Well I got my BFP!

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 27th, 2009, 02:00 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie

I'm so cautious since my tests are still very light, but this happened with my son too. It's so easy to worry.

My first question for you all is this. I'm still not sure if I want to go completely natural this time, although I am very interested and would really like to talk myself into it completely. I moved to Massachusetts after my son was born, so I don't have an OBGYN here. I would like to find a midwife and make my first appointment with her, but does that mean I'm committing myself to a 100% natural childbirth? Or would I just make sure to make an appointment with a midwife that works in a hospital so that I can make that choice at a later time? There is the North Shore Birth Center close by that I am really really interested in, but I'm not sure if I make an appointment there if I am signing up to deliver there. I would love to pursue a water birth option.

Also, at what point to midwives usually see pregnant women the second time around? I know OBs like to make 6 week appointments, is it the same for a midwife?

Thanks guys.

Last edited by bostoncreampie; June 27th, 2009 at 02:07 PM.
June 27th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
Congrats!!

Depends on the midwife. Some only do homebirths, or only do birth center births, and those will pretty much "limit" you to choosing a NCB. But some have priviledges at hospitals and can still deliver you if you want to go that route. I would caution you about using a midwife that is a hospital employee or part of a "group" of mostly OBs. Generally speaking, they aren't as naturally minded.

Timing again depends on the midwife. With my first, the midwife saw me right away at 4 weeks. With my second it was 6 weeks, with my third it was 6 weeks but only for a "meet and greet" sort of thing, didn't have a "real" appointment until 12 weeks. (different midwives each time)

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

June 27th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Thanks! I know the North Shore Birth Center has a pretty great reputation, so I'm not terribly worried about that. I've met lots of pretty "crunchy" moms who have delivered there. I looked on their website and it does look like they give the option of delivering there or at the hospital. So I think I may give them a call on Monday. How exciting!
June 27th, 2009, 02:50 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Congrats!!

I first went to the birth center here at 8 weeks. There was a full orientation everyone goes to prior to being seen as a patient there. At the orientation, there was a lot of information presented and I think it really weeds out who is a good candidate for a birth center birth and who is not. kwim?

June 27th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
congrats!! What everyone said aboutit being different is here too.
My midwife is at a free standing clinic (she is the ONLY one there) though she has students on occassion and her husband is abck up midwife if for some reason she is not there (though its never happened)
She didn't see me till 12 weeks. and and she can use drugs just not pitocin. Stadol or whatever type stuff. I personally would rather have an epi then teh drugs, so for me, its NCB or nothing! lol

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

June 27th, 2009, 03:13 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
Kristen, is that the one in Beverly? If so, Cindy, the other co-host here just had her second baby there 6 weeks ago. She loved it!!

No one is going to make you commit to anything but there is no epidurals at birth centers as you know. You may be able to find a hospital near you that has tubs to labor in. Often they won't let you deliver in them at hospitals though. The water cuts the pain by half or more so that is a great option. In my case with Cadie I never got to go in the tub because once the nurse got done with her intake (2 hours!!) I was at 9.

You have lots of time to research and feel it all out. I suggest starting out reading the thinking women's guide to a better birth by Henci Goer.

so excited for you!!! Hopefully I will be lucky this month and we can be preggo together again.
June 27th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Yep it's the one in Beverly! Only about 25 minutes from me. I didn't know water reduced pain that much. I have always been one to go take a hot shower or bath when I am stressed, or feeling yucky. It always makes me feel better. So naturally, I would think that birthing in water would be somewhat comforting.

I wanted to use a tub when I had Walter but I "couldn't" because my water broke. Do midwives seem to care about that?

I had a terrible experience birthing Walter in a hospital, actually. My favorite person there was a midwife, and she was actually the one that stopped my hemorrhage and prevented me from needing blood. No one else was involved, everyone was cold and unsupportive until I was pushing. They wouldn't even get me a chair so I could sit in the shower, standing was uncomfortable so soon after I caved and got my epi.

I know there are no epis at birth centers, I was sort of more wondering if halfway through the pregnancy I decide that a natural birth is just not for me, if I would have to go find a new OB and hospital or if my midwife could just deliver me at the hospital. I didn't mean changing my mind during labor. Although I'm sure that happens sometimes too.

It looks like I found the answer though, their website makes it seem like you can deliver there or across the street at the hospital.
June 27th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Congrats on the BFP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My midwife can still give pain medicine just not an epidural at the birthing center. But as everyone said it is different for every midwife. Get a meeting with them and let us know how it goes.

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
June 27th, 2009, 03:51 PM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've never heard anyone say that water cut their pain by nearly as much as half. What it does is make you more able to relax, so your perception of the pain is less. It is certainly a good thing, and really does help for nearly all mamas!

Being at a birthing center will make a NCB easier then at the hospital..... with the freedom to really work with your body, so I would choose that over the hospital for sure.

If you do change your mind you can transfer care later in pregnancy, but that is not ideal.

June 27th, 2009, 08:18 PM
AshleyMarie's Avatar Proud Mommy of Two
Send a message via MSN to AshleyMarie
I was able to birth/labor in the water after my midwife broke my water so that shouldn't be a problem if you want to have a water birth.

Congrats on your BFP!

June 27th, 2009, 08:21 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats!!!!
June 28th, 2009, 09:19 AM
~ Christine ~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats on your BFP!

I use an OB, so I'm going to be no help on the midwives! GL

Forever missing our angel 8.31.07

June 28th, 2009, 02:09 PM
liveandlove0725's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sounds like you got your answers but I still wanted to post and say CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!
June 28th, 2009, 05:32 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
My experience was that it did cut the pain by half when I was in the bathtub at home. I loved it!
June 28th, 2009, 06:31 PM
tygrss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats!

June 28th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Congrats! I'm sure Cindy can provide you a lot of information on the Birth Center. I know she really loved her experience there!

*Thank you kiliki for the siggy!*

Mom to Kennedy (2/19/11) and Caleb (8/6/12) and Expecting #3 10/13/14
Life As We Know It
June 28th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Devan'sMama's Avatar ♥Devan's Mama♥
Congratulations!
June 29th, 2009, 04:59 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl33 View Post
My experience was that it did cut the pain by half when I was in the bathtub at home. I loved it!
Wow, lucky you!!!!! You are the only person I've ever heard say that. But nearly everyone does get some great relief from it.

June 29th, 2009, 07:43 AM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Woohoo! Congrats!!

June 29th, 2009, 11:44 AM
rachna's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats on the BFP!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search