Bradley Method videos?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 2nd, 2009, 08:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I am wanting to do the Bradley Method. I got onto their website to look for classes and the closest one is 2 hours from me. I personally am not willing nor able to travel 2 hours.

I am wondering if any of you ladies know any good videos on the Bradley Method. I am currently reading the Bradley Method book but I want to be able to practice the techniques properly.

Is there any other resources I can use. And did anyone who used this method just read a book, and was able to make it?
July 3rd, 2009, 08:38 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I havent looked into it much although you have inspired me to start. Have you looked around on youtube?

This is what I found:

Quote:
The Bradley organization does not offer instructional dvd's or any self study program. The only way to take a Bradley class is with a Bradley teacher. You may get some Bradley information by reading Dr Bradley's book Husband Coached Childbirth and Sue McCutcheon's Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way. While these books are not the Bradley Method course, some Bradley information is certainly better than none. I would also suggest that if finances are a problem, let your local Bradley teacher(s) know this. Many teachers will offer discounts or other accommodations if someone is in financial need, it doesn't hurt to ask!
So I dont think there are any... I couldnt find any. I saw many hypnobirthing dvds. Maybe you could go that route??

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011

Last edited by GrowBabyGrow; July 3rd, 2009 at 08:44 AM.
July 3rd, 2009, 12:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I am going to read the Bradley Method book, which I am already on chapter 6 and LOVE IT... but will be looking into hypnobirthing...

There is a birthing class that I was told by my OB to take BUT reading the course description I am going to most likely opt out of it because it is Lamaze and after reading some stuff in the Bradley book I do not want Lamaze...

Do you know a good hypnobirthing book?
July 3rd, 2009, 12:23 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
im currently taking bradley classes...i have to drive an hour and a half but its totally worth it to me.

the classes are more directed toward the husband/coach. i am on week 6 of 12 weeks and i can scan you the info if you want...we get TONS of handouts. I wont be able to do it this weekend, well maybe sunday..but i am more than happy to share them with you because it is such a great course. as for the videos we have watched in class, they have all just been videos of natural child birth

in class we work on relaxation technique, squatting, doing the butterfly (sitting on the floor with the bottom of your feet touching and then having your coach push down on your legs), we lay on our left side and work on breathing while coach massages us...one thing we had to do that was really irritating but i have found to be really important was lay and have "contractions" during our "contraction" coach had to hold an ice cube on our temple for a minute or so and we had to breathe through it (it is REALLY uncomfortable, but nothing compared to a contraction i imagine)...and it was awesome to figure out a why to tone the discomfort out..for me it was staring at this blue speck on the instructor's wall.

but if you would like me to foward you any of this information feel free to either email me (chelsea.kenkel@gmail.com) or pm me on here!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
July 7th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It's definately not Lamaze! Lamaze counts on controlling specific breathing patterns, and can lead to hyperventilating. The Bradley method relies on relaxation and just breathing normally (just make sure you are not breathing high in your chest or you can hyperventilate) and having the coach help mom maintain the relaxed state to ride out the contractions. But if you can't get to the classes you should definately look into a home study hypnobabies or hypnobirthing course, that way you get all of the info instead of just parts of what you need.
July 7th, 2009, 04:22 PM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi! that's too bad there aren't any classes closer to you. I'm in a Bradley Class right now... its a good time, and it's really empowering SO to learn about all the stuff he can do for me in labor. I know there are a couple Bradley books out there, so maybe look into getting another one.

I also recommend Ina May's Guide to Childbirth and HypnoBirthing:The Mongan Method. The parts of the HypnoBirthing book that I really liked were the sleep breathing and relaxations. However the book was what made me decide not to take the class, since it was a little pushy, but i practice the relaxation every night and I like that aspect of it. Basically I would stick to the positive stuff and not read any of the "typical" preggo books... like what to expect when you're expecting, etc.

Is your DH on board with the Bradley?? Encourage him to read all the books, too, since he'll be the one helping you.

Did some people say "The Business of being Born" is a good video to watch?? I thought I saw that somewhere back awhile ago.

Good luck!

July 8th, 2009, 12:00 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
the business of being born is AWESOME! I think every pregnant woman should watch it!!!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
July 8th, 2009, 07:14 AM
JT_Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The Business of Being Born is actually the thing that got me looking into natural childbirth. One thing I liked about it is it had a woman who ended up w a C-Section, so it shows that sometimes your plans don't work out. It made me realize how important it is to learn about ALL the alternatives in case you have valid complications.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search