Baby Surprise has arrived...my birth story!

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 2nd, 2009, 07:49 AM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This is very late in coming, and I apologize! It's been pretty busy and hectic here with 2 under 2 and all our friends and family wanting to meet the new baby.

Early Tuesday morning, June 23, almost five days after my midwife stripped my membranes and after walking around all that time at 5 cm dilated, I woke up at 3:45 am to a huge gush of water. I mean huge. I only leaked a little with my daughter, so I wasn't prepared for how much fluid would come out! I woke up Jaysen, called my parents to come stay with Cassidy, and we went to the hospital. We got there at 4 am, and at that time I was still 5 cm and just beginning to contract regularly. The great news was that the baby had finally turned anterior and I wasn't having back labor! I have to say that after 17 hours of back labor with Cassidy, regular contractions are nothing!! I felt just a little uncomfortable until about 8 cm, and that was the first real pain I felt.

At that time, which was around 6:30 am, my midwife arrived, and I got into the jacuzzi tub. That was so awesome! I felt very relaxed and was able to rock on my hands and knees through the contractions, while Jaysen rubbed my lower back. By 9:30 I was all wrinkly, and fully dilated. I wasn't really feeling pressure, but I got out of the tub and my midwife checked me. I had a small forebag of water left in front of the baby's head, which was keeping it from coming down. She broke that with her little crochet hook thingy, and said I had a small lip of cervix left on the left-hand side. She kept her hand up there and pushed it out of the way while I squatted and pushed for the first time. That was the most painful few moments of the entire labor. Once she got that out of the way I began to feel more pressure. She and the nurses got the bed taken apart and everything ready while I breathed through a few more contactions. They were more intense now but I was shocked at how they just didn't seem as bad. I was nowhere near losing control.

At 10 am I started pushing in earnest. I'm a little freaked out by the pushing stage, just because it was so prolonged and intense with my first child. However, even the pushing was easier this time. I was able to push squatting while holding onto the bar, and then, as the baby crowned, I layed on my right side and pushed while holding my left leg back. This was very effective and almost painless. I was getting tired, though, so I began to feel sorry for myself just a little bit, lol Just as I was beginning to feel like I couldn't do it, out slid the baby's head and I realized I was almost done! I couldn't believe it...it had only been half an hour! I was getting sooooooo anxious to know the sex of the baby!

The baby's right shoulder did get stuck, and as the midwife used her fingers to dislodge it, I did tear just a little bit, but I didn't feel it. 70 seconds after the head delivered, the rest of the baby slid out, and I felt such instant relief! I remembered that feeling from my daughter, and it's just the best feeling in the world!

My husband went down to the baby and said "It's Joel Peter!" and I cried! I couldn't believe I have a son. The midwife put him on my belly and we got to lay there just looking at him for a long time. I didn't really notice his size.

My placenta gave us a little trouble, however...it took just over an hour to deliver. Part of it had not detached at the top, just where the midwife couldn't reach it. After massaging my uterus and pulling from the inside as far as she could reach, she called in the doctor on call and they began to ready the operating room for me, just in case. I was beginning to hemmorhage and I was very tired of being picked on with my feet still in the stirrups. Just as they were getting ready to wheel me down to surgery bag and baggage, the doctor pulled a large clot out and then the placenta slid right out. It felt so good! After only 6.5 hours of labor, I was done. It felt so easy...almost like no work at all. I am still amazed at how different second labors can be.

While I was being stitched up. the nurses came and took Joel to weigh him and clean him up a little (though I'd already rubbed a lot of his vernix in). Both the midwife and I almost fell off the bed when they said "He's 9.12!"
We said, "He's what!?" and burst out laughing. He sure didn't feel that big coming out...I thought he must be fairly small because he was so easy!

They put an IV in me to reestablish fluid and give me some Pitocin to stop the hemmorhaging, but it was out the next morning. I almost escaped getting one altogether, but oh well. I'm happy that I didn't need any kind of intervention until after he was born. So that's my birth story...I am so grateful that it was easier this time! Natural childbirth can actually be enjoyable when you don't have back labor. And my recovery has been so painless and quick that I can't imagine doing it any other way. Thanks for all your support, ladies, it's so wonderful to have you to lean on. I almost can't wait to do it again...in a few years

Joel Peter S., 9 pounds, 12 ounces. 21 inches long. 10:36 am, 6/23/09

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

July 2nd, 2009, 08:11 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
Amazing!!! He is sooo cute. Congrats, you did great!!!
July 2nd, 2009, 08:45 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
congratulations! What a great birth story!

He is precious, and so chunky looking! Look at those cheeks.

July 2nd, 2009, 09:26 AM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Incredible! Great job mama!
July 2nd, 2009, 09:27 AM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
At 9 pounds 12 ounces I would feel pretty slighted if he didn't have chubby cheeks

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

July 2nd, 2009, 03:05 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I always think those 9lb + babies are so much cuter at birth because they all ready have the fat checks!
July 2nd, 2009, 04:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
AWWWWWWWW! You made me cry! That was an awesome birth story! WTG and your "prize" is absolutely adorable!!

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
July 2nd, 2009, 06:32 PM
rachna's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
WOW what an amazing story! Great job!
July 3rd, 2009, 05:35 AM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
aww, what a cutie! congratulations on a job well done!
i only had pain for 30 minutes in my second labour... but i totally envy the way you describe yours. when i have pain, it is PAINFUL as all hell, lol.
enjoy that new little guy, mama. and thanks for sharing your story!!
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

July 3rd, 2009, 08:18 AM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
What a great birth story! I love your reaction to his birth weight...what a good sized baby! I am so glad it all turned out well! He is gorgeous!

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

July 3rd, 2009, 09:12 AM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congratulations! What a great story. Thanks for sharing!

July 3rd, 2009, 10:17 AM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congratulations! He is precious and looks every oz of his 9lbs 12oz with those cheeks.

Your birth story gives me so much hope! I had so much intense pain with a malpositioned baby (and a c-section as a result) so it's just so encouraging for me to read about how a normal presentation makes labor a totally different experience. Thank you!!

July 3rd, 2009, 12:28 PM
niknok's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to niknok
Wow Mama- awesome job! I loved reading your birth story. Joel is just gorgeous.

Come visit my blog!
July 3rd, 2009, 01:52 PM
mom2bri's Avatar Super Mommy
Wow you definitely made it sound easy! Great job mama!!!! Congratulations he is adorable

Make a pregnancy ticker

July 3rd, 2009, 01:53 PM
~ Ada ~'s Avatar Zen
Congratulations, your birth story is an inspiration and Joel is adorable!

A family is a place where minds come in contact with one another.
If these minds love one another the home will be as beautiful as a flower garden.
But if these minds get out of harmony with one another it is like a storm that plays havoc with the garden.

~ Buddha

July 3rd, 2009, 02:15 PM
tygrss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
GASP! He is gorgeous! Congrats mama!

July 3rd, 2009, 06:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
He is adorable, congratulations!

Expecting baby #4!

July 3rd, 2009, 06:56 PM
cheezpoofs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congratulations! He's adorable! You did good work, Mama!

July 4th, 2009, 12:53 PM
AshleyMarie's Avatar Proud Mommy of Two
Send a message via MSN to AshleyMarie
Congratulations Sara!! He is adorable! Love the chubby cheeks and all that dark hair!!

July 4th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Mom4Life_11's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congratulations! He is a big boy and super cute!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search