Interesting; if you want to be disgusted

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 3rd, 2009, 07:35 PM
NutMeg76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Heart Failure - Miscarriage of Justice

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
July 4th, 2009, 11:08 AM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
Wow. Just, wow. That comment from the midwife about a woman in pain made me cry. And yet another reason I am terrified of surgery and the current status quo in medicine.

Last edited by PixieQueen; July 4th, 2009 at 11:17 AM.
July 4th, 2009, 11:43 AM
.adi.
I couldn't get very far into that...
July 4th, 2009, 09:29 PM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
Holy smokes. Wow. I never would have thought...

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

July 5th, 2009, 06:51 AM
I hd to read the entire thing, it is realy just very sad. The orst part is the beginning, but it is all just very disturbing.

When they persisted in questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "Let the person among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7
Sail Back to Me
July 5th, 2009, 09:30 AM
liveandlove0725's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for posting! Very informative!!
July 5th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Snow Mami
Disturbing. Also very poorly presented makes it difficult to read.
July 6th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
I agree, it was difficult to read - literally, not just because of the content.

But, that is sad, sad, sad!

July 6th, 2009, 09:44 AM
ShaunaB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I couldn't read the whole thing. How disturbing and scary!
July 6th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Del4's Avatar Super Mommy
I want to go into forensic pathology, but reading things like this REALLY make me want to go into obstetrics and attempt to change things from the inside. I think a lot of women who want to be midwives, should instead go into obstetrics. If enough of us did it, things would change. Not overnight, but we have to start somewhere and it doesn't look like anyone already in it plans to do anything any time soon.

July 7th, 2009, 11:13 AM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've teetered on the edge of going to med school several times, but I haven't chosen to do so because of those reasons. I think that most doctors go into it with good intentions but come out having to protect their livelihood and they didn't learn how to be good doctors while there. I'd probably still consider it but now that I have a LO and knowing how brutal the schedule is, I couldn't do that to her.

July 7th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thats sickening...

When Shea was doing his rotations at the hospital in labor and delivery I asked him if the nurses asked if it was alright for a student to join and he said no. He said the nurse would just tell him to walk in with everyone and stand there. I just thought that was kind of wrong to be bringing in students without at least asking permission.

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
July 7th, 2009, 02:20 PM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Just finished reading it (I didn't get all the way through before posting) and saw this:

Quote:
"We're going to 'section her," I hear a doctor say.

"Of all the 36 countries I have visited to observe maternity facilities," writes Doris Haire, past president of the International Childbirth Education Association. "I am absolutely convinced that the United States has to be the most bizarre on earth in its management of obstetrics."
Wow..

July 9th, 2009, 07:58 AM
Mystic_Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Mystic_Mommy
that's messed up....

July 11th, 2009, 06:44 AM
COuld you imagine posting this in a DDC?

Sail Back to Me
July 11th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Why not?? I posted it in my old DDc (from Rei) and on my facebook. I would have put it up in my DDC this time, if I had one. But I wasn't a fan of mine, so I stayed out lol. I tried to post a couple times, but blah. Man, if people want to stay ignorant, go for it, but at least they can't say no one tried to warn them. I feel it's sort of a duty to share any info I come across like this, especially when it's potentially harmful (and unknown) to so many!

July 11th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Maybe it was just my last DDC but I was told I was wrong jsut to post stuff about epidurals or natural birth, so this would probably have been over the top for some of the members.

Sail Back to Me
July 11th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Yeah, that sucks. I'm sorry! I looked here and on Pregnancy Weekly and they were both just so ..... I don't know. It didn't seem like I'd click well with many people in there, so I just tried to stay out. I am sad I wasn't able to find what I found with Reicher in a group of women this time, but oh well. It definitely shows me something, though. When I had Reicher almost 2 years ago (pregnancies started roughly 3 years ago), many of the women were questioning things that "needed to be done" to them and their babies throughout the pregnancies and for the births. This time around, I noticed many people not even questioning these things. Just taking the doctor's word that it's necessary. I think I would have had too hard of a time keeping my mouth shut in many of those situations. I spoke up a bit in my PW board and it didn't go over well lol. I stopped posting shortly thereafter. Pregnancy/Labor/Delivery are one of the only things out there I can think of that has raging opinions, but when someone is actually educated on the stuff, they're the idiot. It's ridiculous. Blah, I could rant about this for hours. Sorry lol.

July 11th, 2009, 06:17 PM
tygrss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sounds about right.
It took a lot of effort for me to finish medical school and residency without being TOTALLY jaded. Alot of the disconnect is self-preservation. You can't look at people with all of the sickness/disease/etc that we see every day and allow yourself to totally connect without going totally crazy. The other issue for residents and medical students in lack of sleep. Try being up for 24+ hours every three-four days taking care of sick patients (and working 12+ hour days the other days) and see how nice you are! That said, making fun of patients and being rude is totally uncalled for. Also, where I went to school there was actually a portion on the consent saying "I do/do not consent to allowing medical or nursing students to PARTICIPATE in my medical care with supervision." It went on to list all kinds of procedures. We were also introduced as medical students and the patient was given a chance to decline our presence.

Finally, alot of what goes on in American medicine has to do with prevent lawsuits. It's a fact. I get tired of people talking about "in such-and-such country they don't order "x,y,z" test......" Yeah, in "such-in-such" country they don't have people trying to sue you for things that you had nothing to do with or for missing something that only happens 1 in a million cases! I think a lot would change if you didn't have to worry about being sued for doing something in good faith and that is within the norms of standards-of-practice.

Anyhow, that said, still a disturbing blog.

July 11th, 2009, 07:32 PM
I agree with you on the point, Tygrss, that medicine is besically run nowadays on the idea that they'll do just about anything to keep from getting sued. The problem with that is, doctors, nurses and anyone else in the medical field are supposed to do what's best for the patient, not what's best for themselves. They are not told to go into the job and then protect themselves at all costs - even if it means to the detriment of the patient - which in the OB world, it usually is.

I'm not saying I don't agree that we have some sue-*** happy people in this country and no one wanting to take responsibility for anything. That's part of why I think NCB and educating yourself about any medical care you receive or possibly "need" is always your best bet. Then, when something goes wrong, you know you've done everything you possibly can and so has your doctor (or not, if such is the case).

I know doctors are often scared and many will even lose their malpractice insurance if they don't practice under certain "safe" guidelines, but I still think it's disgusting and wrong for these people to go against their morals (because, really, most are not monsters) just to keep their own behinds safe. That is my issue. In most cases nowadays, it's not about what's in the best interest of the patient, it's about what's in the best interest of the doctor/hospital/practice.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search