a remedy for restless leg. Hylands has a specific one called "restful legs" but I would check to make sure it's safe for pregnancy.

You may also want to check into a homeopathic sleep remedy over the Tylenol pm. Just a thought. I use moon drops or calms forte. Again check if they are safe while pregnant.

Peeing when you sneeze is NOT something that just happens once you have a baby. You can prevent it with kegals. I understand how much they suck. I loathe them. But I HATE this even more. I am thinking about serious rehab soon. So try to make it work because it's worth it!
June 25th, 2009, 07:31 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
to the best of my knowledge all homeopathics are safe durring pregnancy. That is a very good starting place.

Accupuncture could be very very helpful for you as well.

June 25th, 2009, 08:02 AM
Devan'sMama's Avatar ♥Devan's Mama♥
Hey Chelsea
My midwife also recommended magnesium supplements (they usually come magnesium/calcium together) for my Charlie horses. HTH.
June 25th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
I agree about the calcium/magnessium. Try taking some about an hour before bed. It seriously helped me during both of my pregnancies.

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

June 25th, 2009, 08:49 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
but make sure you don't take too much calcium. It can age your placenta before it should.

June 25th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I get the restless legs thing too. I absolutely hate it. But I have it ALL the time. Anyways I cant do many kegels. I try and try but I just go numb. Well I hope you find a solution but 200 is a lot in my opinion!

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
June 25th, 2009, 11:25 AM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
@ me! I'm glad I read that thing about your mw wrong! Whoops.

I have a hard time doing them anyway. It feels weird and I can't do it. I have ben-wa balls. Maybe I should start using them.

June 25th, 2009, 11:30 AM
rachna's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I hope you are able to find a solution! I didnt do many kegals with either, I tore but not to badly, and I dont pee when I sneeze.
June 26th, 2009, 12:24 PM
thanks for the advice ladies! I am looking into acupuncture now but the place around here that specliazes in pregnant women is really booked up! so im going to ask my bradley instructor if she has any recommendations at our class on Tuesday.

and these aren't cramps like charlie horses at all....it's painless annoying muscle spasms that cause my whole leg to convulvse! it literally just shakes!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search