Nighttime Fussiness *sigh*

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 26th, 2009, 05:21 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
So in almost every way Emory is super easy. It probably has a lot to do with the fact that we've BTDT with Bryson but overall he's much less fussy than B was. He nurses easily and spits up very little. He sleeps well for the most part. I usually wear him to sleep and then can put him in the crib. Half the time he wakes up within a few minutes and I just do it all over again and eventually he stays asleep. I honestly don't mind it at all during the day.

However, every night for the past two weeks or so right around 7:30 he starts to get very fussy. He can sometimes be gotten to sleep but wakes up instantly if you put him down. It's very predictable now and I always know he'll be asleep for good by 11:00. It's so not fun. I know I shouldn't complain but it's difficult because that is also B's bedtime and it's very hard to soothe one baby and get the other one ready for bed. On the nights DH isn't home from work yet I have to let Emory fuss for a few minutes and then keep running back to him with a pacifier, which he gets tired of very quickly.

Ugh, I just needed to get that out. I know it's normal newborn behavior but I just really wanted to vent.

On the plus side, I finally got him to sleep last night at about 9:45 and he slept until 3:40! That's awesome for 6 weeks old, right?!

June 26th, 2009, 05:51 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
except for last night, Zoe has been fussy from 2am onto about 5am It sucks! LOL. I have no answers for you.

June 26th, 2009, 05:54 AM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
Since I am fairly new to posting over here I don't know much about you or the little guys. However I am just curious if you wear your babies at all or if that is an option. I know when Leila was little she had a period of fussy/neediness between 7-11 pm and then she would fall asleep. With only one I either wore her or was able to rock her. Rocking is a lot harder with two though. Just a suggestion

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

June 26th, 2009, 06:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mom of 4 Js
Jacob does the same thing! He starts closer to 7 pm though and fusses until around 8:30 until he falls asleep. I have the same issue with having to put the older two kids to bed at 7:30 while he is cranky- it is not so easy! I try rocking him, nursing him, anything I can think of to soothe him! Sometimes putting him in his swing buys me a few minutes to get the other two in bed, but then I feel guilty because the older two don't get enough special time with me before they go to bed. I speed read to them LOL! Usually what ends up working with Jacob is putting him in the crib with the pacifier, playing his music thing, and patting his little tushy for a few minutes and he usually falls asleep (this is after over an hour of fussing and fighting sleep). That is the hardest time of the day for me! During the day he is fabulous, and even at that time he is not bad its just hard to juggle all of the kids. If you find something that works PLEASE let me know!
Jordan 7/28/06, Jason 7/17/07, Jacob 5/23/09,
& Jillian 6/13/11 born at home in the water

June 26th, 2009, 06:30 AM
sillyp's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I feel your pain, Cindy! Brennen went through from about 6 weeks to 9 weeks. Then magically, what Tracy and I were referring to as the "witching hour," disappeared. I don't know what it was! Every night from about 8:30 pm til 10 or 11, he was the fussiest baby ever! There was nothing we could do to make him calm down either. It wasn't gas, it was just fussiness! We'd walk around with him, rock him, sing to him, lay down with him, wear him in the Moby, etc. and nothing helped. In the 3rd week of it, he just stopped. I didn't say anything the first night in fear of jinxing it, lol, but the 2nd night I said "honey, Brennen hasn't had his fussy time 2 nights in a row now!" Tracy was skeptical, but it never came back.
Hang in there girl! I wish I had some advice, but that was our experience.

Thanks, Jaidynsmum, for the beautiful siggy!

June 26th, 2009, 06:51 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
Sounds like a growth spurt to me!

Have you checked out the happiest baby on the block yet? It's pretty great.
June 26th, 2009, 07:19 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
we were slackers and watched the happiest baby dvd, but mostly because Dh does not really read.

June 26th, 2009, 08:21 AM
lttle_one's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lttle_one
Cherie did the same thing for a few weeks. The only thing that would work was putting her in the Moby and going for a walk outside. Walking around the house didn't work, she had to be outside. She gets a little fussy every once in a while at night now, but it's not for hours on end like it was for a while there. I hope it doesn't last that long for you!
June 26th, 2009, 09:34 AM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You're doing great! Yep, sounds like fussiness may be from a growth spurt. This is pretty right on time. 6 hours of sleep at 6 weeks old is amazing! But I can understand how frustrating it can be to take HOURS to get him to sleep when you also have B to take care of.

Remember, everything is a stage. Emory will grow out of this one and into a new one in no time. Just like in NCB, ride the wave and you'll get through. You're doing an amazing job. Love you!
June 26th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
Sounds like Hunter! About 6-7pm he gets really fussy and requires someone to hold him all evening. He's almost always asleep by 10:30 but some nights will fuss till 11 or 12. But once he's asleep, he's out until 6ish (maybe waking once to nurse). But those few hours of not being able to put him down are hard and exhausting because he's not a light baby by any means! I feel bad making DH hold him all night since that's his only time to do anything for him. But at 9 I have to get the other two ready for bed and bathed and it wears me out! By the time Hunter goes to sleep I'm about ready to faint!

June 26th, 2009, 12:16 PM
scatney's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to scatney
I'm sorry it's hard right now. He sounds exactly like Cole as a new born. To encourage you, Cole now sleeps 11 hours over night and falls asleep on his own. Having a 2nd means that sometimes, they just have to fuss a while on their own. Honestly, I think it helps. They learn to self soothe which makes transitions easier later on. It seems like eons ago that I was wearing Cole to sleep and wondering if he would ever "get it". Now, I truly miss the precious days of his newborn time.

I haven't been around on this board much so I'm busy catching up on all the birth stories and new babies! Congratulations on the birth of Emory!

Oh, forgot to mention this. Have you read "The Baby Whisperer". It's similar in some ways to happiest baby book but has more practical solutions that last through the whole first year. The only thing I don't like about it is that it labels babies, Angel baby, touchy baby, etc. I tend to get those things stuck in my head but other than that, it's a great resource!

Mom to Scott, Nathalie, Sydney, and Cole

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search