Need encouragement...

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 2nd, 2009, 06:54 AM
britneyt's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I decided months ago that I wanted an all natural childbirth. Everytime I thought about labor since I made that decision, I pictured a very empowering and beautiful moment. I saw myself breathing though contractions and taking everything in stride.
Well, I had an ultrasound Tuesday, and baby is already measuring at almost 8lbs (7lbs 13oz). So, if I go 3 or heaven forbid 4-5 more weeks, he could be close to, if not, 10lbs or more. Knowing this information, when I think about childbirth now, I picture pain and pain and pain and screaming and just not a pleasant experience!! I can't get the thought of an epidural out of my mind now. Why is this??
I really want to do this naturally, but, I am beginning to have my doubts now, and I don't like it!

Any encouaging words from you BTDT moms with larger babies? I could use them
July 2nd, 2009, 07:23 AM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, I'm sure you'll get a lot of responses, but I'll just jump in and say that, #1 u/s are NOT a reliable method of estimating weight. #2 positioning is so much more important than weight of the baby. For you, it means that you'll probably need to labor in positions other than flat on your back. And if your baby is in the wrong position (ie breech, posterior, etc) it will make labor and delivery more difficult. Because of my experience I've done a lot of research and it seems like when the baby is in a bad position is when you experience abnormal labor pain, and not so much because of size.

The best chance you have at a natural delivery is to go into labor on your own, and once you do go into labor to remain mobile and upright and not be confined to the bed. If your doctor is talking about weight gain already this is a big red flag because he/she will probably try to induce early.

July 2nd, 2009, 07:24 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just had a client induced with a "huge" baby.... he was estimated at over 9 lbs. Instead he was 7lb 10 oz, a perfect size.

That is my best encouragement, the fact that you cannot trust the scare tactics nor the weight gestimations. Just trust yourself and your body.

July 2nd, 2009, 07:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaMama View Post
I just had a client induced with a "huge" baby.... he was estimated at over 9 lbs. Instead he was 7lb 10 oz, a perfect size.

That is my best encouragement, the fact that you cannot trust the scare tactics nor the weight gestimations. Just trust yourself and your body.
That's encouraging lol!
This wasn't my doctor that did the scan. I had 3d/4d scans done and when I saw how chubby he was I asked if she would measure him for me. I have yet to tell my the results of the scan (I'll see him Monday) but she printed them off for me to give him. I don't know if they will want to do another u/s or not. They haven't spoken of induction for me. I will not be induced unless I am over 42 weeks or medically necessary.
July 2nd, 2009, 08:12 AM
noworries
Yep, I've known several people who have been told from their ultrasounds that their babies are going to be 10 pounds and they end up actually being 7 pounds. Those are so unreliable on weight guesses. Just keep up your positive visualizations.
July 2nd, 2009, 08:56 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
yes, don't go by the ultrasound. There is such a fear of "big babies" and it is often used as a way to convince women they can't handle labor on their own. We have had some really big babies born naturally on this board. It really is more about positioning and relaxation.

Check out the subforum "natural childbirth information and articles of interest" there is information about preparing emotionally for childbirth. There is sons info on fear too. Also links to websites that have more info. Try reading some of the birth stories too.

Another good resource is Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. It is filled with inspirational stories of successful natural childbirths.
July 2nd, 2009, 09:49 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
3d/4d US places are usually less reliable then techs say at a parinatologist's office (high risk scans). So I'd put little to no stock in their estimate.

stick around and do lots of confidence bosting exercises. You'll do great!

July 2nd, 2009, 06:11 PM
mommabirdof4
My son was suppose to be 8+ pounds based on U/S....ya he was 6lbs 8oz...so I wouldn't put much stock in it at all.

My dr that I have this time around doesn't do U/S this late in the game unless there is a problem suspected...like low fluid or something...she says she doesn't think it is usefull to scare moms.

Plus lots of people do have 10+ lbs babies naturally....like a Previous posted said it is all about positions...and things like that.

Good Luck and You can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
July 2nd, 2009, 06:32 PM
Martina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
u/s is not accurate at all, I wouldnt worry about it too much.
I love having big babies!!! Had all mine naturally, and wouldnt change it in million years. Bigger babies are sooo easy to take care of (well you know what I mean LOL. it is still a lot of work, but you dont have to worry too much about them loosing weight etc)
Labour itself isnt any more painful than having small baby, heck my second labour was with no pain till i got to 7cm and that baby ended up being 10lb. My 4th was 11lb 2oz and labour wasnt any different when it comes to pain than my other labours (well that one wasnt painless like my second OK, but I didnt really expect it to be painless haha). The only difference was the pushing part which was more painful with my last (but that too depends on the size of the head not really the weight of the baby), well not pushing itself, it was more painful when baby was coming out, but I never even tore (I had her at home in water tough)

July 2nd, 2009, 07:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
New England Girl just posted her birth story and her baby was almost 10 pounds and she said there wasnt near as much pain because the baby was anterior. Positioning is very important on the pain scale. I havent had a huge baby or anything 8 lbs 7 oz was my biggest but Im pretty sure size isnt a huge factor. You can do it! Dont doubt yourself. You are strong!

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
July 2nd, 2009, 07:32 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've never really heard a mom who had NCB with multiple babies say the bigger babies are harder. It's always about what position they're in. Like Angela says, "I'd rather push out a 10 lb baby in the right position any day than a 7 lb posterior one."

All the moms I've heard who've had big babies just say, "Fat squishes."

Plus I second DoulaMama that 3d/4d ultrasounds are the least likely to be accurate, in a field (ultrasound) that is KNOWN for being wildly inaccurate already.

We had a mom in here recently who naturally birthed an 11 or 12 lb baby in a very short time with NO tearing. You might read some of the birth stories for encouragement!

July 2nd, 2009, 07:37 PM
rachna's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My sister had a U/S and it said the baby was 7lbs 12oz. 1 week later she gave birth to a 5lb 11oz baby. So as the others said you cant trust U/S measurements

That being said, you can TOTALLY do it. From what Ive heard from people the size of the baby doesnt matter as much as position. I had small babies, but they were posterior, so it "hurt more" then a bigger anterior baby would, if that makes sense.

YOU CAN DO IT!
July 2nd, 2009, 10:36 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8ermaiden View Post
Like Angela says, "I'd rather push out a 10 lb baby in the right position any day than a 7 lb posterior one."

All the moms I've heard who've had big babies just say, "Fat squishes."
HEY you stole my quote--now what i'm I suppose to say! LMAO!

So yeah ditto the above! LOL
Don't get stuck in the mind games (plus those u/s are crap LOL)---KNOW your body was MADE to do this and that you CAN and WILL do it! I have faith in you!
July 3rd, 2009, 06:16 AM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
aloha britney. i haven't read all the responses, but i'm sure most of the ladies mentioned that an ultrasound can never guarantee an accurate size/weight of a fetus. we just have to wait and see, with that.
i have two little ones, both born a couple of weeks early (38 wks, and 36.5 weeks). if i had gone to term, my kids would have been over 9-1/2 lb. looks like they, and/or my body, knew what i could handle~ my son was 8 lb. 4 oz. and my girl 7-10.5. both were very quick, all natural births. they were fairly close in weight, and i couldn't tell you a difference. i think it more depends on the circumference of the head. i've never been through anything more painful, but also, nothing else has been so rewarding, in the end. i would, and will, do it again.
in this day, i think it's pretty natural to be fearful of giving birth, and to want to maybe choose an epidural. remember that you're no less a woman if you have an epidural, pain killers, or even a c-section-- you do what you have to do, to get through a very tough day and safely meet your child.
you sound like going natural is pretty important to you though, so i wish you lots of luck, an easy, fast labour... sending labour vibes, since you are at term now~ you never know what your body can really do, until you reproduce, go into labour, and deliver your baby. i just hope you get the labour you want, mama. best wishes!
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

July 3rd, 2009, 08:11 PM
cheezpoofs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You are strong and can do this. It's only natural to fear that which we have not experienced and know will cause pain. Good luck, Mama! You'll do great!

July 3rd, 2009, 09:03 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Fat squishes!!! So if the baby is chubby all should be good!

I have heard from women with more than one child that the larger babies were easier because they were more efficient at dilating the cervix. A few of my babies were on the bigger size. I did just as well, actually better with the 8 lb 15 oz baby as I did with the 8 lb 4 oz.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
July 4th, 2009, 07:31 AM
Thanks ladies
July 7th, 2009, 09:31 AM
E1izabeth's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think the previous posts have about covered it. I just wanted to say that I have never met a woman who had her baby's weight accurately determined by u/s. They told me each of my kids would be mid-7 pounds and they were at least a pound off both times.
Also I've delivered a 6#11oz baby and a 8#6oz baby. I'm 5 feet tall and petite. I did not notice a difference in the pain level during contractions at all. I did not have much tearing with either baby and didn't have any trouble healing up. That is a 2 pound difference in baby's weight but it didn't seem to make a difference in pain or tearing for me so don't let the weight they talk about get you nervous. Your body is making the baby that is the right size for you!
Fomerly known as 1SonSoFar, now awaiting Baby #3!!!

July 7th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Del4's Avatar Super Mommy
Everyone has already said what I was going to. U/S's are definitely wrong a lot of the time and those 3d places are even worse! In fact, the ones we have around here won't even give you guesstimates on size or gestational age because they don't want to end up getting sued lol.

AND if somehow this estimate is correct, there's zero reason your body cannot do this. Reicher, my last baby, was born 16 days overdue and weighed in at 10lbs 3oz. I never would have guessed that! I had a skid mark tear, but he was really no harder to give birth to than my little twins (6 and 5 pounders). Have faith and trust in your body. If you couldn't do it, your body wouldn't allow it to happen -- I firmly believe that when it comes to pregnancy/labor/delivery.

OH! And I forgot to say, i healed much faster from my 10pounder than the twins!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search