hypnobabies vs hypnobirthing?

Forum: Natural Childbirth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Natural Childbirth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 5th, 2009, 07:58 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
I have heard good things about Hypnobabies and Hypnobirthing. So what's the essential difference? How do I decide which one to go with? Do any of you have experiences with one or the other, or both? What do you recommend?

Thanks!
July 6th, 2009, 07:27 AM
noworries
From what I have heard, hypnobabies has a higher success rate. It is more in depth and teaches you actual self-hypnosis to deal with the contractions where-as hypnobirthing really just teaches you deep relaxation and visualization (in my experience anyways). Hypnobirthing worked really well for me but I know quite a few others that weren't able to get the natural birth they were planning for with hypnobirthing. Hypnobirthing doesn't teach any of the stages of labor or anything, it strictly teaches relaxation and visualization techniques. Hypnobabies goes through all the stages of labor and what is going on with your body, etc.
Hypnobirthing you have to take a class but hypnobabies can be done in a class or as a home study on your own.
July 6th, 2009, 07:51 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to WendyBird Send a message via Yahoo to WendyBird
I used HypnoBabies. I looked into both, and in fact checked out the HypnoBirthing book from the library. What I found is a lot of what Carrie said.

HypnoBirthing is a program to help you relax and visualize through a CD. You have to take classes with your spouse, and he will have to learn some scripts to guide you through stuff.

With HypnoBabies, it can be done without a support person. You order the program and it arrives with everything you need. You learn how to put yourself into a hypnotic state. One where you are still awake and functioning (i.e. - talking, walking, aware, etc), but without any pain. You don't have to listen to the same CD over and over again, as there are several different ones you go through. You need a minimum of 6 weeks before labor to effectively use the program. Preferably more. I started at 20 weeks, which was a bit too soon, but it got me very ready.

One thing I noticed, is that you really have to take an active role. You have to CHOOSE to make it work for you. You have to practice every day. But, it doesn't take long, and it's sooooo worth it.

If you have any questions, let me know. One nice thing, too, is that you can buy a used program directly from the site (don't buy from anywhere but HypnoBabies directly - there are forgeries going around). And, when you're all done, they will buy it back from you. Not full price, but not bad!

July 6th, 2009, 08:21 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
If you can find a class near you that might be a deciding factor. I plan on using one next time. The homebirth midwife we will be using is a hypnobirth instructor so that may be the deciding factor for me.

You don't need an actual class but I would be tempted just because it would give me a chance to really focus away from home and Cadie, the pets etc. Just a thought.
July 6th, 2009, 11:36 AM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
This is really helpful, thanks. I did some more google searching and Hypnobabies does seem to have a better reputation. There is no Hypnobabies class near me, but there is a Hypnobirthing class. But I think I will just look for a good bargain on the Hypnobabies home study course and do that.
July 6th, 2009, 02:51 PM
**Jenn**'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I did hypnobirthing with both boys and loved it. It worked very well for me. My first labor was actually pain free (until they wouldn't let me push because the doctor wasn't ready ). My second was more intense at the end but pain free until that point (I went from 5-5 1/2 cm to baby in my arms in 50 minutes).

I took the classes at the hospital I delivered my first son at and my instructor did go over all the stages of labor and really went into detail, not just the visualization. We learned a lot of self-hypnosis techniques, visualization, what your body does during labor, stages of labor, different positions, etc. I think maybe because she was an LD nurse at that hospital and just used hypnobirthing with her DD recently, she had more knowledge and felt it was important to include in the class.

I do think hypnobabies has a better success rate though but it probably depends on the effort you put into it and how good of an instructor you have if you take the classes.

Ailish Laura born October 20th, 2012.
8lbs 12oz and 20.75 inches

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search