Birth Plans?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 3rd, 2009, 11:07 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I have choosen to go with a OB Dr instead of a mid-wife....

I see five different Drs at the place I am going. Should this be my time to start coming up with a birth plan because I want a NCB. I have been told but a couple friends who have went there that there are two Drs that are c-section fanatics.

Where can I get info on what to put in a birth plan? And when should I have this presented to them so they can attach it in my chart?
July 3rd, 2009, 11:32 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i went with a midwife, and she gave us a copy of "her" birth plan, which i took into consideration when i made my birth plan - because hers was almost verbatim what i hoped for. i just made a few changes here and there..but i believe if you google birth plan format you get tons of options for websites that have them, and you add or take away what you want from them....i think my original layout came from birthplans.com but i could totally be making that up! Just make sure your OB is well aware of your hopes for a NCB and has a copy of your birth plan. You should be able to tell by their reaction if they're going to be supportive of your wishes.

also, when you go into labor my best advice is to tape a copy of your birth plan to your door, give one to the nurse that checks you in, have your coach have a copy in hand (since youre doing bradley, the course really encourages that your coach be firm in what youre hoping for and not let anyone push you around...for instance at my hospital even though im going with a midwife the hospital policy is that an anestologist come in and let you know epidurals are available and my husband has already been instructed that as soon as that person comes into our room he is to kick them out immediately. and in my birth plan it says in HUGE letters "I understand that drugs are available to me and I will ask for them if I need them. DO NOT OFFER ME ANY NARCOTICS) which my midwife said is perfectly appropriate because I can sign the paperwork at my next appt so the anestesologist has my info if i need an emergency c.

birth plans are awesome, but just make sure you allow a little wiggle room in casea your birth doesn't go exactly as you dream it will....things can always go wrong unfortunately

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
July 3rd, 2009, 09:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks!
July 4th, 2009, 08:45 AM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
Try to make it fairly short too. A 3 page birth plan isn't likely to get read. Also, you could contact the hospital and find out what their policies are. (Did you say you were taking a tour next month?) Sometimes OBs will tell you one thing when that is just their preference and isn't actually the way things "have" to be. GL!

July 4th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I am not taking a tour of the birthing center... I have taken too many women who I have helped them give birth up there... I work with the hospital so I know how it all goes up there and I am well aware of the stubborn, hard headed nurses whom I have encountered up there...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search