Birthing Center verses Hospital

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 26th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Our area is finnally getting a birthing center. I'm excited, but cautious. The whole birth experience with my daughter was not as I had hoped. I was induced at almost 42 weeks. It was a scare tactic completely -the only reason we agree. I had terrible back labor, was stuck in bed with a horrid nurse who would not let me get off my back or from a sitting position (I wanted to stand - I said I'd stand next to the bed with the monitor if it pleased her but NOPE). And it was just a long chain of events, and gosh most days I feel lucky as heck to have avoided a c-section.

So anyways, after I had DD I changed OB/GYNs and he is supposed to be a lot better. We discussed all the events that happened with DD's birth and he said given our family history of heart complications - being induced and getting an epidural should have never happened. Only I didn't know the extent of our families heart issues. He said he'd never recommend me to be induced and would discourage an epidural or similar because of the effect on a baby's heart rate without knowing any abnormalities. . This doctor delivers at a different hospital which is supposed to be natural birth friendly (They have tubs, lowest c-sec rate, lowest epidural, lowest intervention in general rates. Which is a good sign right?

Well, they are opening up a new birthing center - and only birthing center in the area. S taffed by midwives. From my understanding they encourage parallel care (they are not CNM - jsut midwives I guess? I don't know how SC works for licensing midwives to be honest). But its right across the street from my work. Which sounds like a great option as well. I hate being in a hospital - hated every moment of it. But DH would never go for a homebirth, espically given the fact that DD had a heart issue (her heart rate kept dropping after I got the epidural, even worse when I was pushing).

I'm not even pregnant yet, nor are we TTC but this is the main reason we wont TTC. We're not comfortable with the stats out there. I feel like if we go with a hospital birth, I might as well say "hello c-section" based on the 70+% c-section rate in our city hospitals (which is NC, instead of SC we live on the state line!)
June 26th, 2009, 06:42 PM
noworries
Sounds like the birthing center would be a great option for you and make DH satisfied too hopefully. I had a wonderful experience at a NCB friendly hospital (my daughter was born naturally in the hospital, the nurses were great, I was able to use the tub, no drugs were ever offered, etc.) but with your experience with your daughter's birth in a hospital I would think you would be more comfortable at the birth center.
June 26th, 2009, 09:02 PM
rachna's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It sounds like a great place, I had a wonderful experience of NCB at my hospital as well, but I think it is a case to case basis, some hospitals are more supportive then others. I am also a pretty assertive person when it comes to my medical needs, so I have more tolerance for annoyance. If that makes any sense.
June 27th, 2009, 06:54 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
Birthing centers are wonderful and not everyone is lucky enough to have one as on option. I say check it out!

I was present for a friends birth in one and it was fantastic. The only "catch" is you have to leave by 12 hours after the birth. I think some people don't care for that.
June 27th, 2009, 07:34 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would say that it is a wonderful option for you. B/C of your history most doctors would be quick to cut you, wheich is unneeded and unnecessary for the most part. The birth center on the otherhand will care for you as if you are "normal" and low risk, which it sounds like you are. They will likely require a level 2 US to rule out most heart problems with the baby, and listen closely durring labor for an arythmia or other red flags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl33 View Post
Birthing centers are wonderful and not everyone is lucky enough to have one as on option. I say check it out!

I was present for a friends birth in one and it was fantastic. The only "catch" is you have to leave by 12 hours after the birth. I think some people don't care for that.
Most are happy to go home from us..... it is so nice to go home and sleep in your own bed. By us people go home mainly by 4-6 hours after the birth, 12 at the most.

June 27th, 2009, 08:00 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I agree. The birthing center sounds like a wonderful option for you to get the birth you want. Maybe you can interview the midwives before you start TTC and see how you feel then.

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
June 27th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The birth center sounds great, and that Dr does too. Did I understand correctly that you would be having parallel care with both the Dr and the midwives? That seems like a good thing with a strong history of heart problems.

June 27th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaMama View Post
I would say that it is a wonderful option for you. B/C of your history most doctors would be quick to cut you, wheich is unneeded and unnecessary for the most part. The birth center on the otherhand will care for you as if you are "normal" and low risk, which it sounds like you are. They will likely require a level 2 US to rule out most heart problems with the baby, and listen closely durring labor for an arythmia or other red flags.

Most are happy to go home from us..... it is so nice to go home and sleep in your own bed. By us people go home mainly by 4-6 hours after the birth, 12 at the most.
Oh I hope I was clear - I did not have a c-section with DD. They were able to use the vacuum thingie thus avoiding one. If the vacuum did not work, a c-section would have been it. From my understanding, she was coming out - just not quick enough with her heart rate dropping.

Oh, I would gladly leave the birth center before 12 hours! LOL! I wish they'd let you leave the hospital before 12 hours without signing against medical advice.

Ok, random question - what is the difference between a level II and the other ultrasounds. We had 2D ultrasounds done just about every visit b/c they could never find DD's heartbeat via doopler. I was 24 weeks along before they could hear her heart beat with the doopler (I have a tilted uterus which was the reason according to OB/GYN). No abnormalities were notied in the 2D ultrasounds or the 3D/4D ultrasound we had done for fun.Then again, I wonder if it would have been better if the cardioligist did the ultrasound rather then an OB/GYN.

Once the birth center opens, I'm planning to make an appt to meet with them. I know they are seeing patients via home visits already.
June 27th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen2Love View Post
Oh I hope I was clear - I did not have a c-section with DD. They were able to use the vacuum thingie thus avoiding one. If the vacuum did not work, a c-section would have been it. From my understanding, she was coming out - just not quick enough with her heart rate dropping.

Oh, I would gladly leave the birth center before 12 hours! LOL! I wish they'd let you leave the hospital before 12 hours without signing against medical advice.

Ok, random question - what is the difference between a level II and the other ultrasounds. We had 2D ultrasounds done just about every visit b/c they could never find DD's heartbeat via doopler. I was 24 weeks along before they could hear her heart beat with the doopler (I have a tilted uterus which was the reason according to OB/GYN). No abnormalities were notied in the 2D ultrasounds or the 3D/4D ultrasound we had done for fun.Then again, I wonder if it would have been better if the cardioligist did the ultrasound rather then an OB/GYN.

Once the birth center opens, I'm planning to make an appt to meet with them. I know they are seeing patients via home visits already.

yep, I didn't tihnk you had a cesarean. I just think that with the heart history they will be quicker to want to cut you this time to stay on the safe side

here is some good info on a level 2 scan:

What is meant by a Level II ultrasound examination?
Answer: A level II ultrasound examination refers to a 'targeted' examination. This is usually performed at a perinatal center where more expertise in ultrasound scanning is available. Situations when a level II scan is ordered include:
suspected fetal anomaly during a level I examination, severe IUGR, elevated maternal-serum AFP, Oligohydramnios, polyhydramnios, two-vessel umbilical cord detected at the level I examination, fetal cardiac arrhythmia, and exposure to drugs or chemicals in the first trimester....etc. Detailed scanning for any congenital anomalies and growth abnormalities is done on top of the basic documentations obtained at the level I examination, which refers to:
in the first trimester,
a. documentation of the location of the gestational sac.
b. documentation of the crown-rump length.
c. documentation of the presence or absence of fetal life.
d. evaluation of the uterus (including cervix) and adnexa.
in the second and third trimester,
a. documentation of fetal life, number, and presentation.
b. documentation of an estimate of amniotic fluid volume.
c. documentation of placental location.
d. documentation of gestational age. Assessment of the BPD, FL, AC and othe fetal parameters.
e. documentation of basic fetal anatomy (including a basic 4 chamber view of the heart, spine, stomach, kidneys, bladder, umbilical cord insertion ... etc ).

June 28th, 2009, 05:46 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Ok, I get what your saying now I can totally see that happening - actually that is why I'm afraid to go to a hospital again. At this point there is nothing to suggest that another child will even have a heart defect. (I would totally love to study genetics one day...)

hmm, I wonder if they would have even caught it on a level II. The most common heart defects are MVP and aortic stenosis(what DD has). And even with the best ultrasound technology, I doubt they would have picked it up via ultrasound w/ DD (and her cardiologist said the same). I know more of the major heart abnormalities you can pick up easily via ultrasound.
June 28th, 2009, 06:50 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
I don't know anything about the heart conditions but I do pray your next baby doesn't have one!

leaving the birth center early is the main thing that brought me over to the dark side... I mean natural childbirth! lol iHated being there being all monitored and blah!!!!!!! We can stay at ours for up to 12 hours, though she said most people leave about 3-4 hours after birth (law is 3) she said the only ones that really stay longer are the ones that give birth in the middle of the night, they tend to just spend the night till morning

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

June 28th, 2009, 07:48 AM
I bet your next won't have any problems either, but just to be safe the level II is helpful.

I also wanted to share with you that in our birthing center we have a few mamas due soon (2 or 3) who have had previous children with heart defects. One wasn't seen by a level II, and the other mom didn't have one. The perinatologist has cleared both of them to have home/birthing cneter births.

June 28th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I would definitely check out the birthing center!! It sounds like a great option for you.

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
June 28th, 2009, 08:50 PM
I totally agree about the time spent after birth. I had Cadie at 7 am Friday and we were gone Saturday evening. Would have been earlier if it wasn't for all their paperwork and stuff.
July 1st, 2009, 05:50 PM
Foyerhawk's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via AIM to Foyerhawk Send a message via MSN to Foyerhawk Send a message via Yahoo to Foyerhawk
I LOVED my birth center birth!

Did I read that right- 70% C section rate? That is hideous and certainly hope I misunderstood !!!?

I had my baby at 4 PM and was home by 10 PM the same day.

Best wishes to you!

July 1st, 2009, 05:57 PM
http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f3...ace-birth.html (Choosing your place of birth) - some info that might help!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search